[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Boot of A:, switch to C:?

ron@vpnet.chi.il.us (Ron Winograd) (12/01/90)

Hello everyone,
	I have a 386, running both MS-DOS 4.01 and UNIX System V.
My question: I have the active hd partition on unix, because that
is the only way I know how to start it. This means that if I want MS-DOS,
I have to boot off a floppy. However, if I do, then I have to keep it in
everytime I exit a program, like Word, or Delux Paint etc.. because it
needs command.com. Is there anyway to "switch control" over to the C:
drive, without having to use fdisk to switch active paritions again and
rebooting?
-Ron
|Ron Winograd       |Some boy scouts were taking a survey. They knocked on a|
|ron@vpnet.chi.il.us|door and asked the gruff man who answered, "Sir, do you|
|-------------------|think that ignorance or apathy are the biggest problems|
|in America?" Annoyed, he answered, "I don't know, and I really don't care!"|

plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim) (12/03/90)

/ ron@vpnet.chi.il.us (Ron Winograd) /  2:55 pm  Dec  1, 1990 / writes:

> Hello everyone,
> 	I have a 386, running both MS-DOS 4.01 and UNIX System V.
> My question: I have the active hd partition on unix, because that
> is the only way I know how to start it. This means that if I want MS-DOS,
> I have to boot off a floppy. However, if I do, then I have to keep it in
> everytime I exit a program, like Word, or Delux Paint etc.. because it
> needs command.com. Is there anyway to "switch control" over to the C:
> drive, without having to use fdisk to switch active paritions again and
> rebooting?
> -Ron

YES ! Ron, no problem. All you have to do is to include the following
line in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file on your boot floppy ...

	SET COMSPEC=C:\COMMAND.COM

Assuming that you have an appropriate copy of COMMAND.COM in the root
directory of your C: drive. From then on, you can remove your floopy
disk and COMMAND.COM will be loaded from your C: drive.

Regards,     . .. ... .- -> -->## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
                                             Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

ron@vpnet.chi.il.us (Ron Winograd) (12/03/90)

Thank you to all who responded. It turns out that the soloution was
incredibly simple. All I needed to was put the line:
set comspec=c:\command.com
in my autoexec.bat, and it worked like a charm. Thanx

pete@indep1.UUCP (Peter Franks) (12/04/90)

In article <27573f78-5d6comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc@vpnet.chi.il.us> ron@vpnet.chi.il.us (Ron Winograd) writes:
->Hello everyone,
->	I have a 386, running both MS-DOS 4.01 and UNIX System V.
->My question: I have the active hd partition on unix, because that
->is the only way I know how to start it. This means that if I want MS-DOS,
->I have to boot off a floppy. However, if I do, then I have to keep it in
->everytime I exit a program, like Word, or Delux Paint etc.. because it
->needs command.com. Is there anyway to "switch control" over to the C:
->drive, without having to use fdisk to switch active paritions again and
->rebooting?

Try putting the following into your A:\AUTOEXEC.BAT

set COMSPEC=c:\command.com
c:

That will make the system look for command.com on Drive C: instead of
the drive you booted from (and log you into it).  If you have COMMAND.COM
in a different place, use the entire path in the 'set COMSPEC' line.  You could
do virtually the same thing in your CONFIG.SYS file using the 'SHELL='
command.  RTFM.

|  Peter Franks  |          pete@indep1.mcs.com  OR  pete@indep1.uucp          |
|      NI9D      |                   Use whichever one works                   |

nee@cf_su14.Salomon.Com (Robert Nee) (12/04/90)

> Is there anyway to "switch control" over to the C:
> drive, without having to use fdisk to switch active paritions again and
> rebooting?

The DOS environment variable COMSPEC is set at boot time to
point to the command processors file so that it may be reloaded
if needed.  Since you are booting from a floppy it will
default to point to the copy found on your floppy or

COMPSEC=A:\COMMAND.COM

in order to allow DOS to reload COMMAND.COM from your C drive
place to following command in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file

Set COMSPEC=C:\COMMAND.COM

This assumes of course that the file actually resides in the
root rirectory of your C drive.

Robert Nee