[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] VGA to VideoTape - Can it be done?

gt3791a@prism.gatech.EDU (JOHNSON) (12/06/90)

What is the best way to get high quality VGA graphics onto video tape?
I'm interested in creating presentation quality videotapes that utilitize
real-world filming, as well as spliced-in computer graphics.  Is this
possible with an IBM-PC/XT/AT, and if so, what equipment would I need?
Finally, how much would it cost (generally)?

						M. Johnson

uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt3791a
Internet: gt3791a@prism.gatech.edu

In article <18222@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt3791a@prism.gatech.EDU (JOHNSON) writes:

   What is the best way to get high quality VGA graphics onto video tape?
   I'm interested in creating presentation quality videotapes that utilitize
   real-world filming, as well as spliced-in computer graphics.  Is this
   possible with an IBM-PC/XT/AT, and if so, what equipment would I need?
   Finally, how much would it cost (generally)?

First off, let me admit my bias: I have consulted for USVideo, and I wrote
the TSR software for their board.

That said, I suggest that you get a USVideo Recordable VGA card, with
overlay daughter board.  That gets you a video-in, video-out system.
You can do genlock, video-only, computer-only, and overlay.  It sounds
like you're most interested in the overlay feature.  Basically, you
select one of your colors to be the overlaid color, and wherever it
appears on the screen (text OR graphics mode), you get your video-in
signal instead of your computer display.

The only thing you *can't* do with it is mix the two signals.  You
can't do, for example, a transparent cursor.

I haven't found any problems with compatability, and when you run it in
VGA-output mode (instead of NTSC-output), it seems to be no different than
any other supervga board.

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  FAX 315-268-7600
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

billf@progress.COM (Bill Ferro) (12/07/90)

gt3791a@prism.gatech.EDU (JOHNSON) writes:

>What is the best way to get high quality VGA graphics onto video tape?
>I'm interested in creating presentation quality videotapes that utilitize
>real-world filming, as well as spliced-in computer graphics.  Is this
>possible with an IBM-PC/XT/AT, and if so, what equipment would I need?
>Finally, how much would it cost (generally)?

A better place to ask this question might be in COMP.IVIDEODISC.

--
Bill Ferro			UUCP: mit-eddie!progress!billf
Progress Software Corp.		Internet: billf@progress.com