[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Coherent Unix?

hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) (11/13/90)

Anyone out there know about Coherent Unix (whose advertisement is frequently
seen in Byte magazine)? What exactly is the product? A unix operating system
or just a collection of unix utilities for DOS? Also, which magazine can I find
reviews on it?

raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen) (11/13/90)

A summary of all the comments on the Coherent package I've ever seen
posted (since the very first article asking for comments) is available
for anonymous ftp from math.princeton.edu:pub/rjc/csip/coherent.Z.
Users who cannot ftp may obtain a copy by sending the one-line mail message

	send coherent

to rjc@math.princeton.edu.  Details can be found in the Frequently
Asked Questions file.

ajayshah@almaak.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) (11/14/90)

In article <kbDrfFG00VAC02N5xk@andrew.cmu.edu> hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) writes:
>Anyone out there know about Coherent Unix (whose advertisement is frequently
>seen in Byte magazine)? What exactly is the product? A unix operating system
>or just a collection of unix utilities for DOS? Also, which magazine can I find
>reviews on it?

Coherent is indeed a true Unix.  The biggest catch is supposed to
be the fact that the C compiler only works in small memory model.

Wait for version 2 ...
Ajay Shah, (213)734-3930, ajayshah@usc.edu
                              The more things change, the more they stay insane.

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (11/15/90)

ajayshah@almaak.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:
>In article <kbDrfFG00VAC02N5xk@andrew.cmu.edu> hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) writes:
>>Anyone out there know about Coherent Unix (whose advertisement is frequently
>>seen in Byte magazine)? What exactly is the product? A unix operating system
>>or just a collection of unix utilities for DOS? Also, which magazine can I find
>>reviews on it?
>
>Coherent is indeed a true Unix.  The biggest catch is supposed to
>be the fact that the C compiler only works in small memory model.

True Unix my foot.  It's not compatable with anything at the system call and
library level.  Doesn't comply with SVID (System V Interface Definitions) or
POSIX.  Also, CCCP (Coherent-to-Coherent CoPy) is broken.  Byte did a review
of Coherent.  Turned out to be a much bigger lemon than I had even envisioned.

What was surprising is that the Byte Labs Unix benchmark did compile under
Coherent, but would not run.  Now that was worth a good laugh or two after I
read that in their review on it.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Small memory model only for
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | Unix?  Get the (*bleep*) out
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | of here!
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

dans@crpmks.UUCP (Dan Simoes ) (11/16/90)

In article <kbDrfFG00VAC02N5xk@andrew.cmu.edu> hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) writes:
>Anyone out there know about Coherent Unix (whose advertisement is frequently
>seen in Byte magazine)? What exactly is the product? A unix operating system
>or just a collection of unix utilities for DOS? Also, which magazine can I find
>reviews on it?

Coherent was reviewed in a recent Byte (a real review, not the commentary from
a previous issue).  Turns out it's similar to MKS Toolkit, and not very
effective.  Read the article.

Dan Simoes dans@crpmks.UUCP (914) 785-2250
Manhattanville College '92 Disclaimer: my opinions are my own, natch.
Quote: "Take me out tonight
        Because I want to hear music and I want to see light..."
        (The Smiths)

df@phx.mcd.mot.com (Dale Farnsworth) (11/20/90)

Dan Simoes (Info Systems) (dans@crpmks.UUCP) writes:
> Coherent was reviewed in a recent Byte (a real review, not the commentary from
> a previous issue).  Turns out it's similar to MKS Toolkit, and not very
> effective.  Read the article.

I haven't seen the Byte article, but I wouldn't call Coherent similar to
MKS Toolkit.  The MKS Toolkit is a set of programs that work with dos,
providing a Unix-like interface; Coherent is a standalone implementation
of a Unix-like kernel and utilities.  For me, Coherent 3.10 is deja vu.
It appears to exactly duplicate the Version 7 Unix on a PDP-11 that I
used in 1980 (except no source), with a few enhancements like clones of
emacs and vi.  Coherent has the same 64KB text + 64KB data limitation; it
has on-line manual pages, cc, yacc, uucp, nroff (plus troff with HP LJ output).
I marvel at how faithful the implementation seems.

Coherent is a clone of Unix as it was 10 years ago.

You'll have to decide if it fits your needs.

-Dale

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (11/21/90)

In article <5655@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>ajayshah@almaak.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:
>True Unix my foot.  It's not compatable with anything at the system call and
>library level.  Doesn't comply with SVID (System V Interface Definitions) or
>POSIX.  Also, CCCP (Coherent-to-Coherent CoPy) is broken.  Byte did a review
>of Coherent.  Turned out to be a much bigger lemon than I had even envisioned.
Did you try to test it for System V7 compatibility?  Coherent is in the
class of Minix which is a V7 clone.  More existed before SYSV and BSD.

+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton mit-eddie        |
|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           |  bu sunne}!polygen!bill     |
|                 |                           | bill@polygen.com            |
+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+

rose@galtee.cs.wisc.edu (Scott M. Rose) (11/21/90)

In article <1327@crpmks.UUCP> dans@crpmks.UUCP (Dan Simoes (Info Systems)) writes:
>Coherent was reviewed in a recent Byte (a real review, not the commentary from
>a previous issue).  Turns out it's similar to MKS Toolkit, and not very
>effective.  Read the article.

MKS Toolkit is a collection of utilities that brings some Unix functionality
to DOS.  Coherent is an entire multitasking operating system, with versions
of many of the same utilities that come with MKS Toolkit and with Unix.
This is not very profound similarity, really.

--
	Scott Rose
	rose@cs.wisc.edu

2113av@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (John Porter) (11/21/90)

In article <14092@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com> df@phx.mcd.mot.com (Dale Farnsworth) writes:
>It appears to exactly duplicate the Version 7 Unix on a PDP-11 that I
>used in 1980 (except no source), with a few enhancements like clones of
>emacs and vi.

Coherent does not have vi; it was felt by Mark Williams Co. that, given
a decent implementation of a decent editor like MicroEmacs, a bear like
vi was not necessary (I bet the code licensing had something to do with
it too).  I for one will not disagree with their decision.
--jp

acs17111@uop.EDU (M H Misnan) (11/21/90)

2113av@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (John Porter) writes:

>Coherent does not have vi; it was felt by Mark Williams Co. that, given
>a decent implementation of a decent editor like MicroEmacs, a bear like
>vi was not necessary (I bet the code licensing had something to do with
>it too).  I for one will not disagree with their decision.
>--jp

 The new version of Coherent (3.1.0) does have a vi clone (Elvis) which
 they named it as vi, elvis and view (they are all the same as Elvis).

 Hamid

Mohd H. Misnan              */*  Internet address:
University of The Pacific, */*        acs17111@uop.uop.edu
Stockton, CA 95211        */*         hmisnan@madvax.uop.edu

rpg@security.mitre.org (Robert P. Goldsmith) (11/22/90)

According to PC Magazine's recent review, it won't work with SCSI
disks.  Afetr that I stopped reading.
--
 +===========================================================================+
 |      	          << Usual disclaimers >> 			     |

acs17111@uop.EDU (M H Misnan) (11/23/90)

rpg@security.mitre.org (Robert P. Goldsmith) writes:

>According to PC Magazine's recent review, it won't work with SCSI
>disks.  Afetr that I stopped reading.

 I don't know if PC Magazine did a review on Coherent yet but Byte did..
 SCSI disks are supported under Coherent release 3.1.0. I think only
 Adaptec AHA-154x series host adapters are supported under new release.

Mohd H. Misnan              */*  Internet address:
University of The Pacific, */*        acs17111@uop.uop.edu
Stockton, CA 95211        */*         hmisnan@madvax.uop.edu

In article <5655@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:

| True Unix my foot.  It's not compatable with anything at the system call and
| library level.  Doesn't comply with SVID (System V Interface Definitions) or
| POSIX.  Also, CCCP (Coherent-to-Coherent CoPy) is broken.  Byte did a review
| of Coherent.  Turned out to be a much bigger lemon than I had even envisioned.

  I think that it is a V7 clone, much like Morrow's Z80 based "Micronix"
of years ago. Actually that may have been V6... a multitasking o/s with
compiler for $99 is not all that much of a lemon, even if it isn't UNIX.
That just means that it won't be the right solution for all problems.

  Wendin had unix and VMS clones out some years ago, which would run
three users on an XT, with some happiness. They were subsets, too, but
useful if your problem fit their solution.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (11/25/90)

In article <RPG.90Nov21162630@security.mitre.org> rpg@security.mitre.org (Robert P. Goldsmith) writes:
$According to PC Magazine's recent review, it won't work with SCSI
$disks.  Afetr that I stopped reading.

   That's probably quite correct, given that MWC ads also state that it won't
work with SCSI disks.
--
 __            __  _  | ...!nexus.yorku.edu!xrtll!silver |  always
(__  | | |  | |_  |_) |----------------------------------| searching

acs17111@uop.EDU (M H Misnan) (11/27/90)

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) writes:

>In article <RPG.90Nov21162630@security.mitre.org> rpg@security.mitre.org (Robert P. Goldsmith) writes:
>$According to PC Magazine's recent review, it won't work with SCSI
>$disks.  Afetr that I stopped reading.

>   That's probably quite correct, given that MWC ads also state that it won't
>work with SCSI disks.

    Sorry for my second posting. Just to clarify this, MWC has released
    a new version of Coherent (3.1.0) which support Adaptec SCSI
    adapter. May be you should call them first before make any
    statements. And PC MAG never reviewed Coherent.

--

Mohd H. Misnan              */*  UUCP: mhm!hamid@uop.uop.edu
University of The Pacific, */*   Inet:  acs17111@uop.uop.edu

kc@rna.UUCP (Kaare Christian) (12/06/90)

In article <659636390.15793@zeus.uop.edu>, acs17111@uop.EDU (M H Misnan) writes:
>     Sorry for my second posting. Just to clarify this, MWC has released
>     a new version of Coherent (3.1.0) which support Adaptec SCSI
>     adapter. May be you should call them first before make any
>     statements. And PC MAG never reviewed Coherent.

It would be easy to check that there was in fact a recent review (first look)
in PC mag, Issue 19, Nov 14, 1990. Also, never is a long time. I believe
the first time coherent was in the mag was about 1984 when there were
reviews of xenix, qnx, coherent, and other "unix" systems. Yes, we're talking
versions for the then current XT with 10mb disks on board.

Kaare Christian