[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] DOS under 386/IX

f36608s@puukko.hut.fi (Erik Bunn) (12/03/90)

Pardon me if this has been asked before - in that case, would the previous
questioner send me the replys?

I have a computer running the 386/IX system. Now it turns out we want
to run a dos session that controls a keycard lock system. Is it possible
to run dos under 386/IX (i.e. control the lock server card, run the
control programs, save the records on the hard disk, enable access from
the console to add/delete keyholders or print files)? If so, how do I go
about installing this?

Thanks;

EBu

Erik Bunn				I
f36608s@puukko.hut.fi  (Internet)	I	"You see, I missed her

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (12/09/90)

In article <1990Dec3.144107.12281@santra.uucp> f36608s@puukko.hut.fi (Erik Bunn) writes:
> I have a computer running the 386/IX system. Now it turns out we want
> to run a dos session that controls a keycard lock system. Is it possible
> to run dos under 386/IX (i.e. control the lock server card, run the
> control programs, save the records on the hard disk, enable access from
> the console to add/delete keyholders or print files)? If so, how do I go
> about installing this?

Call your Interactive dealer and inquire about a product called "VP/ix".
VP/ix gives you a DOS 2.x environment using a technique called a "Virtual
Machine".  Multiple users can each start multiple copies of VP/ix.  You
can access the console keyboard and video display, and you can used any
devices attached to the computer (modem, hard disk, printers, floppies),
and each user can have his/her own virtual C: disk that is stored as a
UNIX file in their UNIX home directories.

VP/ix works very well with any 8088 & 8086 software, but it will not run
any DOS software that expects to be able to enter protected mode.  Also,
any adapter card that expects to use DMA will not work, and some device
drivers (files with names like xxx.sys) will not work.  Getting VP/ix to
work with your lock server card and device driver will probably be the
most difficult part.

I have used the version of VP/ix that runs under 386/ix 2.0.2.  I hear
that the version shipped (or being developed for) 386/ix 2.2 is much
improved.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                 ...uunet!rosevax!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john