[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] 120 columns displayed on VGA??

bchs1b@jetson.uh.edu (11/30/90)

How does one get a 100 or 120 column display with a VGA monitor (standard
plain VGA card and monitor) using various application programs? Do I need
to get an alternate font set somewhere, or is there some trick to doing
it.

mike benedik
university of houston
benedik@uh.edu

leonard@qiclab.uucp (Leonard Erickson) (12/02/90)

bchs1b@jetson.uh.edu writes:

>How does one get a 100 or 120 column display with a VGA monitor (standard
>plain VGA card and monitor) using various application programs? Do I need
>to get an alternate font set somewhere, or is there some trick to doing
>it.

Well, since a *standard* VGA text screen is only 720 pixels across, and you
want at least 1 pixel of "space" between characters, that leaves 5 pixels
for the width of the character. *maybe* you could do it with special fonts,
but it would be *ugly*.

My advice is to buy a VGA card that supports a 132 column text mode!
--
Leonard Erickson			leonard@qiclab.uucp
personal:	CIS: [70465,203]	70465.203@compuserve.com

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (12/04/90)

In trying to get screen approximately 120 characters wide, if one used
proportional screen fonts, not all the letters would have to be 5
pixels wide.
--
Michael Volow, Psychiatry, Durham VA Med Center, Durham NC 27712
919 286 0411 Ext 6933               mvolo@ecsvax.edu

leonard@qiclab.uucp (Leonard Erickson) (12/07/90)

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) writes:

>In trying to get screen approximately 120 characters wide, if one used
>proportional screen fonts, not all the letters would have to be 5
>pixels wide.

Yes, but since an *awful* lot of wide material is in the form of columnar
data, this solution is less than useful. And it's not the sort of thing
that can be handled without a *big* driver.