[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Partitions

stephenc@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Stephen Chung) (12/08/90)

In DOS 3.3, must the primary DOS partition comes FIRST?  Can
I have a Non-DOS partition first and then the DOS partition?
Whenever I try to create the DOS partition after the non-DOS
one, DOS 3.3 fdisk tells me "No space for DOS partition".

- Stephen

iverson@xstor.UUCP (Tim Iverson) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec7.182023.30578@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> stephenc@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Stephen Chung) writes:
>In DOS 3.3, must the primary DOS partition comes FIRST?

No.  However, it must be accessible at the time it is first accessed.  This
rather strange sounding restriction means that if you boot off of it, it
must be accessible by the BIOS (usually means within the first 1024
cylinders), and if you don't boot off it, it must be accessible by the
driver.  The default driver uses the BIOS, but some 3rd party drivers (e.g.
SpeedStor) use other means that allow access to the whole drive.

>Can I have a Non-DOS partition first and then the DOS partition?

Yes.

>Whenever I try to create the DOS partition after the non-DOS
>one, DOS 3.3 fdisk tells me "No space for DOS partition".

Fdisk will not do this for you.  You can do it by hand with debug or Norton
Utilities, or you can use a comprehensive 3rd party utility like SpeedStor.

>- Stephen

- Tim Iverson
  uunet!xstor!iverson