[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Compress Software

jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) (12/11/90)

Folks:

I would like to know what is the lastest version of PKWARE's compression
programs (PKARC, PKZIP)?

Also, I would like to hear any suggestions on what compress programs to use.
What are you using and why?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

     __________           Carnegie Mellon University             ___
    /          \                                            /   /    /_/ / /\/
   _/  /   /   / "Happy Computing ..."                   __/.  /__  / / / / /
  /     /     /     -- Computer Dr.
 /           /                          Internet: Johnny.J.Chin@andrew.cmu.edu
/  -------  /   4730 Centre Ave. #412   BITnet:   jc58@andrew
\__________/    Pittsburgh, PA  15213   UUCP:    ...!uunet!andrew.cmu.edu!jc58

In article <8bN38m200Uh_A4M5lL@andrew.cmu.edu> Johnny.J.Chin@andrew.cmu.edu writes:

| Also, I would like to hear any suggestions on what compress programs to use.
| What are you using and why?

  For user interface and features I like zoo. All the features of zip in
one package instead of two. The new version in development will have
comparable compression to zip. Other than that I use lharc, since the
compression is good and it, like zoo, is free use.

  I'm tracking the non-shareware zip and unzip, and the new think in
beta test on simtel20. A DOS version of unzip will be posted when the
queue runs down.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (12/11/90)

In article <8bN38m200Uh_A4M5lL@andrew.cmu.edu> Johnny.J.Chin@andrew.cmu.edu writes:

>I would like to know what is the lastest version of PKWARE's compression
>programs (PKARC, PKZIP)?
>
>Also, I would like to hear any suggestions on what compress programs to use.
>What are you using and why?

May I suggest first taking a look at the /pc/pd2/tsfaq14.arc FAQ
(Frequently Asked Questions) collection on this subject.  Available
by anonymous ftp from uwasa.fi or an archive near you.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)