[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Why do large devices need SHARE?; and NOSHARE; and MKS Toolkit

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (12/14/90)

In article <5072@bwdls58.UUCP> mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) writes:

>No choice, that is, other than running a SHARE replacement program
>such as NOSHARE.COM (see below).

IS this Tom Almy's NOSHARE?  Woulda' been nice to properly attribute it if
it is...

Lastly (right!) about share:  I run the MKS Toolkit UNIX-look-alike/work-alike
environment and install "share" in the inittab file.  But I've renamed
"share.exe" as "fixit.exe" because (now get this:) as "share.exe" I get a
message back that sez something like "terminated without stay-resident
command" but by simply renaming it to something else ("fixit.exe" in my case)
it installs just fine and dandy.  Who knows why?

To quote (paraphrase?) a previous posting: "God help us: Microsoft won't!"

kEITHe