[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Problem with ATI VGA Wonder 512 OEM version

kew@uucs1.UUCP (kew) (11/30/90)

I am having a problem with my ATI VGA Wonder.  It is a 512K OEM (no mouse)
version.  The problem is that when I run certain programs (links,
battle chess, grasprt) the screen goes blank.  I am using it with a
ViewSonic 4 monitor.

I have it set up for multisync operation.  I have tried all of the other
settings (NEC 2D, NEC 3D, 8514, etc) but nothing seems to do the trick.
I also tried a Seiko CM-1430 monitor and it did the same thing.

Is this a known problem?  Have I set it up wrong?  Is my board bad?  Help.

Thanks in advance.
--
Kenneth E. Wharton                 |     ** But it's a dry heat! **
UUCS inc.   Phoenix, Az            |

daly@ecs.umass.edu (12/01/90)

In article <358@uucs1.UUCP>, kew@uucs1.UUCP (kew) writes:
> I am having a problem with my ATI VGA Wonder.  It is a 512K OEM (no mouse)
> version.  The problem is that when I run certain programs (links,
> battle chess, grasprt) the screen goes blank.  I am using it with a
> ViewSonic 4 monitor.
>
> I have it set up for multisync operation.  I have tried all of the other
> settings (NEC 2D, NEC 3D, 8514, etc) but nothing seems to do the trick.
> I also tried a Seiko CM-1430 monitor and it did the same thing.
>
> Is this a known problem?  Have I set it up wrong?  Is my board bad?  Help.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> --
> Kenneth E. Wharton                 |     ** But it's a dry heat! **
> UUCS inc.   Phoenix, Az            |
> ncar!noao!asuvax!hrc!uucs1!kew           sun!sunburn!gtx!uucs1!kew

I don't think its a bad board.  When I first bought my ATI VGA WONDER board
(orig, with mouse), I tried to run F19 Stealth Fighter on it, and I experienced
a similar problem, with the screen going blank, and the computer locking up
immediately after I selected the VGA mode (or was it MCGA?).  But anyway, I
called ATI, and the Tech. Rep. told me that for some games I would have to
run the VCONFIG program that came with the board.  I was to type:
VCONFIG FIX ON
and when I was done:
VCONFIG FIX OFF
I noticed that when the fix was on, some things seemed to take a very long time
to be displayed on the screen (the card ran very slowly) but other things
ran fine (such as the game I wanted to play).  This command option for vconfig
is not mentioned in the manual.  F19 was the only program I think I ever needed
to do that for, but I haven't really used that programs that you mentioned,
except I think Battle Chess (is that EGA?) worked OK.
Maybe this is the same problem you have....

Good luck,
Bryon Daly
daly@ecs.umass.edu
----
DISCLAIMER: I tried to speak for my employers, but they told me to shut up!