[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Compress for MS-DOS

anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Anthony Lee) (11/26/90)

Several months ago, I received a compress.exe from someone via this group.
Anyway I used it on one PC, but then when I try to use it on another
PC it didn't work.  It complained about a zero pointer or it will cause
the machine to freeze.  I am only interested only in a compress.exe
that will run on an XT not AT.  Could someone help.

Thanks in advance
Anthony
--
Anthony Lee (Michaelangelo teenage mutant ninja turtle) (Time Lord Doctor)
ACSnet:	anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz	TEL:+(61)-7-371-2651

anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Anthony Lee) (11/27/90)

In <5896@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au> anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Anthony Lee) writes:

>Several months ago, I received a compress.exe from someone via this group.
>Anyway I used it on one PC, but then when I try to use it on another
>PC it didn't work.  It complained about a zero pointer or it will cause
>the machine to freeze.  I am only interested only in a compress.exe
>that will run on an XT not AT.  Could someone help.

Many thanks to those people who have sent me reply.  I've received
a version that seems to work on both our PC.  However if you have a
version that will work on a 512K machine, that's even better.

cheers Anthony
--

leonard@qiclab.uucp (Leonard Erickson) (12/02/90)

anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Anthony Lee) writes:

>Several months ago, I received a compress.exe from someone via this group.
>Anyway I used it on one PC, but then when I try to use it on another
>PC it didn't work.

Sounds like you have the same one I have. To be able to support
full 16-bit compression, it *requires* a machine with something
in the neighborhood of 530k *free*.
--
Leonard Erickson			leonard@qiclab.uucp
personal:	CIS: [70465,203]	70465.203@compuserve.com