[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] EEsof Installation Problem

smlg1015@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (12/18/90)

	I'm having trouble installing EEsof's Touchstone CAD program
on my 386 based PC.  Will anyone who has successfully done this, tell
me what memory manager you're using and exactly what is in your config.sys
and autoexec.bat files?  The folks at EEsof have 386Max as their
memory manager;  I have QEMM and it is failing miserably.

Stuart Lichtenthal
.

gbastin@x102c.harris-atd.com (Gary Bastin 60293) (12/18/90)

In article <46500177@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> smlg1015@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>	I'm having trouble installing EEsof's Touchstone CAD program
>on my 386 based PC.  Will anyone who has successfully done this, tell
>me what memory manager you're using and exactly what is in your config.sys
>and autoexec.bat files?  The folks at EEsof have 386Max as their
>memory manager;  I have QEMM and it is failing miserably.

I have had the experience of installing two versions of Touchstone
on PCs.  The first was about 3 years ago and involved trying to
get Touchstone RF (not Touchstone Sr.) up and running on two PS2
Model 50s.  After much experimenting, I found that any addition to
the default files and buffers would cause a problem.  Likewise,
the mouse driver was the only TSR that could be loaded in memory.
Initially, I tried to run with DOS 4.01, however, there was just
not enough RAM left to run Touchstone.  Touchstone RF needs about
587K-590K of RAM available to be able to load and run all the
features.  It also needs DOS >=3.3.  So the only version of DOS
that has all the features, but which is not too bloated, that will
run Touchstone RF is Version 3.3.  Since we also had wordperfect
on the same two machines, and it requires more files and buffers,
I had to rig up a .bat file that would copy a new autoexec.bat,
and re-boot the machine.  Then, after using wordperfect, another
.bat file that would restore the old autoexec.bat, and re-boot the
machine again.  Yes, it was a kludge, but it did work!

The latest experience was in getting the OS/2 version of Touchstone
Sr.  running on a Zenith Z386-20.  After much fiddling, and adjusting,
I was able to speed up this snail a bit.  It originally was only
5X SLOWER than the DOS version of Touchstone Sr.  After much soul
searching and adjusting the defaults (to take out the spooler, and
to take out the frequency updates while analyzing) and adding more
memory (initially EESOF recommended >=4MB, now they claim at least
10 MB is needed) to bring up the memory to 7 MB, I was able to
speed it up to only about 2.2X SLOWER than the DOS version.  My
recommendation is to avoid the OS/2 version, unless you are really
on a tight budget, and go with the workstation version to achieve
any kind of speed.  BTW, the platforms for both the DOS and OS/2
versions was the same!  Only the operating system and the version
of Touchstone differed.  As for the reason to go with the newer
version of Touchstone, it was an attempt to be able to analyze the
effects of cover height on microstrip.  The old version claims that
the impedance of a microstrip line doesn't vary as the cover height
is reduced to 1/2 the substrate thickness above the line!  (This
is a well know bug in the old version of Touchstone).

For the other versions that we are running under DOS on 386s, we
have not had any luck trying to run with QEMM.  So we had to take
QEMM out, and revert to straight DOS.  Never tried 386MAX, so cannot
comment on that memory manager.  As bad as it may sound, we have
also had to constantly reboot to take out the Banyan drivers, so
that there is enough memory to enable Touchstone to load.  Touchstone
is not really compatible with the defaults needed for any thing
else to be installed on the same machine, especially not at the
same time.  It is also not compatible with having network drivers
loaded.  It is at its best in a non-networked environment, with a
machine dedicated to just running it.

Touchstone is a very memory intensive program.  The old version of
Touchstone RF (1.4) also had several bugs that would lock up the
machine about 1-2 times a week just as you tried to save a circuit
file.  I believe this was only a problem on the TEMPEST versions
that we bought (no hardware keys needed).

I realize that I have not answered your questions, but hopefully
you now know what some of the problems are with getting Touchstone
up and running.  The best approach we have found is to just dedicate
machines to running Touchstone, rather than trying to rig up special
.bat files to re-configure the machines all the time.  Unfortunately,
dedication of a 386 to running just Touchstone is not practical
for small sites.

Good Luck!

Gary Bastin, WB4YAF      /-/-/      Internet: gbastin@x102c.ess.harris.com
Mail Stop 102-4826         |        phone: (407) 729-3045
Harris Corporation GASD    |
P.O.B. 94000, Melbourne FL 32902    Speaking from, but not for, Harris!

smlg1015@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (12/19/90)

Dear Gary and other folks using Touchstone:

After much experimenting like Gary, I've succeeded in loading Touchstone
on our lab's Northgate using the QEMM memory manager.  So far, I've only
used the tutorial files, so I don't know if the program will lock up as
has been Gary's experience.

Here's a summary of my experience:

1.)QEMM should be loaded AFTER command.com and the mouse.sys

2.)MAPS=8 or larger locks the program.  I have MAPS=0.

3.)I experienced trouble filling high ram, so I used NOVIDEOFILL and
   during the install sequence of QEMM, told it not to use fastest
   ram, not to change rom to ram, and ,in general, not to do anything
   extra.  This is after I tried using the default installation.

4.)The page frame is at E800.

5.)FILES=15  BUFFERS=3 in config.sys.    I forgot all about WordPerfect's
  requirements here,: