[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Getting a Dvorak XT keyboard - THE ANSWER

gow@sakari.mrceg (Ed Gow) (12/19/90)

Thanks to those who responded.

The Dvorak keyboards that I am aware of are:

I.   The Northgate Omnikey 102 and Omnikey ULTRA keyboards.
	The ULTRA has 12 more function keys than the 102.
	These will support two different Dvorak layouts that
	differ primarily in the number key layout.  A Dvorak
	keycap set is available for $15 to keep the keys from
	being all askew (like on my Sun :-)

	The prices are:

	Model		list	best I've found
	102		$99	$69 Access Computer @ 800-359-6800
	ULTRA		$129	$99 "	"	"	"	"

II.  The Datadesk International Switchboard keyboard is supposed to
	fit both the Mac and the PC and is to offer a Dvorak module.
	This is based on a magazine article.  The company hasn't
	confirmed this for me yet.  List price is $240 plus $50
	for each of several keypad modules. Datadesk is at
	800-826-5398.

I know not how others will choose, but I'm getting an Omnikey 102.

	-Ed
--
------	Ed Gow 	------  uwm!mrsvr!gemed!sakari!gow  -----------

		My opinions are NOT those of GE.
  MGB - The most fun you can have in a car without a back seat

dr.warren@pro-graphics.cts.com (Warren Lieuallen) (12/23/90)

    Just thought I'd stick my two cents worth in.  Are you aware that
by "re-mapping" your keyboard via software, you don't have to buy
anything to get a Dvorak keyboard?  Try looking at general keyboard
utilities like SuperKey, or check into Public Domain/ShareWare.  I
bet there's a Dvorak converter available for the asking!
  Dr. Warren G. Lieuallen      Internet: dr.warren@pro-graphics.cts.com
  93 Windy Willow Way              UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!dr.warren
  Branchburg, NJ  08876            ARPA: crash!pro-graphics!dr.warren@nosc.mil
======"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein=======