[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Program to copy a disk in one fell swoop

curci@ds1.scri.fsu.edu (Raymond Curci) (12/10/90)

In article <6152@hsv3.UUCP> jls@hsv3.UUCP (James Seidman) writes:

>I was wondering if anyone knows of a (preferably PD) utility which will
>copy a high density disk without having to swap the source and target
>floppies in and out.  I don't care whether it uses XMS or EMS.  Any
>pointers would be appreciated!

There is a program called TCOPY that will do the trick.  It can use
either your hard disk or extended memory as the buffer.  You can
fetch it using anonymous/ftp from either of the following locations:

wsmr-simtel20.army.mil		pd1:<msdos.dskutl>tcopy.arc

wuarchive.wustl.edu		mirrors/msdos/dskutl/tcopy.arc

Good Luck!

--
Raymond Curci                     INTERNET: curci@mailer.scri.fsu.edu
Systems Engineer                  UUCP:     ...!uunet!mailer.scri.fsu.edu!curci

kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (12/13/90)

In article <6152@hsv3.UUCP> jls@hsv3.UUCP (James Seidman) writes:

>I was wondering if anyone knows of a (preferably PD) utility which will
>copy a high density disk without having to swap the source and target
>floppies in and out.  I don't care whether it uses XMS or EMS.  Any
>pointers would be appreciated!

Two quick and dirty methods come to mind (both free):
BATCH FILE
make a new directory (this ensures that it is empty)
copy A:*.* to new directory
pause (to change disks)
copy new dir:*.* to A:
del new dir *.*
rmdir

If you have enough memory to make a 1.5M ram disk, the above process
will be a lot faster if you use it instead of creating a new directory
on the hard disk.

Ken Abrams                     uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell                  kabra437@athenanet.com
Springfield                    (voice) 217-753-7965