[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Western Digital Controller Card help

kap@eng.cam.ac.uk (Kevin A.Price) (12/17/90)

Hi netlanders,

Does anyone out there have or know of a Western Digital
disk controller card type no. WD-1003-RA2?

Is it RLL or MFM?
DO you know what the DIP switches do?
What about the jumpers?

Thanks in advance.

Kev
e-mail kap@eng.cam.ac.uk

tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin) (12/20/90)

In article <18700@rasp.eng.cam.ac.uk>, kap@eng.cam.ac.uk (Kevin A.Price) says:

>Hi netlanders,
>
>Does anyone out there have or know of a Western Digital
>disk controller card type no. WD-1003-RA2?
>
>Is it RLL or MFM?
>DO you know what the DIP switches do?
>What about the jumpers?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Kev
>e-mail kap@eng.cam.ac.uk

I sent this gentleman a response via e-mail but I thought I should
pass this information on to everyone else.

Western Digital has an 800 number (800-777-4787) that you can
call and order any of the booklets that came with one of their boards.

You can also get their BBS phone number and download drivers and
the booklets in ASCII form (the booklets, not the drivers :-).

Call the 800 number and select the BBS information option for the phone
number.

Carl Schelin
tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (12/20/90)

In article <1990Dec19.195210.22683@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin) writes:
>In article <18700@rasp.eng.cam.ac.uk>, kap@eng.cam.ac.uk (Kevin A.Price) says:
>>Does anyone out there know of a WD disk controller card type no. WD-1003-RA2?
>>Is it RLL or MFM?

2:1 MFM controller

>>DO you know what the DIP switches do?
>>What about the jumpers?

Not off hand ... I'll se if I can find a book ... but don't hold your breath :-)

>I sent this gentleman a response via e-mail but I thought I should
>pass this information on to everyone else.

>Western Digital has an 800 number (800-777-4787) that you can
>call and order any of the booklets that came with one of their boards.

That's fine for us here in the US ... BUT ... (800) numbers are USELESS to
someone in the UK ...

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin) (12/21/90)

In article <1892@travis.csd.harris.com>, leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) says:

>In article <1990Dec19.195210.22683@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin) writes:
>>In article <18700@rasp.eng.cam.ac.uk>, kap@eng.cam.ac.uk (Kevin A.Price) says:
>>>Does anyone out there know of a WD disk controller card type no. WD-1003-RA2?
>>>Is it RLL or MFM?
>
>2:1 MFM controller
>
>>>DO you know what the DIP switches do?
>>>What about the jumpers?
>
>Not off hand ... I'll se if I can find a book ... but don't hold your breath :-)
>
>>I sent this gentleman a response via e-mail but I thought I should
>>pass this information on to everyone else.
>
>>Western Digital has an 800 number (800-777-4787) that you can
>>call and order any of the booklets that came with one of their boards.
>
>That's fine for us here in the US ... BUT ... (800) numbers are USELESS to
>someone in the UK ...
>

>leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com                 Leo Hinds               (305)973-5229
>Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
>creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

Well gee! I apologize for burdening you with this INFORMATION! SOME of us
don't know EVERYTHING there is to know about phone numbers.

Gee, just TRY to be helpful and see what happens.

And a happy holidays to YOU too.

Carl Schelin
tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu

curci@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (Raymond Curci) (12/21/90)

In article <1892@travis.csd.harris.com> leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) writes:
>In article <1990Dec19.195210.22683@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin) writes:
>>In article <18700@rasp.eng.cam.ac.uk>, kap@eng.cam.ac.uk (Kevin A.Price) says:
>>>Does anyone out there know of a WD disk controller card type no. WD-1003-RA2?
>>>Is it RLL or MFM?
>2:1 MFM controller

The WD1003-RA2 is an IBM AT combination RLL hard disk / 2 floppy disk
controller card.  I believe that it supports a maximum of 1:2 interleave.
Here is some additional info:

wd1003-wa2	IBM AT combo MFM hard disk / 2 floppy disk controller
wd1003-wah	IBM AT MFM hard disk only controller

I believe that the WD1003-RA2 has been replaced by the WD1003V-MR2 and
WD1003V-SR2, but don't hold me to this.

You can probably get Western Digital to send you a data sheet by calling them
at (714) 863-0102.

--
Raymond Curci                     INTERNET: curci@mailer.scri.fsu.edu
Systems Engineer                  UUCP:     ...!uunet!mailer.scri.fsu.edu!curci