[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] X-terminal emulation

f36608s@puukko.hut.fi (Erik Bunn) (11/29/90)

I saw somebody mention a X-terminal emulator for pc's. Can anyone elaborate
on this? We might consider getting these for four 386's connected to
X-servers by Ethernet cables. On the surface it seems that this way
we would get 4 dos work stations AND x-terminal emulation. The other
option would be 4 X-terminals, which doesn't seem nearly as versatile.
So: how fast/slow/good/bad/anything else would such an emulator be?
Are they PD or commercial? Can someone tell me where to order or ftp
one?

Thank you;

Erik Bunn				I
f36608s@puukko.hut.fi  (Internet)	I	"You see, I missed her

py@meadow.uucp (Peter Yeung) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov28.191934.29319@santra.uucp> f36608s@puukko.hut.fi (Erik Bunn) writes:

>I saw somebody mention a X-terminal emulator for pc's. Can anyone elaborate
>on this? We might consider getting these for four 386's connected to
>X-servers by Ethernet cables. On the surface it seems that this way
>we would get 4 dos work stations AND x-terminal emulation. The other
>option would be 4 X-terminals, which doesn't seem nearly as versatile.
>So: how fast/slow/good/bad/anything else would such an emulator be?
>Are they PD or commercial? Can someone tell me where to order or ftp
>one?
>
>Thank you;
>

>Erik Bunn				I
>f36608s@puukko.hut.fi  (Internet)	I	"You see, I missed her

We are using PC-XVIEW on our 386SX. It works fine and can even use 800x600 (?)
high res mode on cards/monitors that support it. You will need TCP/IP on your
PC to connect to the LAN. We are using PC/TCP. You can also use Execlan with
the on board TCP/IP software which will save you a lot of RAM space.

I have also seen other similar products advertised in magazines like Byte and
Unix World. One that come to mind is HCL-eXceed from Hummingbird.

I cannot say much about speed since we are running xterm sessions only, no fancy
graphics stuff. From what we have seen, it seemed that with a 16MHz 386SX, the
bottleneck is the netowrk and the load on the host machine. With a 640K machine,
we can open 3 to 5 xterm windows depending on the size of your window. If you
use Execlan, you can definitely get more windows since the TCP/IP software is on
the ethernet card. However, there is a version with can use protected memory
above 1 Meg (we only have 1Meg :-( ).

The addresses are:

PC-XVIEW: Graphic Software Systems, Inc.
          9590 SW Gemini Drive,
          Beaverton,
          Oregon 97005
          (no phone numbers on manual)

HCL-eXceed: Hummingbird Communications Ltd.
            2900 John Street, Unit 4,
            Markham, Ontario,
            Canada L3R 5G3
            (416)470-1203 Fax: (416)470-1207

PC/TCP: FTP Software, Inc.
        26 Princess Street,
        Wakefield, MA 01880
        (617)246-0900

--
Peter Yeung     Amdahl Canada Ltd., Software Development Center
                2000 Argentia Road, Plaza 2, Suite 300

rcdswal@dutrun.UUCP (Guus van der Wal) (12/04/90)

You might look also at products called X-vision from Visionware
and TeemTalk-X by Pericom (UK)
Both programs are full implementations of X11R4 and can be used
with a number of TCP/IP products (including SUN'S PC-NFS).
Works only on 286 386 and 486 CPU's wit at least 2MB extended memory.
The programs come with easy installation menus and 3 disks full of fonts.
X-vision needs MS-Windows as a graphics base

Guus

--
Guus van der Wal
Computing Centre Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands