[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Request: word-processing with equations

sietsma@latcs1.oz.au (Jocelyn Sietsma Penington) (12/19/90)

I have recently acquired an ibm-clone, primarily for word-processing
my thesis.  I want something that will display mathematical formulae,
greek letters, etc.  It doesn't absolutely have to be WYSIWYG (although
that would be nice) but it has to be nice to use as a bulk word processor.

Can anybody suggest any packages?

Thanks for your help

JSP
--
(Jocelyn Penington, a.k.a. Sietsma - feel free to use either)
Email: sietsma@LATCS1.oz.au            Address: Materials Research Laboratory

whitejon@acf5.NYU.EDU (jonathan white) (12/20/90)

In article <9358@latcs1.oz.au> sietsma@latcs1.oz.au (Jocelyn Sietsma Penington) writes:

>I want something that will display mathematical formulae,
>greek letters, etc.  It doesn't absolutely have to be WYSIWYG (although
>that would be nice) but it has to be nice to use as a bulk word processor.
>
>Can anybody suggest any packages?

I'd like to recomend WordPerfect 5.1 It's not a WYSIWYG but then it doesn't
run as slow as WYSIWYG either. I find that the preview mode is adiquate
for everything that I do. Has GREAT tables to.

Jonathan

jjj@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Joni J. Johnson) (12/20/90)

 I have found ChiWriter to be an excellent wp for the bucks. It's much
 cheaper than many others, but does Greek letters, mathematical symbols,
 several other fonts, and has facilities to do multi-line equations. I
 used it for my thesis and I had some very messy equations-subscripted Greek
 characters, etc.  The nice thing about ChiWriter is that what you see is
 what you get-rather than having control characters all over the screen
 and not knowing what it really looks like until you print it out, you
 see on the screen exactly what you'll print out (once you're done with the
 line that is).  You can do multi-line summation and integral signs/equations.
 The (apocryphal) story is that a computer whiz wanted the perfect wp to
 write his thesis on and came up with this. It's always been able to do what
 I want-you can even design characters and symbols.  Good luck on your hunt!

eric@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au (Eric Lindsay) (12/21/90)

Another word processor with equation handling is Lotus Manuscript.  This
can handle about 90% of the things required by our users (they have to
use TeX if they need more).  We evaluated about 50 word processors before
selecting Manuscript, however that was several years ago and some of the
others may now have equal capabilities.

I've been using it to write manuals for a computer system, typically
exceeding 100 pages per file, and it is fine on an AT for that size.  Bit
sluggish on an XT for large files, and you do need a few meg of disk space.
The user interface and approach is ... diferent ... but our office staff
picked it up readily and didn't complain much about it.  Potential problems:
it is typically business costly package.  Also, Lotus have bought another,
Windows based, word processor company, and therefore will probably stop
updating Manuscript (it went through V1.0, 2.0 and is at present on 2.1).
Printing facilities are very much aimed at Postscript
 Eric Lindsay, School of Maths, Uni of Technology Sydney