[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] ELViS: Two simple questions about this VI clone

dayger@penelope.Oswego.EDU (12/20/90)

Question 1:  Are there any docs for ELVIS?  All I have are the binaries.

Question 2:  The one feature of ELVIS I really can't stand is the screen
	     colores. (Yellow text, blue background.)  How can I change the
	     colors?  I've tried setting command-line switches and have also
	     tried using a couple of utilities to change them.  ELVIS always
	     re-sets the colors.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-Tim
 dayger@oswego.oswego.edu

davel@booboo.SanDiego.NCR.COM (David Lord) (12/22/90)

In article <1990Dec20.025029.5422@oswego.Oswego.EDU> dayger@penelope.Oswego.EDU () writes:
>Question 2:  The one feature of ELVIS I really can't stand is the screen
>	     colores. (Yellow text, blue background.)  How can I change the
>	     colors?  I've tried setting command-line switches and have also
>	     tried using a couple of utilities to change them.  ELVIS always
>	     re-sets the colors.

You must have a different version than I had. Mine was light grey on blue,
completely unreadable on my monitor. I got the source from the author, don't
have his address easily available right now, and changed the colors myself.
There is no option to set the colors. Some alternatives though: to get white
text on a black background you can run in "ansi.sys" or "nansi.sys" mode.
If you have "nansi.sys" (your best choice) put the following into your
autoexec.bat file: "set TERM=nansi". Oh, just remembered this may only
work on the newest version (1.4) but I'm not sure. If you only have ansi.sys
put "set TERM=ansi" into autoexec.bat. You lose some functionality if you
use ansi.sys and again I'm not sure what version it works in.

Another thing you might try if you have EGA or VGA is to get a program
that sets the pallete rather than just changes the colors, of course then
any other programs you run will look weird. I'm afraid the best option is
to get the source and fix it the way you like it.