[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] 1024x768 mono VGA

kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) (11/23/90)

Why doesn't anybody make a VGA monochrome monitor with better than
800x600 resolution?  I want high resolution, but I don't care about
colour.  In addition, I don't have the $ to spend on colour, but I'm
sure I could afford a high resolution VGA mono display.

I'm sure there are more people like me.  Witness the high resolution
displays on the SUNs and the NeXTs.  There definitely is a market.

NEC, Magnavox, Samsung, Goldstar, etc: are you listening?

--
  favourite oxymorons:  student athlete, honest politician, civil war
Ken Hendrickson N8DGN/6       kjh@usc.edu      ...!uunet!usc!pollux!kjh

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (11/23/90)

From article <28360@usc>, by kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson):
> Why doesn't anybody make a VGA monochrome monitor with better than
> 800x600 resolution?  I want high resolution, but I don't care about
> colour.  In addition, I don't have the $ to spend on colour, but I'm
> sure I could afford a high resolution VGA mono display.

I think the Princeton MAX-15 goes up to 1024x768 with grey scale.  It
cost about $240 the last time I looked.  Of course, it's 15" diagonal.  Its
been out for a long, long, long time (yea, like more than 3 years).

E. Teng Ong (ong@d.cs.okstate.edu)
Computer Science Dept.
Oklahoma State University

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (11/27/90)

In article <28360@usc> kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) writes:
|Why doesn't anybody make a VGA monochrome monitor with better than
|800x600 resolution?  I want high resolution, but I don't care about
|colour.  In addition, I don't have the $ to spend on colour, but I'm
|sure I could afford a high resolution VGA mono display.

Have you looked at the IBM 8517? 19 inch monochrome, 1024x768.
I saw it at a trade show. Ask IBM about it, I don't know any more.

--
Compost: it's the right thing to do.

krab@iesd.auc.dk (Kresten Krab Thorup) (11/28/90)

You should be able to get one.. Try your local
PC-clone dealer.

I know VIP/AUTO-COMPUTER makes such ones

Kresten

rmf@bpdsun1.uucp (Rob Finley) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov26.205829.14362@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
>In article <28360@usc> kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) writes:
>|Why doesn't anybody make a VGA monochrome monitor with better than
>|800x600 resolution?  I want high resolution, but I don't care about
>|colour.  In addition, I don't have the $ to spend on colour, but I'm
>|sure I could afford a high resolution VGA mono display.
>
>Have you looked at the IBM 8517? 19 inch monochrome, 1024x768.
>I saw it at a trade show. Ask IBM about it, I don't know any more.

I keep seeing the IBM 8507 19" in Computer Shopper and it seems reasonable
at about $700 or so.  I have one question:  does anyone have specs on this
beast?  Will it do 60hz vertical and 45Khz horizontal?
My local ComputerLand doesn't admit to its existance.

When you saw it, did it look ok?  Fuzzy around the corners?  wiggle?
Was the front of the tube reasonably flat?

Last but not least, does any one have a Princeton Max-15 monochrome monitor
and are you happy with it?

-----
 "Lets go kick some Earthling butt!" -- Spaced Invaders

                                    quintro!bpdsun1!rmf@lll-winken.llnl.gov
                                    uunet!tiamat!quintro!bpdsun1!rmf

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (11/30/90)

rmf@bpdsun1.uucp (Rob Finley) writes:

>In article <1990Nov26.205829.14362@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
>>Have you looked at the IBM 8517? 19 inch monochrome, 1024x768.
>>I saw it at a trade show. Ask IBM about it, I don't know any more.

>I keep seeing the IBM 8507 19" in Computer Shopper and it seems reasonable

You could be right about the part number being 8507. I really don't
remember.

>at about $700 or so.  I have one question:  does anyone have specs on this
>beast?  Will it do 60hz vertical and 45Khz horizontal?

I don't think so. I believe it was 8514 timing compatible.

>When you saw it, did it look ok?  Fuzzy around the corners?  wiggle?
>Was the front of the tube reasonably flat?

Looked ok to me. Where you're going to get a VGA card that can drive
it with reasonable Windows performance is beyond me.

--
Compost: it's the right thing to do.

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (11/30/90)

kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) writes:

> Why doesn't anybody make a VGA monochrome monitor with better than
> 800x600 resolution?  I want high resolution, but I don't care about
> colour.  In addition, I don't have the $ to spend on colour, but I'm
> sure I could afford a high resolution VGA mono display.

I believe that Everex also has a high resolution monitor (something like
1280x1024?) that is called something like Ultragraphics.  I'm not completely
sure as to whether "Ultragraphics" refers to the controlling card or the
monitor, or both.

derek
--
Derek Terveer						det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG
Minnesota Field Hockey Association,  North Central Section

rmf@bpdsun1.uucp (Rob Finley) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov29.204719.9322@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
>rmf@bpdsun1.uucp (Rob Finley) writes:
>
>>In article <1990Nov26.205829.14362@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
>>>Have you looked at the IBM 8517? 19 inch monochrome, 1024x768.
>>>I saw it at a trade show. Ask IBM about it, I don't know any more.
>
>>I keep seeing the IBM 8507 19" in Computer Shopper and it seems reasonable
>
>You could be right about the part number being 8507. I really don't
>remember.
>
>>at about $700 or so.  I have one question:  does anyone have specs on this
>>beast?  Will it do 60hz vertical and 45Khz horizontal?
>
>I don't think so. I believe it was 8514 timing compatible.
>
>>When you saw it, did it look ok?  Fuzzy around the corners?  wiggle?
>>Was the front of the tube reasonably flat?
>
>Looked ok to me. Where you're going to get a VGA card that can drive
>it with reasonable Windows performance is beyond me.

I want to hook it to my RasterOps board on my MacII B-) B-).

Somehow it wants a crazy monitor that will do 60hz vertical and 45khz
horizontal and I don't want to shell out $3500 for the obviously nice
but too-much-money Sony monitor that they sell for it...

I am asking these questions here because Princeton only markets the
Max-15 monochrome monitor in msdos machine journals...

Sorry to correct you on the model number.  I thought that maybe they
came out with an extended version of the 8507 and called it an 8517 B-).

-----

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (12/04/90)

rmf@bpdsun1.uucp (Rob Finley) writes:
>Somehow it wants a crazy monitor that will do 60hz vertical and 45khz
>horizontal and I don't want to shell out $3500 for the obviously nice
>but too-much-money Sony monitor that they sell for it...

Since the 8507 works with the 8514 video adaptor, I strongly suspect
it operates in interlaced mode at 1024x768, meaning 35 KHz horizontal,
90 Hz vertical. Thus I would not recommend it for your application.

--
Compost: it's the right thing to do.