[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] When will the 8088 die?

F0O@psuvm.psu.edu (12/02/90)

    I've been wondering since the 486 chips are out now, when is intel and
others going to stop making the 8088?  The 286 is much better then the 8088
and for all the more a 286 is in price, I would have thought the 8088 would
be dead by now.
    I also hope that when Intel designs the 686 chip, it will be backward
compatible to the 286, not the 8088(the 586 will be backward compatible to
the 8088).  I'm not sure how easy this would be to do, since the 286
instruction set is a superset of the 8088, but I do think the 286 should be
the base for the 686 and up.
    The 8088 has to be put to pasture sometime...

                                                              [Tim]

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (12/02/90)

From article <90335.202651F0O@psuvm.psu.edu>, by F0O@psuvm.psu.edu:

>     I've been wondering since the 486 chips are out now, when is intel and
> others going to stop making the 8088?  The 286 is much better then the 8088
> and for all the more a 286 is in price, I would have thought the 8088 would
> be dead by now.

Isn't the 8088 dead already?  I mean, no one with much knowledge of PC will
buy an 8088 system since the motherboard of 286 is now less than $100 (8088
motherboard is about $35, what is $65 difference considering the performance).
Most all addon's like display and drives are the same for both (except the
hard drive controller) price-wise.

Why?  Do you want to pass a law that says selling a 8088 system to an unaware
buyer is illegal (though practically, it should be)?  I still have 3 8088
systems in my office and working well as terminals and file transfer, etc.
Please don't say its dead other than it should no longer be sold over the
counter...

) (12/03/90)

In article <90335.202651F0O@psuvm.psu.edu>, F0O@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>     I've been wondering since the 486 chips are out now, when is intel and
> others going to stop making the 8088?  The 286 is much better then the 8088
> and for all the more a 286 is in price, I would have thought the 8088 would
> be dead by now.
>     I also hope that when Intel designs the 686 chip, it will be backward
> compatible to the 286, not the 8088(the 586 will be backward compatible to
> the 8088).  I'm not sure how easy this would be to do, since the 286
> instruction set is a superset of the 8088, but I do think the 286 should be
> the base for the 686 and up.
>     The 8088 has to be put to pasture sometime...
>
>                                                               [Tim]
For someone who would want to buy a real cheap computer and does not care for
speed.  An acquaintance bought ten 8088s for networking purposes which would be
all linked to a single 80386.
| Santanu Sircar                               BITNET:   ssircar@umaecs.bitnet |
| University of Massachusetts/Amherst          INTERNET: ssircar@ecs.umass.edu |

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (12/03/90)

ONG ENG TENG (ong@d.cs.okstate.edu) writes:
>>     I've been wondering since the 486 chips are out now, when is intel and
>> others going to stop making the 8088?
>
>Isn't the 8088 dead already?  I mean, no one with much knowledge of PC will
>buy an 8088 system since the motherboard of 286 is now less than $100 (8088
>motherboard is about $35, what is $65 difference considering the performance).

Actually, 8088's are still running strong.  Look at how many Tandy
is still selling in its laptops!

I agree heartily with the original poster.  One reason that technology
in the PC isn't marching forward as quickly as it could is that
everything has to be so backward compatible.  Look at the stupid
5.25 floppy drive!  That should have gone out a long time ago, but
software houses still keep churning out their floppies on these
5.25 floppies because that's what most people have, and the reason
most people have 5.25 drives is that software usually comes on 5.25
inch disks.  Catch-22.

Take the case of the monitor.  We now want our monitors
to be both backward and forward compatible (from monochrome to
1280x1024).  So the poor monitor has to have analog and digital
capabilities with vertical and horizontal frequency ranges running
from one end of the spectrum to the other.  This is one reason
they are so expensive: they have to do everything.

I *love* it when a software company puts out something that
*requires* a 386 and a hard drive.  This tells me that it will
take full advantage of the 386, be less expensive, be faster (fewer
files to work with), and be more compatible.  This is especially
true of games that require EGA or VGA and a hard drive--they're
almost always light years ahead of the other games.

What cracks me up is when someone claims that people don't need
or want greater computing power.  I think Dvorak commented on
*that* in a recent PC Magazine.

S. "Stevie" Smith \  +  /
<smsmith@hpuxa.   \+++++/    " #*&<-[89s]*(k#$@-_=//a2$]'+=.(2_&*%>,,@
 ircc.ohio-state. \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (12/03/90)

In article <1990Dec2.151600.12415@d.cs.okstate.edu> ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) writes:
>From article <90335.202651F0O@psuvm.psu.edu>, by F0O@psuvm.psu.edu:
>>
>>     I've been wondering since the 486 chips are out now, when is intel and
>> others going to stop making the 8088?  The 286 is much better then the 8088
:

>Isn't the 8088 dead already?  I mean, no one with much knowledge of PC will
>buy an 8088 system since the motherboard of 286 is now less than $100 (8088
:

Aren't we missing the point here? It is not the 8088 (or 8086)
processor in itself that counts, but the trivial fact that
practically millions of MsDos applications are based on 8088
instructions set whatever 80x86 processor is under the hood.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) (12/03/90)

In article <90335.202651F0O@psuvm.psu.edu> F0O@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>    I've been wondering since the 486 chips are out now, when is intel and
>others going to stop making the 8088?

When it stops being useful.  Granted, if you want to run MS-DOS programs,
you're better off with a 386SX or better to run the latest pile of DOSoid
applications, but there's a lot more places people use computers than in a
desktop box.

There are still a lot of 8085s and Z80s made and used, probably more than
there are 8088s, because they are entirely adequate as embedded controllers,
device controllers, and the like.  So long as there is equipment that can be
controlled by a 5MHz 8088, Intel will make 8088s to control it.

--
John R. Levine, IECC, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us, {ima|spdcc|world}!iecc!johnl

draper@buster.cps.msu.edu (Patrick J Draper) (12/03/90)

In article <1990Dec2.194533.12250@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:

>Aren't we missing the point here? It is not the 8088 (or 8086)
>processor in itself that counts, but the trivial fact that
>practically millions of MsDos applications are based on 8088
>instructions set whatever 80x86 processor is under the hood.

>Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)
>School of Business Studies, University of Vaasa, SF-65101, Finland
>Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: gado::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

That's exactly correct.

My opinion is that for the most part, people don't care what chip their
word processor runs on. For that reason, the 8088 will be around a *long*
time. I predict at least 5 more years, even though fewer new systems will
be made with that chip. Old equipment doesn't wear out really fast, and it
will be used.

I believe DOS will survive too, although in a very different form
(certainly it will get rewritten by somebody for 386 4 Gb segments) and
it won't be compatible with today's DOS. But this is what will finally
kill the 8088; the next DOS, UNIX, or OS/2 that unleashes the power of the
386 at $100. It doesn't even have to be that good. DOS has plenty of
problems, so does UNIX. That never stopped anyone from using it. Simply
cheap and functional is the ticket.

OS/2 won't do it if it stays at $2000 for the developer's kit. Ditto for
some PC-*nix's.
Patrick Draper              In times like these it is helpful to
buster.cps.msu.edu          remember that there have always been
                            times like these.

plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim) (12/03/90)

/ smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) / writes:

> ... stuff deleted ....
>
> I *love* it when a software company puts out something that
> *requires* a 386 and a hard drive.  This tells me that it will
> take full advantage of the 386, be less expensive, be faster (fewer

Less expensive ? So far, most 386 programs are more expensive than
their 8088 or 80286 counterpart.

Software house simply wants to charge more for something that runs
on a faster machine.  Catch-22  :-) ??

Regards,     . .. ... .- -> -->## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
                                             Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (Marc Roussel) (12/03/90)

In article <90335.202651F0O@psuvm.psu.edu> F0O@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>    I've been wondering since the 486 chips are out now, when is intel and
>others going to stop making the 8088?  The 286 is much better then the 8088
>and for all the more a 286 is in price, I would have thought the 8088 would
>be dead by now.
     Except when there is a radical change in technology, chips are
almost never discontinued, they just find new uses.  Take the 6502 for
instance.  Once it was the CPU of choice for many small computer
designers; now it's a coprocessor on the top of the line Mac's.

>    I also hope that when Intel designs the 686 chip, it will be backward
>compatible to the 286, not the 8088(the 586 will be backward compatible to
>the 8088).  I'm not sure how easy this would be to do, since the 286
>instruction set is a superset of the 8088, but I do think the 286 should be
>the base for the 686 and up.
     This comment really piqued my curiosity... Since the 286
instruction set is a superset of the 8088's, how do you propose that
Intel make a chip whose instruction set is a superset of the former's
without including the instructions of the latter's?  Furthermore, what
possible purpose could it serve to deliberately screw up backward
compatibility in such a way?

				Marc R. Roussel
                                mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca

In article <90335.202651F0O@psuvm.psu.edu> F0O@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

       I've been wondering since the 486 chips are out now, when is intel and
   others going to stop making the 8088?

Intel is a corporation.  By nature, they seek to maximize their profit.  So,
the question you're asking is, "When people stop buying 8088s?"  And the
answer to *that* question is "when they cease to be useful."  So, when
would an 8088 motherboard cease to be useful?  When the price/performance
ratio decreases below that needed for a particular application.  In other
words, it's very hard to answer your question, because there are as
many applications as there are people to think of them.

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  FAX 315-268-7600
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Froot Loop) (12/03/90)

In article <1990Dec3.024326.22956@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca> mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (Marc Roussel) writes:
>In article <90335.202651F0O@psuvm.psu.edu> F0O@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>>    I also hope that when Intel designs the 686 chip, it will be backward
>>compatible to the 286, not the 8088(the 586 will be backward compatible to
>>the 8088).  I'm not sure how easy this would be to do, since the 286
>>instruction set is a superset of the 8088, but I do think the 286 should be
>>the base for the 686 and up.
>     This comment really piqued my curiosity... Since the 286
>instruction set is a superset of the 8088's, how do you propose that
>Intel make a chip whose instruction set is a superset of the former's
>without including the instructions of the latter's?  Furthermore, what
>possible purpose could it serve to deliberately screw up backward
>compatibility in such a way?

     I think it would make much more sense to make the 686 backwards
compatible only as far back as the 386.  The 286 does not allow full
multitasking, etc.

     Which leaves us with the question: Why make it 8088 incompatible?
Well, I can come up with several reasons:

1)	Chip simplicity: Simplicity is proportional to speed.

2)	Modernization: Admittedly, any new chip which doesn't support
	programs written for the 8086 or 80286 will break a LOT of programs.
	But that will smooth out the overall software market for the PC's.
	Programs that are valuable enough that people still want to use them
	will be recompiled using 32-bit compilers, which will make them
	faster.  Since initially the video and disk interfaces will be the
	same, it shouldn't be too much of a change.  Eventually, since all
	programs will need to be 32-bit aware, cards will be able to start
	putting video memory at the 2GB boundary or something, and then you
	don't have to deal with paging.  This will also stomp out the
	*^(*&^(^*^ 1024KB limit, and consequently MS-DOS/IBM-DOS.  So we
	can get on to programs without memory problems (I have 6MB - whadda
	you mean "Insufficient Memory"?) and perhaps a better file system
	(OS/2 2.0?  (If and when)) Basically, you'd force all programs to
	run in 386 protected mode.

	In the long run, I think it would probably reduce hassles, because
	multitasking environments would no longer have to worry about
	programs which expect only 20-bit addresses as opposed to programs
	which expect 32-bit addresses, etc.  The 8086 et al would go the way
	of the Apple II, Commodore 64, and Atari 800.

|   Randy Spangler                   |   Get your mind out of the gutter   |
|   rspangle@jarthur.claremont.edu   |   you're blocking my periscope      |

F0O@psuvm.psu.edu (12/03/90)

In article <1990Dec3.024326.22956@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca>,
mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (Marc Roussel) says:

>     This comment really piqued my curiosity... Since the 286
>instruction set is a superset of the 8088's, how do you propose that
>Intel make a chip whose instruction set is a superset of the former's
>without including the instructions of the latter's?  Furthermore, what
>possible purpose could it serve to deliberately screw up backward
>compatibility in such a way?

     Another question... Is it possible to make a chip that is backward
compatible with the 286, but *will not* work on an 8088.  By using protected
mode, it would be possible, and this is one of the things I'm talking about.
FORGET the 8088 series of computers/compatibles; I think all software/hardware
developers should focus on the 286 and up.  I realize this cuts out alot of
the market, but from a technical standpoint, I think it would be a good thing.
From a marketing standpoint...
     Another reason I'd like to see the 8088 go is one of marketing.  As we
get more computers with different series of chips, how much is the price on
chips/computers being artificialy? kept high?  For instance, if the 8088
compatibles were suddenly taken off the market, would the 286 and other
computers come down in price?

                                                                [Tim]

In article <9917@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Froot Loop) writes:
>      I think it would make much more sense to make the 686 backwards
> compatible only as far back as the 386.  The 286 does not allow full
> multitasking, etc.

Um, what do you mean by this? Back in the early '80s I was using a multiuser
development system that used a single 1802 (4 bit ALU) to serve up to 3
programmers with as little as 12K of RAM.

In what way does the 80286, with hundreds of times the performance, not
support full multitasking?

If you're talking about 64K segments being a bad idea, I agree. But to get
rid of them you'll have to dump the 80286 as well.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

garyt@ios.Convergent.COM (Gary Tse) (12/04/90)

F0O@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
|    I've been wondering since the 486 chips are out now, when is intel and
|others going to stop making the 8088?  The 286 is much better then the 8088
|and for all the more a 286 is in price, I would have thought the 8088 would
|be dead by now.

Look, the 4004 isn't dead yet.  I'd imagine the 8088 will die some
years after the 4004 dies.

Besides, the 8088 should have a decent future as a cheap embedded
controller.  For peanuts you can buy an 8088 motherboard to base
your design upon.

--
Gary Tse,    garyt@ios.Convergent.COM || ..!pyramid!ctnews!ios!garyt
	        tse@soda.Berkeley.EDU || ..!ucbvax!soda!tse

mir@opera.chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Dec2.174041.4313@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu>, smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) writes:
%% ONG ENG TENG (ong@d.cs.okstate.edu) writes:
%% >>     I've been wondering since the 486 chips are out now, when is intel and
%% >> others going to stop making the 8088?
%% >
%% >Isn't the 8088 dead already?  I mean, no one with much knowledge of PC will
%% >buy an 8088 system since the motherboard of 286 is now less than $100 (8088
%% >motherboard is about $35, what is $65 difference considering the performance).
%%
%%
[...]

I don't know if you have noticed, but 5.25 1.2 Mo diskettes are sold
at half the 3.5 1.44 Mo price AND ARE TWICE AS FAST!!!!

8088s and 8086s are used in many embedded systems.

BTW, a bit of modesty and tolerance is always useful in a human
society :-)

--
Adam Mirowski,  mir@chorus.fr (FRANCE),  tel. +33 (1) 30-64-82-00 or 74
Chorus systemes, 6, av.Gustave Eiffel, 78182 Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines CEDEX

draper@buster.cps.msu.edu (Patrick J Draper) (12/04/90)

>     Another question... Is it possible to make a chip that is backward
>compatible with the 286, but *will not* work on an 8088.  By using protected
>mode, it would be possible, and this is one of the things I'm talking about.
>FORGET the 8088 series of computers/compatibles; I think all software/hardware
>developers should focus on the 286 and up.  I realize this cuts out alot of
>the market, but from a technical standpoint, I think it would be a good thing.
>From a marketing standpoint...

No! No!

*386* protected mode should be the one we should be worried about. We
don't need a bunch of computers with 64Kb segments (like we have now).
We need 4 gigabyte segments like in the 386, that way they might as well
be flat model. 80286 can die - viva 80386!

>     Another reason I'd like to see the 8088 go is one of marketing.  As we
>get more computers with different series of chips, how much is the price on
>chips/computers being artificialy? kept high?  For instance, if the 8088
>compatibles were suddenly taken off the market, would the 286 and other
>computers come down in price?
>
>                                                                [Tim]

Probably not because the major cost of a computer is components. If you
put an 80286 in an XT box with an XT hard disk controller, the price
will be the same (roughly). Reduce the cost of the case, power supply,
floppy disk, controllers, video cards, etc. and the price of the whole
computer will drop.

Patrick Draper              In times like these it is helpful to
buster.cps.msu.edu          remember that there have always been
                            times like these.

matth@progress.COM (Matthew J. Harper) (12/04/90)

   One of the things that is being taken for granted in this discussion is the
level of computer user that uses a mchine with the 8088 in it.  There are is a
large base of users who do nothing on the machine besides basic word processing
and spreadsheet work.  For those an 8088 is the ideal box.  It may not have
the pure power most us desire, but they really don't need it.  Believe it or
not, the price difference between an XT and AT type machine is still a big
consideration.  It may only be about $100 in the beginning, but then other
items start to add up.  Think about what happens you add in the options for a
new car: radio, alloy rims...

   I myself am still running on an 8086 based machine.  Sure, I cannot *wait*
to upgrade, but other things keep taking a higher priority.  What 'things'?

   Your basic items like car bills (repairs and regular maintenance), desire
to own a house someday.   You get the picture.

   Even if Intel does not support the 8086/88 series with the 80686 (which is
at least three years off) the XT series will still live on.  All the software
that is currently meeting peoples needs will continue to do so.  Just because
a newer fancier version is available does not mean people are going to drop what
they are using to upgrade.  How many of us still use some out-dated program
or utility because 1) we are used to it, 2) The new one does not do as nice the
job the way we want (like some of Norton's 5.0 release)?

   I'll upgrade when I can.  Until then, when I have something that takes
longer than I would like it to, I'll do something like get a snack, or drool
over the most recent trade magazine with the newest screamer in it.
--
Matthew J. Harper                   UUCP: mit-eddie!progress!matth
Progress Software Corp.		    Internet: matth@progress.com

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (12/04/90)

plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim) writes:
>> smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) / writes:
>>
>> I *love* it when a software company puts out something that
>> *requires* a 386 and a hard drive.  This tells me that it will
>> take full advantage of the 386, be less expensive, be faster (fewer
>>
>Less expensive ? So far, most 386 programs are more expensive than
>their 8088 or 80286 counterpart.

My point was that software becomes *more* expensive when the
programmer is forced to right it for 8088, 286, 386, monochrome,
CGA, EGA, VGA, etc., etc....

But you're probably right about the artificial high price.  It probably
*should* be cheaper, but since it's for a [crowd holds its breath]
*386* [crowd ooohs and aahhs], maybe we're being taken for more than
it's worth?

On the other hand, whenever something new comes out it's always
pretty pricey.  Just wait a few months...

mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (Marc Roussel) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Dec4.014539.13773@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu>
smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) writes:
>My point was that software becomes *more* expensive when the
>programmer is forced to right it for 8088, 286, 386, monochrome,
>CGA, EGA, VGA, etc., etc....

     Most commercial software is written in a high-level language.
Since 8088 compilers already exist, it is then just a question of
running the same program through different compilers to have versions
that will run reasonably efficiently on a given architecture.  Sure you
have to tweek the program on each architecture, sure a "real" 386
version is more than a mere recompile, but it need not involve a
complete rewrite.
     As to your point about the different graphics formats, most
professional programmers have some kind of library of graphics
primitives for each of the popular graphics formats, so it's not even a
question of recompiling, just relinking.
     I think you're making too much of a big deal of this backward
compatibility thing.  You can have backward compatibility of your chips
without compromising the efficiency of the design of the silicon, so why
not?  I can just see it now... "You can have this super-duper new chip
in your machine but you'll have to throw away all your software."

				Marc R. Roussel
                                mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca

Iain Holness <HOLNESSI@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (12/05/90)

       As others have said, as long as there is a need for a chip
  that is presently being manufactured, it will continue to be
  manufactured. Funny that you haven't mentioned the 80186 at
  all. It too is being used for things other than that of being
  a main processor in a computer.

       This thread is another example of not seeing the forest
  for the trees. Why kill the 8086 when it can be used to improve
  efficiency in a device extraneous to the PC environment ? That
  logic keeps such _outdated_ technology on the market, as in
  other fields, the _outdated_ technology's time has only just
  begun.

     Iain

cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (Crash Gordon) (12/05/90)

Tim sez:
>    I've been wondering since the 486 chips are out now, when is intel and
>others going to stop making the 8088?  The 286 is much better...

The 8088 is still alive and kicking in a lot of designs.  Vending machines,
automated monitoring equipment, and numerous behind-the-scenes devices do
very well with 8088s, thank you.

It is true that the 8088-based PC is on the decline, but it will probably
be around for a long time yet.

>Please don't say its dead other than it should no longer be sold...
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And why shouldn't it?  Sometimes you may need something, and price is the
biggest consideration.  A 286 motherboard may be only $65 more, but the
overall machine price will probably be more than $65 higher.  If (for
instance) you need something to access a database and dial phone numbers for
a telemarketing application, an 8088 with an MDA is the cheapest out.

Gordon S. Hlavenka            cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us
Disclaimer:                Yeah, I said it.  So what?

lsh@polari.UUCP (Lee Hauser) (12/05/90)

The 8088 will die when you can get a 386-33 or similarly speeded 486 system for
the price of an 8088 system.  Technology tends to stick around as long as it
is useful and usable (which is why there are still a load of Commodore 64s and
128s out there).  Though I use a 386SX at work (and enjoy it), I've never owned
a PC more powerful than a V-20 and never felt the need to do so.  Spending $2000or more for a machine just to do word processing and telecom, with very minor
spreadsheet and database thrown in, is a waste of my money.  Not everyone's
money, just mine.  I appreciate having the choice of buying a lower-powered
machine at a price that I can afford.  I spent $699 on my Tandy 1100FD; it was
all I had to spend!  A $2000 machine might as well have been a $2,000,000 machine for me!

--
------- ======= ------- ======= ------- ======= ------- ======= ------- =======
                  uw-beaver!sumax!polari!lsh -- lsh@polari

rbr@bonnie.ATT.COM (4197,ATTT) (12/05/90)

The 8088 / 8086 will die when Intel and others no longer have a market.
But who cares, isn't MessyDOS the real culprit that determines this
stupid architecture.  Is it not M*DOS that puts the BIOS and video RAM
at the "top" of memory?  Apple made the same blunder by putting the
video RAM and system at "top" of the original Apple II memory.  Then
RAM got real cheap and everyone had 64K and video in the middle of the
user's memory.

A better question would be, "When can we get rid of M*DOS".  Why not put
the BIOS & system stuff in low RAM and give the user all they can afford
above that level.  Why not a "virtual memory" OS ?

Bob Rager

cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Conway Yee) (12/06/90)

In article <2842@polari.UUCP> lsh@polari.UUCP (Lee Hauser) writes:
>The 8088 will die when you can get a 386-33 or similarly speeded 486 system for
>the price of an 8088 system.

I am not sure I can agree.  If this were to happen, then the 8088 will simply
move onto other uses.  Today, the 8088 is too expensive to put to those
uses. Later, 8088 prices will drop sufficiently that they will become
affordable.

					Conway Yee, N2JWQ
yee@ming.mipg.upenn.edu    (preferred)             231 S. Melville St.
cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (forwarded to above)    Philadelphia, Pa 19139
yee@bnlx26.nsls.bnl.gov    (rarely checked)        (215) 386-1312

In article <1047@ios.Convergent.COM> garyt@ios.Convergent.COM (Gary Tse) writes:
> Look, the 4004 isn't dead yet.

Really? You mean there's a purpose for the MCS-4 manual on my bookshelf?
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) (12/06/90)

cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Conway Yee) writes:

>In article <2842@polari.UUCP> lsh@polari.UUCP (Lee Hauser) writes:
>>The 8088 will die when you can get a 386-33 or similarly speeded 486 system for
>>the price of an 8088 system.

>I am not sure I can agree.  If this were to happen, then the 8088 will simply
>move onto other uses.  Today, the 8088 is too expensive to put to those
>uses. Later, 8088 prices will drop sufficiently that they will become
>affordable.

  Exactly what uses for an 8088 did you have in mind that are impractical
due to the price? I can buy 8-Mhz 8088's for $8 each. Even a Nintendo uses
more sophisticated technology.
  Besides, by the time a 386 system comes down to the current price of an
8088 systen ( around $450), I doubt ANYBODY would have a use for it. Our
refridgerator uses a 186 for control (one of those fancy kind). The reason
that's so cheap, is because the chip was so flawed for any PC system.

     "Round and round the while() loop goes;
           Whether it stops," Turing says, "nobody knows."

scott@skypod.uucp (Scott Campbell) (12/06/90)

In article <9917@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Froot Loop) writes:
>In article <1990Dec3.024326.22956@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca> mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (Marc Roussel) writes:
>>In article <90335.202651F0O@psuvm.psu.edu> F0O@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>>>    I also hope that when Intel designs the 686 chip, it will be backward
>>>compatible to the 286, not the 8088(the 586 will be backward compatible to
>>>the 8088).  I'm not sure how easy this would be to do, since the 286
>>>instruction set is a superset of the 8088, but I do think the 286 should be
>>>the base for the 686 and up.
>
>     I think it would make much more sense to make the 686 backwards
>compatible only as far back as the 386.  The 286 does not allow full
>multitasking, etc.

If the 686 was FULLY compatible with the 386 it would be able to emulate the
8086 (how different is the 8086 from the 8088) in Virtual '86 mode, right?
Any old 8/16 bit programs you have would be able to work in a DOS window in
whatever software you are using...

Anyways, just because the 8088 is too slow for serious processing, its fine
if all you are going to do is run a terminal session and maybe some personal
utilities (notepads, datebooks, etc.)  Hook this up to a multiuser system
where you would do any serious processing.  An old XT  can be cheaper than a
terminal, especially if it is still lying around from before you got faster
machines.

Another thing to think of in killing off the low end intel chips is that
other people are allowed to make them.  Not so with the 386.  Whether you
consider being limited to one supplier as a Good Thing or a Bad Thing could
be a consideration.

scott
Scott J.M. Campbell                                       scott@skypod.uucp
Skypod Communications Inc.                                   (416) 961-3847
57 Charles St. West, #1310              nyama!skypod!scott@epas.utoronto.ca
Toronto, Ontario           {scocan|becker|problem|torag|nyama}!skypod!scott

jimf@idayton.field.intel.com (Jim Fister) (12/06/90)

>> Look, the 4004 isn't dead yet.

>Really? You mean there's a purpose for the MCS-4 manual on my bookshelf?

>Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
>+1 713 274 5180.   'U`
>peter@ferranti.com

Sure.  Can't you see yourself in front of a fireplace in the middle of winter
with your trusty MCS-4 manual?  Hey, a book like that could keep that fire
going for at least an extra hour!

JimF

tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (12/07/90)

In article <853@pdxgate.UUCP>, berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) says:

>cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Conway Yee) writes:
>
>>In article <2842@polari.UUCP> lsh@polari.UUCP (Lee Hauser) writes:
>>>The 8088 will die when you can get a 386-33 or similarly speeded 486 system for
>>>the price of an 8088 system.
>
>>I am not sure I can agree.  If this were to happen, then the 8088 will simply
>>move onto other uses.  Today, the 8088 is too expensive to put to those
>>uses. Later, 8088 prices will drop sufficiently that they will become
>>affordable.
>
>  Exactly what uses for an 8088 did you have in mind that are impractical
>due to the price? I can buy 8-Mhz 8088's for $8 each. Even a Nintendo uses
>more sophisticated technology.
>  Besides, by the time a 386 system comes down to the current price of an
>8088 systen ( around $450), I doubt ANYBODY would have a use for it. Our
>refridgerator uses a 186 for control (one of those fancy kind). The reason
>that's so cheap, is because the chip was so flawed for any PC system.

>     "Round and round the while() loop goes;
>           Whether it stops," Turing says, "nobody knows."

What chip was flawed? The 8088? I don't think you mean the 186, it was the
base chip for all those 3Com 3Servers for quite a while. I think that the 286
came out so quickly on the heels of the 186 is the reason that it wasn't used
much. (IMHO)

Carl Schelin
tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu

wbeebe@bilver.uucp (Bill Beebe) (12/07/90)

In article <853@pdxgate.UUCP> berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) writes:
>cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Conway Yee) writes:

>  Exactly what uses for an 8088 did you have in mind that are impractical
>due to the price? I can buy 8-Mhz 8088's for $8 each. Even a Nintendo uses
>more sophisticated technology.
>  Besides, by the time a 386 system comes down to the current price of an
>8088 systen ( around $450), I doubt ANYBODY would have a use for it. Our
>refridgerator uses a 186 for control (one of those fancy kind). The reason
>that's so cheap, is because the chip was so flawed for any PC system.

I beg to differ on both points. First, the Nintendo uses a straight
8-bit CPU. The graphics chip in particular is a derivative of the
TI 9918, an 8-bit chip that first appeared in the TI 99/4A.

As for the 186, it was never intended to be a PC replacement. It was
designed and has always been used as an embedded system. If there's
a flawed anything, it's the PC system itself. The I/O on the 186 is
simple and powerful, something the PC ain't.

A pure 8088 will pass away in due time, but just like the Z80, it will
continue on in value-added chips that combine many other features such
as serial channels, DMA, timers, and bit-addressable I/O, just to name
a few. The current incarnation of the 186 is the C186EB, a fully static
chip that can have it's clock stopped and thus is power consumption drops
to microamps. Even when running it's extremely power stingy. For systems
that don't require a fully static memory system, DRAMs can be easily
added to the C186EB, because it has on-chip DRAM support.

NEC as a broad array of 8086 derivative chips, as does Siemans.

And if you're paying $8 for 8088's all day long, then you're paying way
to much. I can get 16 MHz 80286's in quantity for $5.

jlb@aipna.ed.ac.uk (John Beaven) (12/07/90)

May I just point out that the Amstrad PCW 8256 family, which is a CP/M
machine with a Z80, 256 or 512 k of ram and 1 or 2 floppies, bundled
with a printer and a rather nice word processing program (for a first
machine), is still selling strong (for about UK #250), at least in
Europe (dunno about the US).

Which makes me think the 8088 has still some life.

John

gary@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Gary Barrett) (12/07/90)

"I believe DOS will survive too, although in a very different form
(certainly it will get rewritten by somebody for 386 4 Gb segments)
and it won't be compatible with today's DOS. "

And so, like OS/2, it won't sell.  The longer DOS lasts in its current
form, the more applications people will purchase for it (the more
money they will have invested in software versus "the box".)

So those same people are going to look at their piles of applications
and consider this new and wonderful DOS and say "so what".

If DOS is to migrate to some new and improved form, it had better
consider its current user base.  Otherwise, it will hit the same wall
as OS/2 and any other operating system competing for the DOS user
base.

Just my opinion, as a "techie" who already has big bucks tied up in
worthwhile applications I don't want to see go away with some "hot
solution to all my needs".

Gary L. Barrett

My employer may or may not agree with my opinions.
And I may or may not agree with my employer's opinions.

dcarr@mentor.gandalf.ca (Dave Carr) (12/07/90)

In article <853@pdxgate.UUCP> berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) writes:
>cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Conway Yee) writes:
>
>refridgerator uses a 186 for control (one of those fancy kind). The reason
>that's so cheap, is because the chip was so flawed for any PC system.

Talk about people unclear on the concept.  The 80186(8) were intended for the EMBEDDED
market.  We use the 80186 extensively in our comm products.

To design in a 680x0 + DMA + Chip Select logic + Timer/Counters + Clock controller + ...
would add about $20+ dollars to each application.  Let see, 800 muxes a month * 20 dollars
= $16,000 profit (minus if 680x0).

The only vendor I know that tried one in a PC was Tandy !  For the job it was designed for,
I stand behind the 80186 any day !

I haven't seen any workstation vendor jumping on the 68302, but again, this is also a
machine intended for IMBEDDED control.

kea@kasoft.UUCP (Ken Anderson) (12/08/90)

Someone mentioned using 8088s in embedded systems earlier in this thread.
Is there a newsgroup that deals with this sort of thing? Or embedded
systems in general?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

ken.
--
Ken Anderson, kea@kasoft.UUCP, 416-274-6244 (fax:416-891-2715)
---

kdq@demott.com (Kevin D. Quitt) (12/08/90)

In article <3622@aipna.ed.ac.uk> jlb@aipna.ed.ac.uk (John Beaven) writes:
>May I just point out that the Amstrad PCW 8256 family, which is a CP/M
>machine with a Z80, 256 or 512 k of ram and 1 or 2 floppies, bundled
>with a printer and a rather nice word processing program (for a first
>machine), is still selling strong (for about UK #250), at least in
>Europe (dunno about the US).
>
>Which makes me think the 8088 has still some life.

    Does the fact that 6502's (about about 25 cents each) are still being
sold by the millions give you a clue about the 8088 dying soon?

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq@demott.com

kevin@latcs1.oz.au (Kevin James Bertram) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec7.145839.2703@mentor.gandalf.ca>, dcarr@mentor.gandalf.ca (Dave Carr) writes:

> The only vendor I know that tried one in a PC was Tandy !  For the job it was designed for,
> I stand behind the 80186 any day !

Yes, just to digress, Earth computers (now terran) produced an 80186 pc
which used a serial console rather than CGA etc. Had it for 5 years and has
been working like a charm. I've found no obvious faults with the 186.

jaapv@accucx.cc.ruu.nl (Jaap Verhage) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec7.145839.2703@mentor.gandalf.ca> dcarr@mentor.gandalf.ca (Dave Carr) writes:
(speaking of the 80186)
>The only vendor I know that tried one in a PC was Tandy !
Philips was another, in Holland at least. They called it the Yes!
PC. The poor thing didn't live long, due to 8088-incompatibility of
the 80186, it was rumoured.
--
Regards, Jaap.

Jaap Verhage, Academic Computer Centre, State University at Utrecht, Holland.
jaapv@cc.ruu.nl      +<-*|*->+      I claim *every*thing and speak for myself

steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) (12/13/90)

In article <1990Dec5.152318.7316@cbnewsl.att.com> rbr@bonnie.ATT.COM (Bob Rager) writes:
>But who cares, isn't MessyDOS the real culprit that determines this
>stupid architecture.  Is it not M*DOS that puts the BIOS and video RAM
>at the "top" of memory?

Umm... no, it is not MS-DOS that arranges the hardware in a computer.  IBM
did it, when they designed the PC, and they had seemingly good reasons at
the time.  When they first made the IBM PC, 16k was standard and 64k was a
lot of memory.  640k seemed enormous.  You can't blame them for this.

You can safely flame IBM for the design of the BIOS, though.  The BIOS
functions were too slow, so everyone wrote straight to the hardware.  Thus
if you want to run MS-DOS programs you need an exact copy of the PC
hardware, or a good emulation thereof.  In some strange, alternate universe
where IBM's BIOS was written better and everyone used it, all you need to
run DOS programs is a faithful emulation of the BIOS and the CPU.
--
Steve "I don't speak for Microsoft" Hastings    ===^=== :::::
uunet!microsoft!steveha  steveha@microsoft.uucp    ` \\==|

seanf@sco.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (12/13/90)

In article <90337.093702F0O@psuvm.psu.edu> F0O@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>     Another question... Is it possible to make a chip that is backward
>compatible with the 286, but *will not* work on an 8088.

Take a look at the 80376 (I think).  It's only a 32-bit machine, with no
protected mode.  No 8086 compatibility.

--
-----------------+
Sean Eric Fagan  | "*Never* knock on Death's door:  ring the bell and

seanf@sco.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (12/13/90)

In article <9917@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Froot Loop) writes:
>     I think it would make much more sense to make the 686 backwards
>compatible only as far back as the 386.  The 286 does not allow full
>multitasking, etc.

Uhm... since when?  You are aware that lots of people are running '286-based
*nices (such as SCO XENIX for the AT).  Multiuser, multitasking.  The whole
shebang.

>2)	Modernization: Admittedly, any new chip which doesn't support
>	programs written for the 8086 or 80286 will break a LOT of programs.

Intel has one major market:  DOS.  '386 based machines are as cheap as they
are because of the demand for DOS.  Most people running a '386 are actually
running DOS.  A major factor for people to get a '386-based *nix instead of
a RISC-based *nix (some of the MIPS machines are cheap, for example) is that
they get to run DOS programs.

If you take away that compatibility, then people will probably not buy it.
Look at how much demand there is for the 80376, or even the i860 (which is
somewhat popular, although I don't know why).

Neither of those can run DOS programs, and neither of those is exactly taking
over the market.

Try thinking before you want to dictate Intel's policy.

--
-----------------+

garyt@ios.Convergent.COM (Gary Tse) (12/13/90)

gary@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Gary Barrett) writes:
|The longer DOS lasts in its current
|form, the more applications people will purchase for it (the more
|money they will have invested in software versus "the box".)
|
|So those same people are going to look at their piles of applications
|and consider this new and wonderful DOS and say "so what".

Gee, does anyone here still remember CP/M or Apple DOS?

--

josephc@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Joseph I. Chiu) (12/13/90)

garyt@ios.Convergent.COM (Gary Tse) writes:

>gary@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Gary Barrett) writes:
>|The longer DOS lasts in its current
>|form, the more applications people will purchase for it (the more
>|money they will have invested in software versus "the box".)
>|
>|So those same people are going to look at their piles of applications
>|and consider this new and wonderful DOS and say "so what".

>Gee, does anyone here still remember CP/M or Apple DOS?

Funny, I played with my Apple II just a few days ago (I don't live with my
folks anymore, and I have an IBM at school), and I'm teaching my sister
wordprocessing with Wordstar on CP/M (Applicard CP/M card - a product that
had a lot more potential than it was used for - a 6 MHz coprocessor that
ran concurrently with the Apple because it had its own 64k memory)

--
josephc@coil.caltech.edu               ...Just another lost soul in the universe

josephc@coil.caltech.edu               ...Just another lost soul in the universe

rbr@bonnie.ATT.COM (4197,ATTT) (12/13/90)

In article <59765@microsoft.UUCP> steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) writes:
>In article <1990Dec5.152318.7316@cbnewsl.att.com> rbr@bonnie.ATT.COM (Bob Rager) writes:
>>But who cares, isn't MessyDOS the real culprit that determines this
>>stupid architecture.  Is it not M*DOS that puts the BIOS and video RAM
>>at the "top" of memory?
>
>Umm... no, it is not MS-DOS that arranges the hardware in a computer.  IBM
>did it, when they designed the PC, and they had seemingly good reasons at
>the time.  When they first made the IBM PC, 16k was standard and 64k was a
>lot of memory.  640k seemed enormous.  You can't blame them for this.

I can remember mainframes when 128K was a BIG machine.

As an X mainframe guru for the now desolved Western Electric and an
IBM watcher of many years, I most heartily agree. I appreciate IBM's position,
when you are the first you have a great chance of making the wrong coice.
Then we all have to live with it forever.

The PC came out when several machines had 128K (Commodore 128, TRS-80 IV),
as I remember the original PC had 128K and a cassette port.  I don't know
who might be at fault but it would have been so easy to put the system stuff
between 0 and nK and provide a pointer to the base of user memory.  That
way we could have a linear memory space all the way up to 3+ GB. Then it
would only be a matter of money.  BTW, I have heard that the IBM chose the
group designing a PC using the 8088 because they thought it would be the
PC most likely to fail in the marketplace as they were afraid that PC's
would eat into their Mainframe sales ($$$$$$).

>You can safely flame IBM for the design of the BIOS, though.  The BIOS
>functions were too slow, so everyone wrote straight to the hardware.  Thus
>if you want to run MS-DOS programs you need an exact copy of the PC
>hardware, or a good emulation thereof.  In some strange, alternate universe
>where IBM's BIOS was written better and everyone used it, all you need to
>run DOS programs is a faithful emulation of the BIOS and the CPU.

If you would dis-assemble the BIOS you would find that you would have
a hard time making it more compact.  The efficiency  problem arises when
you try to write completely generalized routines.  The CYA code becomes
several times the size of the do it code.  The trick might be to execute
BIOS from super fast RAM.

>--
>Steve "I don't speak for Microsoft" Hastings    ===^=== :::::
>uunet!microsoft!steveha  steveha@microsoft.uucp    ` \\==|

Lets not have a flame war over this.

Bob Rager

gary@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Gary Barrett) (12/14/90)

>Gee, does anyone here still remember CP/M or Apple DOS?

Are you really considering CP/M and Apple DOS in the same league as
MSDOS, sales-wise that is?  Consider the number of "PCs" currently in
the worldwide user base.  Consider the number of worthwhile,
business-oriented applications currently running on those micros.
I believe the sheer "popularity" of DOS-based applications (and the
monetary investment in those applications) will keep it going for
some time to come,  unless there are adequate DOS "emulators" on the "new
and improved" OS environments.

Oh, yes, I DO remember CP/M.  I have a CP/M emulator on my 386 PC.  It
lets me run a good number of my old applications.

userDHAL@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (David Halliwell) (12/14/90)

In article <59765@microsoft.UUCP>, steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) writes:
>In article <1990Dec5.152318.7316@cbnewsl.att.com> rbr@bonnie.ATT.COM (Bob Rager) writes:
>>But who cares, isn't MessyDOS the real culprit that determines this
>>stupid architecture.  Is it not M*DOS that puts the BIOS and video RAM
>>at the "top" of memory?
>
>Umm... no, it is not MS-DOS that arranges the hardware in a computer.  IBM
>did it, when they designed the PC, and they had seemingly good reasons at
>the time.  When they first made the IBM PC, 16k was standard and 64k was a
>lot of memory.  640k seemed enormous.  You can't blame them for this.

.   [some odds and ends deleted]

.   Actually, the problem can be put in the hands of Intel, because the
8088 and 8086 (and I assume all of the 80x86 family) all start out after
powerup by executing the instruction at address FFFF:0000, so this makes
it necessary that any computer using the chip have ROM at the upper part
of the address space. This first instruction can be simply a jump to any
other part of the address space, but it is logical (in a way) that you
put all the ROM up there, so that is where IBM put the BIOS.

.    Steve's comment that the inadequacy of DOS contributes to things
is also true: if you could do everything just by calling DOS, then
DOS could move the video buffers, Intel could move the startup location,
etc., and we would never know. But we all write programs to access
video, the DOS and BIOS data areas, etc., so the hardware and software
is tied into this. Unless we all go to a new operating system :-)

Dave Halliwell

davidk@pro-graphics.cts.com (David Klippel) (12/14/90)

The 8088 will not die. Not in the near future at least with its continuing
drop in price.  This processor even though for us seems slow and limited is
still very good for entry level grade school use, communication links and
individuals not wanting to go head over heal into PC's.  As for OS/2 when the
2.0 version, expected sometime in 1991, is released all those great DOS packages
that you invested in will multitask just like an OS/2 package.  So I would say
it's not completely dead and useless.  It is just not the greatest thing going.
But then what is not everbody like *NIX or DOS or Windows or...  It is a
matter of preference.

    ProLine: davidk@pro-graphics
       UUCP: ...crash!pro-graphics!davidk
   ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!davidk@nosc.mil
   Internet: davidk@pro-graphics.cts.com

wbeebe@bilver.uucp (Bill Beebe) (12/15/90)

In article <9185@scolex.sco.COM> seanf@sco.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:

>Take a look at the 80376 (I think).  It's only a 32-bit machine, with no
>protected mode.  No 8086 compatibility.

Nope. The 80376 _RUNS_ in protected mode only. You can put it in flat,
or Mot mode, and avoid segment limits. But it will not run in real 8088
mode and it does not support the paging of the 386/486. It's 32-bit
internally, but externally looks at the world with a 16-bit bus and
a 24-bit address range. It was introduced about a month before the
80386SX in 1988. Intel now has a free utility to help convert 80186
assembly code to 80386 assembly for the 80376, and to support the
80186's built-in peripherals, the conversion software will attempt to
map the 80186's peripheral functionality to a second chip, the 82370,
a super-function chip with 8 channels of DMA, 8259 support, timers,
dram refresh support, etc.

As for 8086 compatibility, keep in mind you can run those 8086 instructions
in protected mode as long as you mind how you finger the segment/selector
registers.

 >>     Another question... Is it possible to make a chip that is backward
 >>compatible with the 286, but *will not* work on an 8088.
 >
 >Take a look at the 80376 (I think).  It's only a 32-bit machine, with no
 >protected mode.  No 8086 compatibility.

But the '286 has protected mode and 8086 compatibility, so the 80376 (or
whatever) doesn't seem to be backward compatible with the '286....

wbeebe@bilver.uucp (Bill Beebe) (12/20/90)

In article <4908@auspex.auspex.com> guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:

> >>     Another question... Is it possible to make a chip that is backward
> >>compatible with the 286, but *will not* work on an 8088.
> >
> >Take a look at the 80376 (I think).  It's only a 32-bit machine, with no
> >protected mode.  No 8086 compatibility.
>
>But the '286 has protected mode and 8086 compatibility, so the 80376 (or
>whatever) doesn't seem to be backward compatible with the '286....

But it _is_ backward compatible with the 80286 in protected, segmented mode.