[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] two questions on w3167 and formatting diskettes

OBL8807@TREARN.BITNET (Cem Ozudemirturk) (12/12/90)

I have two questions ,

1)could anyone tell me the differences between 80387 and w3167 math
co-processors? I saw the fortran benchmark results  for two 33mhz 386 machines,
one with 80387-33 and other  w3167-33 and also saw w 3167 makes machine
about  70%  faster when comparing with 80387. But what is the diffences
in software? Can we use both working with  ms-dos and programs like
autocad? And can we  say both compatible with each other?  What are
appoximate prices for them?

2)here, some peoples use 720k 3,5inch diskettes as 1.4 mb diskettes.
They punch them to make hi-density and then format them. As i can see
diskettes works really well.

Your comments will be very helpful.
thanks in advance.

                                             Cem.
                                             Ege university
                                             Comp. sci. dep
                                             izmir/turkey

ndoduc@framentec.fr (Nhuan Doduc) (12/13/90)

In <90345.135657OBL8807@TREARN.BITNET> OBL8807@TREARN.BITNET (Cem Ozudemirturk) writes:
>1)could anyone tell me the differences between 80387 and w3167 math
>co-processors? I saw the fortran benchmark results  for two 33mhz 386 machines,
>in software? Can we use both working with  ms-dos and programs like
>autocad? And can we  say both compatible with each other?  What are
>appoximate prices for them?
	>the 2 coproc. ARE NOT COMPATIBLE, AutoCad for example has a
	>version for each. Price depends on your bargainning. But
	>it might be that you want to consider Cyrix chips that are
	>TOTALLY compatible with i387
>2)here, some peoples use 720k 3,5inch diskettes as 1.4 mb diskettes.
>They punch them to make hi-density and then format them. As i can see
>diskettes works really well.
	>this raises another problem (eg. should we or shouldn't we ...)
	>myself, I do avoid this, unless ...
--nh
Nhuan DODUC,
Framentec-Cognitech, Paris, France, ndoduc@framentec.fr or ndoduc@cognitech.fr,