[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Reading the Real Time Clock

benny@vlss.amdahl.com (Benny Schnaider) (12/11/90)

Hi,
I have problems in reading the internal registers of Real Time Clock of the
PC. It seems like I am stack after the read.
Any suggestions (Code)

Thanks,
Benny
Benny Schnaider    benny@vlss.amdahl.com
                   Amdahl Corporation, 1250 EAST Arques Avenue,
                   M/S 246, Sunnyvale CA, 94088-3470
                   (408) 296 - 0596, (408) 737 - 7883

curci@ds1.scri.fsu.edu (Raymond Curci) (12/15/90)

In article <BENNY.90Dec11070825@dimona.vlss.amdahl.com> benny@vlss.amdahl.com (Benny Schnaider) writes:
>Hi,
>I have problems in reading the internal registers of Real Time Clock of the
>PC. It seems like I am stack after the read.
>Any suggestions (Code)
>
>Thanks,
>Benny

The Intel 8254 is a timer chip used for RAM refresh, speaker output, and
MS-DOS time-of-day TICK counting.  Documentation on this chip is
available from INTEL in their MICROPROCESSOR AND PERHPHERIAL HANDBOOK,
VOLUME 1.

The real time clock found on the IBM AT and its successors is actually
a combinatiion real time clock/calendar/non-volitile RAM chip made by
Motorola -- I don't have the part number handy.  The registers are
documented in IBM's manual, IBM AT TECHNICAL REFERENCE HARDWARE MANUAL.

Ray Curci

--
Raymond Curci                     INTERNET: curci@mailer.scri.fsu.edu
Systems Engineer                  UUCP:     ...!uunet!mailer.scri.fsu.edu!curci