[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] CD ROM / Ziff Davis Computer Library

jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon Sreekanth) (12/12/90)

We're considering subscribing to Ziff Davis' Computer Library (full text
of computer magazines, updated monthly by cd rom, 1 year $765, 212-503-4400)

Of course, we also would need to buy a CD ROM drive.

Are there any good combo deals ? Such as, are there some CD ROM sellers who
throw in a sub to Ziff Davis (rather than some encyclopedias that I don't
really need ? )

Other than this, which are some good (mail order) places to buy CD ROM drives ?

I'm looking at external drives, rather than internal. In either case, is it
correct to say that one slot will be used up for a controller ? Is it
SCSI ? My preference for external is because then I could tie other devices
(tape drives, etc) to the same scsi port. Is this correct ?

Please post, or email, and I'll summarize.

Thanks much,

/ Jon Sreekanth

Assabet Valley Microsystems			Fax and PC products
346 Lincoln St #722, Marlboro, MA 01752		508-562-0722
jon_sree@world.std.com

rgc@raybed2.msd.ray.com (RICK CARLE) (12/15/90)

In article <JON_SREE.90Dec12105954@world.std.com>, jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon Sreekanth) writes:
> Of course, we also would need to buy a CD ROM drive.
>
> Are there any good combo deals ? Such as, are there some CD ROM sellers who
> throw in a sub to Ziff Davis (rather than some encyclopedias that I don't
> really need ? )

Get hold of a DAK mail order catalog.  DAK is offering what seems to be
a great CD-ROM buy.  For about $600 (maybe $699) you get an external
CD-ROM drive plus several CD-ROMs (encyclopedia, etc.) that DAK claims
sells for some $2400.  I've had good luck with DAK.
	Rick

stanley@phoenix.com (John Stanley) (12/16/90)

rgc@raybed2.msd.ray.com (RICK CARLE) writes:

> In article <JON_SREE.90Dec12105954@world.std.com>, jon_sree@world.std.com (Jo
> > Are there any good combo deals ? Such as, are there some CD ROM sellers who
> > throw in a sub to Ziff Davis (rather than some encyclopedias that I don't
> > really need ? )
>
> Get hold of a DAK mail order catalog.  DAK is offering what seems to be
> a great CD-ROM buy.  For about $600 (maybe $699) you get an external
> CD-ROM drive plus several CD-ROMs (encyclopedia, etc.) that DAK claims
> sells for some $2400.  I've had good luck with DAK.
> 	Rick

   Don't buy the DAK drive just for the software. Some of it takes so
much memory to run that you will have to unload alot of other stuff to
run it. The translation dictionary runs only as a TSR and is 149+k! The
Atlases won't tell you if you run out of memory (530k for full
functionality on the World one) they just don't do certain things. No
errors, just no function.

   OTH, the Reference Library, as a TSR, is 20k. It is smart enough to
swap other programs to disk to get room for itself when you activate it.
This was written by the same company that wrote the 149+k TSR for the
translation dictionary. I keep the Reference Lib in most of the time.
The Library of the Future (450 books) is nice, and would be nicer if it
could be a nice TSR with pasting like the Reference Library.

 KING RICHARD: "Come, bustle, bustle; caparison my horse;
                Call up Lord Stanley, bid him bring his power."
                  Richard III,  William Shakespeare ACT5 SC3

jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon Sreekanth) (12/18/90)

In article <JON_SREE.90Dec12105954@world.std.com> jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon Sreekanth) writes:

.... questions about Ziff Davis ...

Thanks to Rick Carle and John Stanley for the info about the DAK offer.
It was one of the choices I was considering.

Question is : if the software is only marginally useful, is $699 + $19 S&H
a reasonable price for the hardware only ? The picture in the ad shows
that the external drive is Sony, but I could not see any model number.
What is the  model number, and what are the specs ? (such as seek time,
people's experiences about reliability, etc.)

Ziff Davis themselves offer a combo deal. They told me I could get a
Sony CDU 6101 for $640. Is this a good price for the specific model ?

Has there been any CD ROM drive review in the popular pc magazines ?

Thanks ,

stanley@phoenix.com (John Stanley) (12/18/90)

jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon Sreekanth) writes:

> a reasonable price for the hardware only ? The picture in the ad shows
> that the external drive is Sony, but I could not see any model number.
> What is the  model number, and what are the specs ? (such as seek time,
> people's experiences about reliability, etc.)

   The drive they sent me is the CDU-6201-10. No hardware specs with it.
It does support audio. The interface is the CDB-242.

   Some of the software is marginal. However, I can now look up any word
I want to and include the definition in posts. Isn't this worth $699 ;-)

schwalbe@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Jim Schwalbe) (12/21/90)

In article <JON_SREE.90Dec17130257@world.std.com> jon_sree@world.std.com
(Jon Sreekanth) writes:

>Thanks to Rick Carle and John Stanley for the info about the DAK offer.
>It was one of the choices I was considering.
>
>Question is : if the software is only marginally useful, is $699 + $19 S&H
>a reasonable price for the hardware only ? The picture in the ad shows
>that the external drive is Sony, but I could not see any model number.
>What is the  model number, and what are the specs ? (such as seek time,
>people's experiences about reliability, etc.)
>
>Ziff Davis themselves offer a combo deal. They told me I could get a
>Sony CDU 6101 for $640. Is this a good price for the specific model ?

The external CD-ROM drive which DAK is selling is the CDU 6201.  The cheapest
I've seen that for sale in the Computer Shopper is $650.  If someone told you
that the 6 CDs that come with the offer are not worth another $50, IMHO they
are sorely mistaken.  While some of the programs do have their shortcomings,
I would pay the price for the SW alone.  The Library of the Future and the
Encyclopedia are worth the price by themselves.  The Software Toolworks
Reference Library (similar to Microsoft Bookshelf) is easily worth it.  While
the Language Translator interface is a little (OK, maybe a lot) lame, its
translation of phrases, idioms, and colloquialisms is very impressive.  Not
for everyone however.  The World and US Atlas you can think of as just being
thrown in for good measure.  I've been very pleased with the package and
feel it is well worth the money if you're ready to go CD.  I shopped around
a *long* time and I can tell you this is by far the best package out there.
If you're thinking of buying a drive separately now and CD's separately, be
prepared to pay handsomely for the CD's.  They're new enough that they are
still commanding a premium.  Look for the prices to drop dramatically as
more and more stuff comes out on CD.  I just got my Microsoft C 6.0a upgrade
on CD.  Beats having a dozen floppies hanging around.

[Just the opinions of a satisfied customer]

.---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
: Jim Schwalbe               .----------------. "Half of what I say is      :
: Hardware Research Group .--+-------------.  |  meaningless; but I say it  :
: Encore Computer Corp.   |  | E N C O R E |  |  so that the other half may :
: Mail:                   |  `-------------+--'  reach you."                :
:  schwalbe@encore.com    `----------------'             - Kahil Gibran     :
`---------------------------------------------------------------------------'

jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon Sreekanth) (12/22/90)

   (Jon Sreekanth) writes:

   >Question is : if the software is only marginally useful, is $699 + $19 S&H
   >a reasonable price for the hardware only ? The picture in the ad shows

   The external CD-ROM drive which DAK is selling is the CDU 6201.  The cheapest
   I've seen that for sale in the Computer Shopper is $650.  If someone told you
   that the 6 CDs that come with the offer are not worth another $50, IMHO they
   are sorely mistaken.  While some of the programs do have their shortcomings,

Thanks ! This was exactly the info I was looking for. I've ordered from DAK
before, but it pays to be on your guard with them. They're honest enough
about what they mention in their ads; it's what they don't mention that
could trip you up :-)

   more and more stuff comes out on CD.  I just got my Microsoft C 6.0a upgrade
   on CD.  Beats having a dozen floppies hanging around.

I'm completely sold on the CD concept. I aim to gradually put my old
archives on CD. There must be service bureaus willing to cut a single CD
for maybe under $100 ? For 500 meg of online access to misc. junk I've
saved over the years, under control of one of the new PIM's (personal
information managers) ... it would be a quantum leap.

Regards,