[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] VGA colors, etc.

bill@pro-gateway.cts.com (Bill Long, SysOp) (12/05/90)

I'm an Apple II user and don't keep up with the IBM world to much, and I have
a question for you IBM people.

With VGA, how many colors are available, and how many can be on-screen at one
time?

+----------"Maturity is overrated" - Garfield-------->Pro-Gateway 214/644-5113

rusbasra@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Bob Rusbasan) (12/06/90)

In article <6109@crash.cts.com> bill@pro-gateway.cts.com (Bill Long, SysOp) writes:
>With VGA, how many colors are available,

262,144 (2^18).

>and how many can be on-screen at one time?

256 in the standard medium resolution mode (320x200).  There are several
nonstandard higher-resolution 256-color modes.

16 colors with resolution up to 640x480 (higher for super VGA).

  / Bob Rusbasan          |  "So many pitchforks, so little hay."  \
 /  bob@en.ecn.purdue.edu |       - Old MacDonald in hell           \
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

ron@woan (Ronald S. Woan) (12/06/90)

In article <6109@crash.cts.com>, bill@pro-gateway.cts.com (Bill Long,
SysOp) writes:
bill> With VGA, how many colors are available, and how many can be
bill> on-screen at one time?

Using standard VGA:
	640x480 with 16 simultaneous
	320x200 with 256 simultaneous

Of couse most cards are super VGA and support:
	640x400 with 256 simultaneous
	512K cards:
	640x480 with 256 simultaneous
	800x600 with 256 simultaneous (except for Western Digital,
					aka Paradise)
	1024x768 with 16 simultaneous
	1 MB cards:
	1024 x 768 with 256 simultaneous

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) (12/07/90)

In <6109@crash.cts.com> bill@pro-gateway.cts.com (Bill Long, SysOp) writes:

>I'm an Apple II user and don't keep up with the IBM world to much, and I have
>a question for you IBM people.

>With VGA, how many colors are available, and how many can be on-screen at one
>time?

Depends on the VGA card and the monitor.  If you spend enough, you can
theoretically generate *any* color, since the intensity of the three
colors in a given pixel is infinitely variable.  On such a setup, you
can have 256 colors on screen at once.

If your needs (or budget!) are more modest, one can get a card/monitor
combo that only does 16 colors at once (256 possible) for $300-$400.
In some cases, such low-cost setups can can get more colors, or "super"
(> 640 x 480) resolution, but not both.  The limiting factor is
usually the monitor, not the card.  Read the hardware documentation
carefully before experimenting, since you can damage a monitor by
trying to get more color or resolution out of it than it was designed
to give.  Such damage can happen immediately if you're using a TTL
monitor.  Analog monitors (the only kind you should use with VGA
anyway, and the only kind some VGA cards support) are harder to
damage, so careful experimentation is quite safe, but don't leave a
monitor in a "bad" mode for more than a minute or two.  In particular,
don't try to run an interlaced monitor in non-interlaced mode.
(If you have the "flicker" problem which interlaced monitors are
notorious for, try stepping down the resolution.)

I myself only recently got into VGA myself.  Before I used a Hercules
card, because CGA text mode was unacceptable, and EGA and VGA were too
expensive.  This was a real pain, because so much software assumes you
have at least CGA software compatibility, and often locks up the
machine if you don't.  Also, cheap Hercules clones often destroy their
monitors, and even the good ones will do it if you're careless with
the software.  Now that VGA has come down in price, I think any TTL
video card, even the ones that do both CGA and Hercules, is a bad
buy.

--

	ergo@netcom.uucp			Isaac Rabinovitch
	netcom!ergo@apple.com			Silicon Valley, CA

		THIS STATEMENT IS VERIFIABLY, IRREFUTABLY TRUE!

tris@alzabo.uucp (Tris Orendorff) (12/07/90)

bill@pro-gateway.cts.com (Bill Long, SysOp) writes:

>I'm an Apple II user and don't keep up with the IBM world to much, and I have
>a question for you IBM people.

>With VGA, how many colors are available, and how many can be on-screen at one
>time?

Normal VGA resolutions are: (width x height x number of colors)
VGA: 640 x 480 x 2
VGA: 640 x 480 x 16
VGA: 320 x 200 x 256

VGA is also capable of emulating the older video standards:
CGA: 640 x 200 x 2
CGA: 320 x 200 x 4

EGA: 640 x 350 x 2
EGA: 640 x 350 x 4
EGA: 640 x 350 x 16

Also, most VGA cards can do higher res screens:
EVGA: 800 x 600 x 16
EVGA: 640 x 400 x 256
EVGA: 640 x 480 x 256
EVGA: 800 x 600 x 256
EVGA: 1024 x 768 x 16

The 256 color screens choose from a 256000 color palette.

--
				Sincerely Yours
				Tris Orendorff

 LADY BRACKNELL:  He seems to have had great confidence in the opinion
                 of his physicians.

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (12/10/90)

In article <6109@crash.cts.com> bill@pro-gateway.cts.com (Bill Long, SysOp) writes:
$With VGA, how many colors are available, and how many can be on-screen at one
$time?

   VGA uses 6 bits for each of red, green and blue, so you have a palette of
2^(6*3)=256K colours to choose from.  Depending on the display mode you're
using, you may have up to 256 colours on the screen at a time.  Note, however,
that since there are only 64 values for each of the three primaries, and
that gray is produced by an equal value in each primary, you can only get
64-level grayscale.
--
 __            __  _  | ...!nexus.yorku.edu!xrtll!silver |  always