[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] apple ][ emulator question

er1m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ethan J. Rasiel) (11/30/90)

Has anyone used the apple ][ emulator program for MSDOS available in the
Simtel20 emulation directory?  The file is called apl2em.zip.  It is a
very impressive emulation and even supports calls and pokes for the
apple.  My problem is that I cannot figure out how to import apple
program files into the emulator.  All the files on apple disk a are
stored in one large IBM file on the disk and likewise for drive B.  I
need to add files to this file, basically.  Unfortunately the
documentation for this program is minimal.  The author does include the
assembly source code, so this may reveal answers for those who are
familiar with assembly.  Any responses would be appreciated.  Someone
else posted the same question recently, but I could not reach him via
e-mail.  Thanks!

                 Ethan Rasiel @ CMU (Pittsburgh)

woody@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Christopher Widmann) (11/30/90)

In article <obJQgF200UhWI0osUc@andrew.cmu.edu> er1m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ethan J. Rasiel) writes:
>Has anyone used the apple ][ emulator program for MSDOS available in the

  stuff deleted

>apple.  My problem is that I cannot figure out how to import apple
>program files into the emulator.  All the files on apple disk a are
>stored in one large IBM file on the disk and likewise for drive B.  I
>need to add files to this file, basically.  Unfortunately the

  Well, from my old Apple ][ hardware/software hacking days, I can tell
you that those files that are represented as disks for the emulator, are
actual binary images of Apple ][ floppies. Apple ][ floppy disks are
about 143K and the binary image of the file mathes perfectly with how a
DOS 3.3 disk is set up. Now the only problem is getting the Apple ][
disk to the PC. I am working on this as we speak.

	I will be setting up my old Apple ][ to read the disk sector by
sector into track or several track size blocks, and then transfer the
image to the PC where I will combine them to one Apple ][ disk
alltogether. I can't do the entire disk in one read, since the machine
neither has enough RAM nor disk space to store an entire disk image, but
in sections I can transfer it very easily. I should be getting this
working this weekend (I hope..it should be easy though). If anyone would
like the software I create to do the transfer (or maybe even transfer
your software) let me know. I will post an update as soon as I make any
progress.

PS. Does anyone have an old spare Apple ][ Super Serial Card they would
be willing to donate or sell? I only have a 1200 baud modem for my Apple
to get the files between my 386 and my Apple ][.

						Chris Widmann
						woody@iear.arts.rpi.edu

Chris Widmann ---------------------------------------------------------------
 woody@iear.arts.rpi.edu - Rensselaer PolyTechniTortureTute
"Life is like an ice cream cone, you lick it one day at a time"-Charlie Brown

curci@ds1.scri.fsu.edu (Raymond Curci) (11/30/90)

     It has been a long time since I have used an apple II+  [1983?],
but I seem to remember that there was a KERMIT implementation available
from Columbia University [anonymous/ftp site watsun.cc.columbia.edu]
which should allow you to copy binary files across a serial link to an
IBM PC running a copy of MS-KERMIT.

Hope this will be of some use.

Raymond Curci                     INTERNET: curci@mailer.scri.fsu.edu
Systems Engineer                  UUCP:     ...!uunet!mailer.scri.fsu.edu!curci
Institute of Molecular Biophysics SPAN:     46453::curci -or- SCRI1::curci
Florida State University          BITNET:   curci@fsu.bitnet
--
Raymond Curci                     INTERNET: curci@mailer.scri.fsu.edu
Systems Engineer                  UUCP:     ...!uunet!mailer.scri.fsu.edu!curci
Institute of Molecular Biophysics SPAN:     46453::curci -or- SCRI1::curci
Florida State University          BITNET:   curci@fsu.bitnet

6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) (12/01/90)

 Copy II+ on the Apple II allows you to create
binary images of an entire disk... its not limited
to the new versions, so if you hunt around (ie, post
in misc.forsale.computers...or look at Nibble, a
Apple II mag) I'm sure you can pick it up for _REAL_
cheap.

And remember to post in misc.forsale.computers for
the SSC, you can pick 'em up for about $15 if ya
wait it out.

| Parik Rao, Univ. of California Santa Barbara... 6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu  |
|_America Online:AFA Parik_______________________________________GEnie:P.RAO_|

allred@ut-emx.uucp (Kevin L. Allred) (12/02/90)

In article <obJQgF200UhWI0osUc@andrew.cmu.edu>, er1m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ethan J. Rasiel) writes:
> Has anyone used the apple ][ emulator program for MSDOS available in the
> Simtel20 emulation directory?  The file is called apl2em.zip.  It is a
> very impressive emulation and even supports calls and pokes for the
> apple.  My problem is that I cannot figure out how to import apple
> program files into the emulator.  All the files on apple disk a are
> stored in one large IBM file on the disk and likewise for drive B.  I
> need to add files to this file, basically.  Unfortunately the

A large number of us have been investigating this very issue.  So far
there is not a diffinative answer, but we're getting closer.  Just
yesterday I found a UNIX version of an apple //e emulator that
includes a discription of how to create disk images, but I don't know
if disk images made in this way are compatible with the DOS version.
Does anyone want to find out.  The files are on ocf.berkeley.edu
(128.32.184.254) in pub/apple2/ I think.  Hopefully there will be an
answer soon.

--

	Kevin Allred
	allred@emx.cc.utexas.edu

tleylan@pegasus.com (Tom Leylan) (12/02/90)

In article <obJQgF200UhWI0osUc@andrew.cmu.edu> er1m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ethan J. Rasiel) writes:
>Has anyone used the apple ][ emulator program for MSDOS available in the
>Simtel20 emulation directory?  The file is called apl2em.zip.

Ethan... seems that you are getting lots of attempts to supply useful
information but if one hasn't downloaded the file then they are likely to
misunderstand the question.

I found apl2em.zip on a local government run BBS here in Hawaii and I nearly
jumped out of my seat.  I frequent CompuServe and uploaded it onto the
NANFORUM <Clipper> where I generally hang out.

Anyone who remembers the original Apple ][ fondly can't help but get a rush
when the Applesoft prompt appears and sure enough you CALL -151 and drop down
into the monitor and disassemble 6502 code.  I was up until the wee hours of
the morning PEEKing and POKEing everything I could remember.

I began a hunt for Randy Spurlock by posting a message on that board as
I hoped that improvements would be made similar to the one you are asking
about.  Currently I know of no way to get data into the drive except by
typing it in and doing so reminded me why I don't like interpreters much
RUN, FIX, RUN, FIX, RUN, FIX.  Somebody I know showed the thing to his
brother who was going to make the serial port active which if we would
bother to type a terminal program in we could then use to capture files
over the serial port.  Still not the ideal situation.  I haven't BTW, been
able to find Spurlock and in some ways he may not want to be found.  He
did after all include byte by byte copies of the APPLE II ROMS which is
no doubt why the emulation is so good.

I think the thing is a real kick and it demonstrates just how far we've come
since we can now quite handily run an Apple II inside our PCs and completely
in software no less.

Perhaps the other gentlemen who responded (and knows about the emulator)
will be able to solve the problem... I'll keep an eye open.

tom leylan
The Leylan Factor

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Dec2.075945.6098@pegasus.com> tleylan@pegasus.com (Tom Leylan) writes:

[ Talk about an Apple ][ emulator deleted ... ]

> I think the thing is a real kick and it demonstrates just how far we've come
> since we can now quite handily run an Apple II inside our PCs and completely
> in software no less.

I was discussing this with a co-worker & net-neighbor the other day.  It is
totally cool that one can boot UNIX on a PC, open up multiple VP/ix DOS
windows, then run Windows in each of them.  Or boot AUX on a Mac, start
multi-finder, then open up a DOS window using SoftPC, then start windows--
three different levels of multitasking O/S's.  Now with an Apple ][ emulator
and a CP/M emulator, one might be able to run a 14 year old copy of wordstar!

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                 ...uunet!rosevax!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

tleylan@pegasus.com (Tom Leylan) (12/05/90)

In article <539@newave.UUCP> john@newave.mn.org (John A. Weeks III) writes:
>Now with an Apple ][ emulator and a CP/M emulator, one might be able to or
>run a 14 year old copy of wordstar!

I was mentioning that to someone thru a mail message.  I run a Z-80 emulator
with CP/M emulation and run my original Z-80 version of dBASE II and at that
dot prompt run a dBASE app that I wrote 10 years ago.  I get a sense of thing
having been in hibernation on my disk until such time as the computer can
breathe life back into it.

Best feeling is seeing run again and the second best is saying "dang that
was one heck of a good program for the time".

tom
<currently still without a signature but do to create one any day now>

fordke@infonode.ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) (12/06/90)

> [ text about emulating Apple II on a PC deleted ]

I think I posted this before, but I have a Trackstar that is an Apple //e
co-processor board that plugs into a PC.  This is a true co-processor, it
continues to run while you switch into PC mode.  If interested, send email.
I'm asking $250, which is below the dealers cost, and this is a new board.
--
| ...!uunet!ingr!fordke    OR    fordke@ingr.com
| Micro Magic BBS     (Fidonet: 1:373/12,   MaBell: +1 205 830 2362)
| "and the Trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw." -Rush

billdcat@crash.cts.com (William Mortimer) (12/20/90)

I missed the original post about wanting an Apple IIe emulator, but if anyone
is interested, I have a Quadlink board from Quadram that emulates the apple
IIe.  I'd be willing to part with it for ... oh,... $175.00.

The board allows you to run Apple IIe software from your IBM disk drive, and
lets you switch back and forth between Apple and IBM mode.  I used to use it
to let me play Apple games (in color!) on my IBM.

Please respond via E-mail.

sunyat@pawl.rpi.edu (Eric Hsiao) (12/20/90)

I have the Apple ][ Emulator program for the IBM and was wondering if anyone
knew how I could get the following 2 games to run on it:

A game very long ago put out by Br0derbund called Rescue Raiders.  It was
really good arcade game, but they never ported it for the IBM (it was back
when IBM was thought of as only a business computer).  I don't even think
they market it anymore for the Apple.  If anyone could get this game in the
format for the Apple II emulator, I'd really appreciate it.

Another game is Seafox, also I think by Broderbund.  If you can get it in the
emulator disk format, I'd really appreciate it.
              Eric

--
| Internet: Eric_Hsiao@MTS.RPI.EDU > Read GIF News - a freely copied news  < |
|           sunyat@PAWL.RPI.EDU    > magazine in .GIF file format.  Color  < |