[net.ham-radio] new ICOM IC-R7000 25-1300 MHz receiver!

parnass@ihu1h.UUCP (Bob Parnass, AJ9S) (08/04/85)

		 ICOM IC-R7000 VHF/UHF RECEIVER

     ICOM announced their new scanning vhf/uhf	receiver  at
     the  recent  ANARC	 convention  in	Milwaukee.  From the
     spec sheet	given me, this radio will give Yaesu  a	 run
     for its money.

     The new R7000 looks just like its hf cousin, the  R71A,
     with a keyboard and infrared sensor on the	front panel.
     It	covers 25-1000 and 1240-1300 MHz continuously,	with
     conventional tuning or 99 memories.

     There are detectors for FM, AM,  and  SSB.	  Both	fre-
     quency  and  mode	information  may  be stored into the
     memory channels, which are	backed up by a lithium	bat-
     tery.    I	  don't	 know  if  critical  model-dependent
     parameters	are stored in the RAM, as in the R71A, which
     would force the owner to send the receiver	back to	ICOM
     for reprogramming when the	lithium	batter fails.

     As	with the R71A, there is	a fluorescent  display	with
     dimmer  switch,  a	noise blanker, and a dial lock.	 The
     S-meter can also be used as a center tuning meter.

     There are several	switches  to  control  scanning	 and
     searching	modes, but nobody knows	yet how	well or	fast
     it	scans.	There is a priority scan mode, which is	 not
     explained in the literature.

     A rotary switch on	the front panel	selects	tuning steps
     of	 0.1,  1,  5,  10,  12.5, or 25	kHz.  Other controls
     include   an   attenuator	 switch	  and	a   way	  to
     select/deselect memory channels for scanning (hopefully
     like a lockout feature, sorely lacking on	the  Yaesu).
     Narrow/wide filter	selection is also provided.

     Options  include  a  speech  synthesizer  and  wireless
     infrared RC-12 remote control unit.
Bob Parnass,  Bell Telephone Laboratories - ihnp4!ihu1h!parnass - (312)979-5414

john@anasazi.UUCP (John Moore) (08/12/85)

In article <643@ihu1h.UUCP> parnass@ihu1h.UUCP (Bob Parnass, AJ9S) writes:
>		 ICOM IC-R7000 VHF/UHF RECEIVER
>
>     the  recent  ANARC	 convention  in	Milwaukee.  From the
>     spec sheet	given me, this radio will give Yaesu  a	 run
>     for its money.
>
>     The new R7000 looks just like its hf cousin, the  R71A,

I hear that a computer controlled interface for the R71A will be
published in September or October Popular Communications. I hope
that it will also work for the R7000, since the %$#(!!) ICOM
folks left it out and won't even talk about it!
	Also, the specs I saw at HAMCON (Long Beach 8/10) were continuous
coverage from 25-2000 MHZ, with specs guaranteed to 1300 MHz.
	By the way, I saw the Yaesu FRG-9600 running under computer
control at the convention, and it is FAST (20-50 channels/sec)! However,
if someone can kludge the same capability ine of lab equipment.
--
John Moore (NJ7E)
{decvax|ihnp4|hao}!noao!terak!anasazi!john