[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Coverting Images between Amiga & PC's? possible?

R_Michael_Medwid@cup.portal.com (11/29/90)

yes it is possible.  I was recently given a demo of a projection video system
which I am now using to project VGA output from a Compaq SLT.  When the
folks demo'd their stuff they brought a bunch of VGA compatible pictures.
I was surprised when I saw them..they were all ports of classic Amiga
pictures by Jim Sachs..e.g. his Red porsche, the Ninja motor cycle..
anyhow they were all displayed in a slide show.  I asked them how they
got the pictures but they had no idea.  Keep on the trail..I am certain
there's a utility out there to do this.  Check the "Fred Fish" collection
of public domain utilities.  From the early days ('86?) there was a converter
for going from mac format to amy and vice-versa.  I bet there's one to
go to pc format by this time.  Good luck@

milano@dtrc.dt.navy.mil (Milano) (11/29/90)

In article <36326@cup.portal.com> R_Michael_Medwid@cup.portal.com writes:
>yes it is possible.  I was recently given a demo of a projection video system
>which I am now using to project VGA output from a Compaq SLT.  When the
>folks demo'd their stuff they brought a bunch of VGA compatible pictures.
>I was surprised when I saw them..they were all ports of classic Amiga
>pictures by Jim Sachs..e.g. his Red porsche, the Ninja motor cycle..
>anyhow they were all displayed in a slide show.  I asked them how they
>got the pictures but they had no idea.  Keep on the trail..I am certain
>there's a utility out there to do this.  Check the "Fred Fish" collection
>of public domain utilities.  From the early days ('86?) there was a converter
>for going from mac format to amy and vice-versa.  I bet there's one to
>go to pc format by this time.  Good luck@

You can get a utility for just such a purpose by anonymous ftp from
simtel20.army.mil. It is called gif2iff and consists of a number of
utilities that accomplish the conversion in either direction. It also
handles iff ham type files. There is also a commercial product called
Hijaak (I forget the manufacturer but can locate it if you want) that
handles file conversion between many different types of raster and vector
graphics file types, including iff. It does not handle ham mode though.
I use both and find the public domain version, gif2iff, to be much more
useful. BTW - gif2iff runs on the amiga, while Hijaak is pc compatible.
Give a yell if you have trouble locating these products, or need more
info. - joel

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury, SysAdmin) (12/01/90)

Autodesk Animator will directly read Amiga files (and a bunch of others).
Also, you can just convert them to GIF's on the Amiga and then read them on
the IBM with a slew of GIF -> whatever converter programs.

-- Bob
______ Pro-Graphics BBS  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!" ________

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!bobl         |         Pro-Graphics: 908/469-0049
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil      |       America Online: Graphics3d
Internet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com       |           CompuServe: RIP
_________                                                          ___________
          Raven Enterprises  25 Raven Avenue  Piscataway, NJ 08854

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Nov27.041636.2181@torag.uucp> frankl@torag.uucp (Frank Lemire) writes:

>  I need to know if its possible to get a image captured (from a video
>source) with DigiView over to a PC box?

[A rediculous method deleted]

>  I know this probably will sound obsurd to the guru's of these
>newsgroups, but I dont know how to get it done.

Art Department Professional will write several PC formats such as PCX and
GIF. These formats are provided in the basic package (ie: you do not have
to purchase these formats separately).  ADPro is particularly well suited
for this (writing PC files) since  it  has an enhanced palette mode which
allows it to pick  colors  based  upon the increased palette size used in
VGA rather than that used on the Amiga.

To get the images into  PC readable form,  a very  direct method (and one
which we use) is to have  Colsultron's  Cross-Dos running on your machine.
You can then write 720K PC disks directly from Art Department Professional.

If you have a larger budget, one corporate drives ADPro's ARexx capability
remotely from  a network of PC's.  IE: A front end program running on a PC
``authors'' an ARexx program which  is  file transferred  over to  an  un-
attended Amiga running ADPro. ADPro munches the ARexx program and sends the
resulting data files back to the originator.

>|    Canada     * [Ask me for a copy of my bootleg list]| My only friend,  |

What does ``Ask me for a copy of my bootleg list'' mean?

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc. ``We look for things. Things that make us go.''
	UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry