[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] mail order problem with Techcom

joann@racsys.UUCP (Jo Ann Rachor) (12/03/90)

It has been a while since I have come face to face with discrimation against
females in the computer industry.  I remember the days of being ignored by
computer sales help while they would wait on men and high school students
before a woman and I have been talked down to often enough that my skin is
tough.  But today takes the cake...

I made a call to TECHCOM LAB. (AKA Friendly (who are they kidding) Computers
and Kawaid) to inquire about an order placed by my husband on November 13.
He was told on the 13th that the Video Card ordered should arrive in 7 to 10
working days.  When the card had not arrived by the 28th, he called again.
He was told that there had been a mistake with a drop shipment from their
supplier and that the card would be shipped "OVERNIGHT".  Since the card had
not arrived, a second call was needed.  I had the time and my husband didn't,
so I called.

I was told that the card was shipped Nov. 30th (2 days after the promised
overnight) and it should arrive here on or before Dec. 5th.  It was shipped
UPS Blue.  When I asked about the promised overnight delivery I was told
"WOMAN, GO BACK TO THE KITCHEN AND LET YOUR HUSBAND HANDLE THIS PROBLEM."
Needless to say I was appalled.

To add fuel to the fire, Johnson, the owner, also told me that I should take
my business elsewhere because "I KNOW TOO MUCH FOR MY OWN GOOD AND I DON'T
NEED THE GOOD DEAL HE WAS OFFERING".  Of course I told him that I expected
that he would live up to any delivery date promised and that I would make
sure the net heard about his lousy attitude and service.  He then said that
I could get my technical support from the net because he would not provide
any technical support to someone who knew so much.  He also wanted me
to know that he was offering a great service because legally he was
responsible to deliver mail order merchandise within 4-6 weeks of the order and
he was still beating that date.  Again I tried to make him understand that
I would have been more than willing to wait 30 days (as provided by FTC
regulations) if that was what he had indicated as the delivery date.

So write off another mail order source who only offers hassles and put downs.

BTW, TECHCOM LABS, located in Monterey Park California, had no problem
processing a charge to my VISA account on November 16th.

	Caveat emptor....

	Jo Ann O. Rachor

--
Jo Ann Rachor
Technology Coodinator - Lake Oswego School District

mikey@shuksan.UUCP (Mike Fields) (12/06/90)

In article <225@racsys.UUCP>, joann@racsys.UUCP (Jo Ann Rachor) writes:

> It has been a while since I have come face to face with discrimation against
> females in the computer industry.  I remember the days of being ignored by
> tough.  But today takes the cake...
>
> I made a call to TECHCOM LAB. (AKA Friendly (who are they kidding) Computers
> and Kawaid) to inquire about an order placed by my husband on November 13.
> UPS Blue.  When I asked about the promised overnight delivery I was told
> "WOMAN, GO BACK TO THE KITCHEN AND LET YOUR HUSBAND HANDLE THIS PROBLEM."
> Needless to say I was appalled.
>
> So write off another mail order source who only offers hassles and put downs.
>
> BTW, TECHCOM LABS, located in Monterey Park California, had no problem
> processing a charge to my VISA account on November 16th.
>
> 	Caveat emptor....
>
> 	Jo Ann O. Rachor
> racsys!joann@flight.hf.intel.com

And now for some GOOD news - I just had an experience which reminded me
of the roadrunner cartoons - wyle goes to the mailbox to order something,
waits 15 seconds and the mail truck shows up with his order.  Same thing
just happened to me (well almost anyway).  I was looking for some
software (hijaak, adobe type mgr ) as well as the adobe postscript
cart. for the laserjet printer.  PC Connection in NH (back there on the
east coast :-) for you out-of-towners) had the items listed in their
add in PC Mag (it is usually 5 or 6 pages).  I called them at
800-243-8088 (strange the number of places associated with pc's that
have 8088,8086 etc associated with their phone numbers!!) and was told
that adobe type mgr and the postscript cart were in stock and hijaak was
on back order for 2 weeks or so.  I ordered using my credit card about
noon on tuesday (I live in Washington - the west coast version).
When I got home wednesday (yes the next day) the package was sitting
on my door and from the fact that it was cold and damp, it had been sitting`
there for some time!  (they must have known what I was going to order and
sent it last week????).  Two days later, my copy of hijaak shows up --
talk about fast service - all charges were correct (hijaak was billed when
it shipped since it was later) and I was not billed for shipping on the
back ordered item.  On top of that, the sales person was very polite --
sort of like they wanted to please me instead of it being my "duty" to
take my business to them (I refuse to do business with ANY places in
New York based on past experiences).

Just thought I'd put in a plug for someone who IS trying to run a
good business!!

mikey

--
Mikey (yes "he likes it!")