[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Family Trees

ALG106@psuvm.psu.edu (12/05/90)

I would like to produce a family tree.  Does anyone know of any program
that will do this for an IBM PC.  Preferably freeware/shareware, but
I would be interested in commercial software also.

                                  Thank You,
                                       Andy

alg106 at psuvm
alg106@psuvm.psu.edu

jls@hsv3.UUCP (James Seidman) (12/06/90)

In article <90338.211047ALG106@psuvm.psu.edu> ALG106@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>I would like to produce a family tree.  Does anyone know of any program
>that will do this for an IBM PC.  Preferably freeware/shareware, but
>I would be interested in commercial software also.

Call your nearest Mormon temple.  Every one I know of which is in a
reasonably urban area has copies of a PC program to generate family
trees.  I think it's free, or almost free.

--
Jim Seidman (Drax), the accidental engineer.
"It doesn't have to work... they'll be paralyzed just from laughing at me."

eoph12@castle.ed.ac.uk (I F Gow) (12/06/90)

I've been using Family History, which is shareware, and have found it quite
useful.   It has quite good facilities for creation of reports in
various formats, as well as the standard tree style.   Each individual
is assigned a number when typed in, and this is then used when
describing relationships etc.   There was a review about a year ago in
the UK magazine PC PLUS about freeware/shareware family tree programs.

Iain

wilson@schaefer.math.wisc.edu (Bob Wilson) (12/07/90)

One "semi-commercial" product you might try is PAF (Personal Ancestral
Filer) which is produced by the Mormon Church, who of course have a
lot of interest in genealogy for theological reasons. It costs $35.00
and is well documented. It can be ordered from
   Salt Lake Distribution Center
   1999 West 1700 South
   Salt Lake City, Utah, 84104
or by telephone and with a charge card: They charge an extra $2.00 for
a phone order. (I don't have the phone number here but Salt Lake City
information gives it out.)

I encountered it in the newsletter of the Morris County (NJ)
Genealogical Society, where it got a good review, and ordered it for
my wife to use. So far she likes it, although she has not begun to use
all of its many facilities. It will definitely print family trees.
Bob Wilson
wilson@math.wisc.edu

bg11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brian E. Gallew) (12/07/90)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.ibm.pc: 5-Dec-90 Re: Family Trees James
> Seidman@hsv3.UUCP (670)

> Call your nearest Mormon temple.  Every one I know of which is in a
> reasonably urban area has copies of a PC program to generate family
> trees.  I think it's free, or almost free.

The name of the program is Personal Ancestral File.  Order forms are
available in all LDS (Morman) stake centers and some chapels.  In
honesty, I have never seen it at the Visitor's Center of any temple
(which is the only place a non-member has access to).  Also, the program
costs $35.00.  I find it to be very useful, with my own/wifes family
consisting of over 1050 individuals on record!

                                  -Brian

You drop the bomb -more-
It goes off... -more-
I am *NOT* as think as you dumb I am!! |  This space for rent (241-6939)
Disclaimer:  Even I don't agree with myself!
Please send me mail so I can send you mail so you can send me mail so ...

dcurtis@crc.ac.uk (Dr. David Curtis) (12/14/90)

In article <90338.211047ALG106@psuvm.psu.edu> ALG106@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>I would like to produce a family tree.  Does anyone know of any program
>that will do this for an IBM PC.  Preferably freeware/shareware, but
>I would be interested in commercial software also.

I have a program called PEDRAW which you might find suitable. It's
mainly for scientific applications and research into genetic
diseases, but it could be used for general family information.

I'm just in the process of submitting it to Simtel, so hopefully it
should be available there soon. If you'd like more info then email me.

Dave Curtis

Academic Department of Psychiatry,    Janet:       dc@UK.AC.UCL.SM.PSYCH
Middlesex Hospital,                   Elsewhere:   dc@PSYCH.SM.UCL.AC.UK
Mortimer Street, London W1N 8AA.      EARN/Bitnet: dc%PSYCH.SM.UCL@UKACRL
Tel 081-380 9475 Fax 081-323 1459     Usenet: ...!mcsun!ukc!mrccrc!D.Curtis

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley ) (12/14/90)

In article <90338.211047ALG106@psuvm.psu.edu> ALG106@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>I would like to produce a family tree.  Does anyone know of any program
>that will do this for an IBM PC.  Preferably freeware/shareware, but
>I would be interested in commercial software also.

wuarchive.wustl.edu has several geneology programs in the
mirrors/msdos/genealogy directory.

--
Kaleb Keithley                      Jet Propulsion Labs
kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

Offensive quote coming soon to a .signature file near you.

macress@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Mark A Cress) (12/16/90)

There's a program called Family Tree Maker that, surprisingly, does exactly
what you're looking for.  Costs about $50 in your local software store, but
well worth the price.  It can produce several different types of charts (even
leaving space for photos if you wish), can store huge amounts of information
on each person (including medical history and user-defined events, like
communions or Bar Mitzvahs).