[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] vga fonts???????

hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) (12/11/90)

is there any program for VGA that changes fonts in DOS?
better yet, is there any program that you can design your own fonts and load
to DOS?
I'm  really bored of the generic font that comes with DOS.

mir@opera.chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski) (12/15/90)

In article <IbNAYoK00VAC854lY_@andrew.cmu.edu>, hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) writes:
%% is there any program for VGA that changes fonts in DOS?
%% better yet, is there any program that you can design your own fonts and load
%% to DOS?
%% I'm  really bored of the generic font that comes with DOS.

Compaq DOS comes with 2 alternative fonts. But the driver takes about 25Kb.
--
Adam Mirowski,  mir@chorus.fr (FRANCE),  tel. +33 (1) 30-64-82-00 or 74
Chorus systemes, 6, av.Gustave Eiffel, 78182 Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines CEDEX

davel@booboo.SanDiego.NCR.COM (David Lord) (12/15/90)

In article <IbNAYoK00VAC854lY_@andrew.cmu.edu> hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) writes:
>is there any program for VGA that changes fonts in DOS?

Yes, but...

I have used a program called vfont to do this, I got it from my local
Shareware dealer so I don't know what archives or BBS's might have it.
It puts the new font wherever it is fonts go and then hangs around as
a TSR to put it back if any program happens to reset the font. Comes with
four fonts (actually two fonts each with two different line thicknesses).
Works OK on my 386SX except that it interferes with some programs, TSRs,
and device drivers. The one that immediately comes to mind is PRODIGY but
then lots of things interfere with PRODIGY. I may also have had problems
using it with Windows 3.0 although it works OK with Desqview. It doesn't
work at all on the 486 I use at work.

macress@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Mark A Cress) (12/16/90)

There is a program, avaialable on most FTP sites, called fe.zip.  It's
a VGA font editor that comes with a seperate utility to load font files
in DOS.  Most programs that fool with the display, though--including MS
Windows and PC Tools--will reset the font on exit.

hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) (12/18/90)

many people have sent me info on vga fonts and some even sent me the program.
I thank them for their help. But I'm still not satisfied with this vga font
stuff because those fonts work only in 25x80 mode? I have long abdandoned this
mode and I currently using 40x80 (from Norton 4.5, better than the standard
43x80 and 50x80). Anyone have additional suggestions on this?

cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (Crash Gordon) (12/19/90)

>I have used a program called vfont to do this, I got it from my local
>Works OK on my 386SX except that it interferes with some programs, TSRs,
>and device drivers. The one that immediately comes to mind is PRODIGY but
>then lots of things interfere with PRODIGY. I may also have had problems
>using it with Windows 3.0 although it works OK with Desqview.

I use VFONT here (386DX), and have not uncovered any compatibility problems.
Windows 3.0 works fine.  So does WordPerfect 5.1.  Some programs don't _use_
the loaded font, but it's reloaded when you exit the program.

The font is loaded for the current screen mode; if you load the font at
80X25 and then switch to 80X50, you'll have the plain font.  But you'll get
the fancy one back as soon as you switch back to 80X25.  (This happens
because the VGA actually looks in a different place for the 80X50 font.)

The fonts are stored in RAM on the VGA.  Resetting the VGA (or just changing
screen modes) will clear this RAM and thus the font.  Hence the TSR feature
of VFONT.

According to the docs I got with VFONT, the program is a derivative of PC
Mag's FONTEDIT.  FONTEDIT allows you to produce your own screen fonts,
however it makes no provision for reloading them after a mode change.

VFONT is for VGAs only.  (It does work on an EGA, but you lose a few lines
on the bottom of the screen.  And since this is where your cursor usually
is, it's quite inconvenient...)  FONTEDIT works with both EGA and VGA
systems.

Gordon S. Hlavenka            cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us
Disclaimer:                Yeah, I said it.  So what?