[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Seeking source code for DOS RAM-to-disk swapping routine

tomr@ashtate (Tom Rombouts) (12/07/90)

The subject line says most of it.  Have there been any published articles
on routines (any language) to swap DOS RAM out to a hard (or RAM) disk to run
another program and then swap it back to where it left off?

In more english-like terms, programs similar to SWITCH, SWITCH IT, DR.SWAP,
etc?  (I note that Austin Code Works features both Hold Everything for $150
and XSPWAN for $70)

I could be wrong, but I think Dr. Dobb's had something like this about
two years ago.  Any responses out there?

Tom Rombouts  Torrance Techie  tomr@ashate.A-T.com  V:(213)538-7108

cur022%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (12/10/90)

In article <1990Dec6.200406.21655@ashtate>, tomr@ashtate (Tom Rombouts) writes:
> The subject line says most of it.  Have there been any published articles
> on routines (any language) to swap DOS RAM out to a hard (or RAM) disk to run
> another program and then swap it back to where it left off?

I *think* (but I don't have the book here) that there is a section in the
MS-DOS Encyclopedia on this.
Bob Eager                | University of Kent at Canterbury

tomr@ashtate (Tom Rombouts) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec6.200406.21655@ashtate> tomr@ashton.UUCP (Tom Rombouts) writes:
>The subject line says most of it.  Have there been any published articles
>on routines (any language) to swap DOS RAM out to a hard (or RAM) disk to run
>another program and then swap it back to where it left off?

For the benefit of the curious, I have since found an article in the
September 1990 "Microsoft Systems Journal" that has full source (C
and some .ASM) for this.  Thanks to those who responded!

P.S. to kaufman@oddjob.uchicago.edu - I tried to reply several times
without luck.  Thanks, again, though.

Tom Rombouts  Torrance Techie  tomr@ashtate.A-T.com  V:(213)538-7108

dar@nucleus.mi.org (Dario Alcocer) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec6.200406.21655@ashtate>, tomr@ashtate (Tom Rombouts) writes:
> The subject line says most of it.  Have there been any published articles
> on routines (any language) to swap DOS RAM out to a hard (or RAM) disk to run
> another program and then swap it back to where it left off?

In the April 1990 issue of Dr. Dobb's Journal was an implementation in C and
assembler, although it could probably be converted to your favorite
language.  The basic algorithm is very straightfoward, it uses on
undocumented interrupt to walk down the MCB (memory control block) chain.

Hope this help!

Dario Alcocer       | dar@nucleus.mi.org, BIX: dalcocer
Software Engineer   | VOICE: 619 673-2161 x5119
Emerald Systems     | Standard disclaimers apply

tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec6.200406.21655@ashtate>, tomr@ashtate (Tom Rombouts) writes:
> The subject line says most of it.  Have there been any published articles
> on routines (any language) to swap DOS RAM out to a hard (or RAM) disk to run
> another program and then swap it back to where it left off?

You might want to ftp to Simtel or chyde(?) and get SpawnO30.Zip. I don't think
all the source is there, but there are definately libraries and some source.

If you can't find it there, e-mail me and I'll send my copy.

Carl Schelin
tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu