[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] wanted: video card for PGA monitor

mario@wjvax.UUCP (Mario Dona) (12/10/90)

I realy got a bargin recently when I purchased an IBM AT with a
Professional Graphics Display (PGA) monitor, all for $250! Unfortunately,
it didn't come with a PGA video card, so now I'm not so sure it was a bargain.
(A PGA monitor has a resolution of 640-by-480 pixels with a horizontal scan
rate of 30.480 kHz and a vertical rate of 60 Hz.) Is there a low cost
solution to getting this monitor to work? I really would like to use as
long as I don't have to pay an arm and a leg to do it; as I understand
it, the original Professional Graphics Card Set, when fully expanded,
used three slots in XT or AT system!

  Mario Dona
  ...!{ !decwrl!qubix, ames!oliveb!tymix, pyramid}!wjvax!mario
  The above opinions are mine alone and not, in any way, those of WJ.

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (12/11/90)

In article <1672@wjvax.UUCP> mario@wjvax.UUCP (Mario Dona) writes:

>I realy got a bargin recently when I purchased an IBM AT with a
>Professional Graphics Display (PGA) monitor, all for $250! Unfortunately,
>it didn't come with a PGA video card, so now I'm not so sure it was a bargain.
>(A PGA monitor has a resolution of 640-by-480 pixels with a horizontal scan
>rate of 30.480 kHz and a vertical rate of 60 Hz.) Is there a low cost
>solution to getting this monitor to work? I really would like to use as
>long as I don't have to pay an arm and a leg to do it; as I understand
>it, the original Professional Graphics Card Set, when fully expanded,
>used three slots in XT or AT system!

  The recent issue of Circuit Cellar Ink has a do-it-yourself project
to interface a PGA monitor to a VGA card.

Jeff Sicherman

sjo@cci632.UUCP (Steve Owens) (12/11/90)

In article <1672@wjvax.UUCP>, mario@wjvax.UUCP (Mario Dona) writes:

> I realy got a bargin recently when I purchased an IBM AT with a
> Professional Graphics Display (PGA) monitor, all for $250! Unfortunately,
> it didn't come with a PGA video card, so now I'm not so sure it was a bargain.
> (A PGA monitor has a resolution of 640-by-480 pixels with a horizontal scan
> rate of 30.480 kHz and a vertical rate of 60 Hz.) Is there a low cost
> solution to getting this monitor to work? I really would like to use as
> long as I don't have to pay an arm and a leg to do it; as I understand
> it, the original Professional Graphics Card Set, when fully expanded,
> used three slots in XT or AT system!

	Hmmm, is this the original IBM unit (PGA card, that is)?  Seems
kinda ridiculous to have it take up three slots.

	Anyways, we used the Everex PGA card at the last place I worked.
These were a single slot unit that ran about $600 a couple of years ago.
I don't know what the prices are now, but we never had a problem with them.
With VGA out, and XGA forthcomming, you might be able to pick up a used one
as cheaply as you did your system.

>   Mario Dona
>   ...!{ !decwrl!qubix, ames!oliveb!tymix, pyramid}!wjvax!mario
>   The above opinions are mine alone and not, in any way, those of WJ.

						SJO