[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] coherent and windows3

sid@binky.sybase.com (S. Cowles) (12/11/90)

are coherent (from mark c williams, co) and windows 3 incompatible?
i would like to use win3 as a windowing manager under coherent on a
386.  is anyone familiar enough with the memory management of these
two products to provide help?  thanks,

sid cowles
internet:                uucp:
sid@sybase.com           {pacbell,sun,{uunet,ucbvax}!mtxinu}!sybase!sid
scowles@humpty.llnl.gov  {backbone}!lll-winken!humpty!scowles
scowles@ccc.nersc.gov

jcburt@ipsun.larc.nasa.gov (John Burton) (12/13/90)

In article <12055@sybase.sybase.com> sid@sybase.com (S. Cowles) writes:
>are coherent (from mark c williams, co) and windows 3 incompatible?
>i would like to use win3 as a windowing manager under coherent on a
>386.  is anyone familiar enough with the memory management of these
>two products to provide help?  thanks,
>
>sid cowles
>internet:                uucp:
>sid@sybase.com           {pacbell,sun,{uunet,ucbvax}!mtxinu}!sybase!sid
>scowles@humpty.llnl.gov  {backbone}!lll-winken!humpty!scowles
>scowles@ccc.nersc.gov

I may be mistaken because I haven't actually used either product
(just read many articles/reviews about each) but I would have to
say that Coherent Unix and Windows 3.0 are not compatible since
Coherent does not support DOS applications, and Windows 3.0 is
most definitely a DOS application (it runs on top of DOS providing
window and multitasking capabilities)

just my $0.02 worth...

John Burton
(jcburt@cs.wm.edu)

swarup@mitre.org (Vipin Swarup) (12/14/90)

In article <12055@sybase.sybase.com> sid@sybase.com (S. Cowles) writes:
> are coherent (from mark c williams, co) and windows 3 incompatible?
> i would like to use win3 as a windowing manager under coherent on a
> 386.  is anyone familiar enough with the memory management of these
> two products to provide help?  thanks,

 I had called them two weeks back to ask them this very question.
Their answer was a simple "no" (i.e. they are not compatible).