[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Gateway 2000, Diamond SpeedStar, Pheonix Bios que

hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Sanjay Aiyagari) (12/14/90)

In article <4148@cui.unige.ch>,afzal@cui.unige.ch (Afzal Ballim) writes:

> The second problem is more bothersome.  I launch Windows 3.0 from my
> autoexec.bat file.  Sometimes (1 out of 8 or 10 times) when Windows comes up
> the monitor goes crazy (it can't seem to sync.).  [Note:  this is with the
> standard Gateway monitor.] By default, I star in 800x600x256 mode, although
> I have seen the same in 1024x768x256 mode.  When the machine arrived I did
> have a problem with the SpeedStar, in that there was no red.  On taking the
> board out, I saw that one of the chips was not seated properly in the
> socket, so I put it in and that cleared up that problem.  I don't know if
> this is a problem specific to Windows (I have not seen it exhibited by any
> other software I have) or if it is a hardware problem.  Any ideas anyone?

Have you tried turning on the monitor for a few seconds before you turn on the
system? Perhaps the monitor has to "warm up" in order to synchronize with the
card.
Sanjay Aiyagari (hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu)

rmf@bpdsun1.uucp (Rob Finley) (12/17/90)

In article <1990Dec13.223116.1615@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Sanjay Aiyagari) writes:

  (stuff deleted)

>Have you tried turning on the monitor for a few seconds before you turn on the
>system? Perhaps the monitor has to "warm up" in order to synchronize with the
>card.
>Sanjay Aiyagari (hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu)

Here is another thought:  Video-7 (Headland) developed a method of detecting
if you are using the analog (Ps-2 style) connector instead of the older
digital connector by using a pair of LM339 comparators and look for a
monitor "load" or presence on the analog connector.  This would also tell
the board to enable the color D/A chip and tells it that the monitor can
(probably) handle VGA sync specs.

I imagine that ATI uses it also on the OEM board in my Gateway2000 at work.

I have to have the MultiSync 3D monitor powered up when turning on the machine
before turning on the computer.
As a rule, the monitor shouldn't need to be warmed up (how is the computer
gonna know B-).  I don't have an outlet strip.

-----
 "Lets go kick some Earthling butt!" -- Spaced Invaders

                                    quintro!bpdsun1!rmf@lll-winken.llnl.gov
                                    uunet!tiamat!quintro!bpdsun1!rmf