[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] numlock - automatically turn it on

leonard@qiclab.uucp (Leonard Erickson) (12/02/90)

baileyc@tramp.Colorado.EDU (BAILEY CHRISTOPHER R) writes:

>I need a program or something to turn on the keypad (numlock to on)
>automatically every time I boot.  I have an XT clone with Phoenix bios,
>and a Keytronic 101 keyboard.

Sorry, but what you want is *totally* impossible. On an XT the keyboard
never had lights. And it only had an 83-key keyboard. So if you set
the bios bit for numlock in the computer, the keyboard won't change. And
that means that the cursor pad will give numbers *too*.

On an AT, the BIOS *teklls* the keyboard that the internal bit has been
switched, so the keyboard remains synched with the computer. XTs have
no provision for sending that sort of message to the keyboard.

So you are going to have to manually enable numlock everytime you boot.
And I suggest picking up a copy of the PC Magazine utility called
TOGGLE.COM. It will display and/or set the numlock, capslock and
scroll lock staus OF THE COMPUTER. With a 101 keyboard on an XT you need
this so you can get the computer synched to the keyboard again after
running one of the badly behaved programs that takes it upon itself
to change one of those flags.

--
Leonard Erickson			leonard@qiclab.uucp
personal:	CIS: [70465,203]	70465.203@compuserve.com