[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] 268 to 386SX upgrades

leroy@norvax.UUCP (Todd LeRoy) (12/14/90)

I am looking for a product to upgrade IBM PS/2 Model 50Z and 60 computers
to 386SX (or higher) level so that they can run 386 specific software.  If
anyone is aware of such a product, I would appreciate it if they would send
E-mail directly to me at uunet!norvax!leroy.  Thanks.
--
UUCP:  ...uuunet!norvax!leroy
PHONE: (414) 563-8456 ext. 354

gpatel@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Gautam Patel) (12/15/90)

In article <516@norvax.UUCP> leroy@norvax.UUCP (Todd LeRoy) writes:
>I am looking for a product to upgrade IBM PS/2 Model 50Z and 60 computers
>to 386SX (or higher) level so that they can run 386 specific software.  If
>anyone is aware of such a product, I would appreciate it if they would send
>E-mail directly to me at uunet!norvax!leroy.  Thanks.

	SOTA Technologies makes a 386SX chip that plugs into the
	Model 50 and 50Z.  I am told a 20MHz version is due out
	soon.  Because of the compact size of the Model 50, you
	will also need an adapter to fit the chip.  SOTA claims
	the chip will improve the throughput of the Model 50
	300-400%!!! (using the 16MHz version).  You can also
	complement this with a hardcache to improve performance
	even more.  Of course your hard drive should be able to
	match the speed increase.

	Good luck
	Gautam

kirsch@ux.acs.umn.edu (Dave Kirsch) (12/15/90)

In article <516@norvax.UUCP> leroy@norvax.UUCP (Todd LeRoy) writes:
>I am looking for a product to upgrade IBM PS/2 Model 50Z and 60 computers
>to 386SX (or higher) level so that they can run 386 specific software.  If
>anyone is aware of such a product, I would appreciate it if they would send
>E-mail directly to me at uunet!norvax!leroy.  Thanks.

  I thought I'd post this since it will probably be of interest to many owners
of Microchannel PS/2 286 machines. (i.e. Model 50, 50Z, 60, etc.)

  MPM (Memory Products and More) is advertising a 'Micromaster 386' board for
the aforementioned PS/2 machines. Basically, it looks like an AOX bus master
board to upgrade your machine to a 386. The board will allow up to 8 megs
worth of on-board memory, and supposedly will take advantage of any existing
16-bit memory you currently have installed. It has a 387 coprocessor slot.

  I'm only passing along this information; I haven't called these guys myself,
but will do so in a few days. It seems as if your main limitations after
installing this would be the following:
(1) No 32-bit slots for expansion if for some reason you want to put in a
    fancy board in the future.
(2) If you've got a Model 50 with the old 20 meg hard drive, your hard drive
    is gonna be a *serious* bottleneck in your system. (Yes, I'm talking about
    the ones with the 80 ms. access time.) You might just wanna junk your 20
    meg HD and invest in a 100 meg+ HD.

  Unfortunately, I don't have any pricing information. This product has been
advertised to resellers and the like in Computer Reseller News for a while
now; I don't know if it has made it into the 'normal' industry mags yet (i.e.
Infoworld, PCWeek, etc.) If you want to contact MPM, they've listed three 800
numbers in their ad - however, be forewarned that they may be looking to speak
to resellers.

               East Coast  1-800-899-4676
               West Coast  1-800-222-8861
               Mid-West    1-800-966-4676
                 (ask for extension 347 at each of these numbers)

  If this does what it says, it could be a nice little example of what
Microchannel can do. (Yes, I know similar products are out for some normal
PCs, but I haven't seen any totally stable ones yet.) Please try calling the
phone # before deluging me with mail - like I said, I'm only passing along
information from the advertisement.

Dave Kirsch
kirsch@ux.acs.umn.edu
".. so, like, if you were in outer space and you blew your wad, would it go
  on for infinity?"  - Billy, in 'Patti Rocks'