[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] HELP! Timing in milliseconds on the PC

RED6@psuvm.psu.edu (12/07/90)

I am trying to find a C or assembler routine that can do timing measured
in milliseconds on the PC.  The problem is unfortunately the PC system
clock is updated only 18.2 times a second, intervals of only 55 milliseconds.
I've heard there are routines to do this.  I don't know if the the PS/2 line
(386 machines) are bound by this limitation but my guess is that they are.
If you could help me with this I would appreciate it.
   You could leave a message or the code at RED6 at PSUVM.  Thanks!

jimmy_t@verifone.com (12/12/90)

In article <90341.093022RED6@psuvm.psu.edu>, RED6@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

> I am trying to find a C or assembler routine that can do timing measured
> in milliseconds on the PC.  The problem is unfortunately the PC system
> clock is updated only 18.2 times a second, intervals of only 55 milliseconds.
> I've heard there are routines to do this.  I don't know if the the PS/2 line
> (386 machines) are bound by this limitation but my guess is that they are.
> If you could help me with this I would appreciate it.
>    You could leave a message or the code at RED6 at PSUVM.  Thanks!

From an ad on pg 71 of Vol 5 No. 1 Autumn 1990 issue of the "C Gazette"

PC Timer Tools
--------------

PCHRT is the definitive answer to execution profiling, precision timing and
timer tick interrupt managment in a PC/MS-DOS environment.  Over 50 functions
let you:

* Manage multiple microsecond timers

* Generate precision microsecond delays

* Insert timers in most any interrupt. Profile DOS, BIOS, EMS effortlessly.

* Run the timer tick interrupt at a user specified rate.

* Command line utilites for any .EXE file.  Precisely time program execution and
  profile user specified interrupts.

* Supports TC, TP and MSC.  Full library source code included.

PCHRT is $49.95 ppd USA, elsewhere add $4.00. VISA/MC.  A 30 day "No Questions
Asked" return/refund policy assures your satisfaction.

RYLE Design
PO Box 22
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48804
517-773-0587

I don't know anything about this package except what I read in the ad.

--
|  James H. Thompson                 |   jimmy_t@verifone.com    (Internet) |