[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Strange problem w/ System Clock

stevef@bony1.uucp (Steve Faiwiszewski) (12/19/90)

I have a strange problem with my NEC Powermate SX+ (a 386SX) machine.
Some time ago the system clock began to halt whenever the computer was
powered off.  When the computer is turned on again the clock resumes from
where it left off.  Nothing else seems to be wrong with the system, so it
can't be a simple case of the CMOS battery dying (after all the last time
the system was on is retained in the CMOS ROM).

Nothing physical was done to the machine (i.e. no new cards or peripherals
were added).  The only thing I can think of, is that around the time I noticed
the problem I re-partitioned my hard disk.  The machine came with DOS 3.3
and a 42 MB HD, which was partitioned into a 32 Meg C: and an 8 Meg D: drives.
NEC provides the facility of creating "Large" partitions under DOS 3.3 and
that's what I did (using FDisk).  Can that possibly had anything to do with
it?  Has anyone else seen this problem before?

	Thanks,
		- Steve -
Internet: stevef@bony.COM    |              Steve Faiwiszewski
          stevef@bony1.UUCP  | If you could turn on the lights quickly enough,
bang    : uunet!bony1!stevef |    you could see what the dark looks like!

grege@gold.gvg.tek.com (Greg Ebert) (12/20/90)

In article <1990Dec19.040938.8110@bony1.uucp> stevef@bony1.UUCP (Steve Faiwiszewski) writes:
>I have a strange problem with my NEC Powermate SX+ (a 386SX) machine.
>Some time ago the system clock began to halt whenever the computer was
>powered off.

Check your battery. It's quite possible that there isn't enough "OOMPH"
to run the CMOS oscillator, but enough to retain CMOS RAM. This could go
on for a l-o-n-g time because once the oscillator shuts off, the current
from the battery drops to nil (Only CMOS leakage current). When the
system is powered-on, the automatic power-switchover circuit will drive
the oscillator with a healthy 5 volts and get it ticking.

----- Boycott redwood products ---------------------------- Recycle -----
"Thou shalt abide by The GNU Manifesto"                          #####
{uunet!tektronix!gold!grege}     Register to vote, then        ##  |  ##
grege@gold.gvg.tek.com           vote responsibly             #    |    #
							      #   /|\   #
Support high oil prices, waste tax $$ on war, evade domestic   #/  |  \#
problems, and die young on foreign soil- Just say YES to Bush   #######

dold@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (12/20/90)

in article <1990Dec19.040938.8110@bony1.uucp>, stevef@bony1.uucp (Steve Faiwiszewski) says:

> powered off.  When the computer is turned on again the clock resumes from
> where it left off.  Nothing else seems to be wrong with the system, so it

On the RTC used in my computer (not the same as a PC), the clock was also
stopped.  But in fact it was not advancing at all!  The OS keeps track of
time while the system is running.  The RTC is only used at boot time.
After a power cycle, the time would be equal to when I last set it,
not when it was powered off.
My problem was the crystal used only by the RTC.  No oscillation, no clock.
In my case, this is a very small tubular thing, looks like an old capactior.

This is not a PC.  It is not running DOS.  Just a thought.
--
---
Clarence A Dold - dold@tsmiti.Convergent.COM            (408) 435-5293

jeh@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (12/21/90)

In article <1990Dec19.040938.8110@bony1.uucp>,
stevef@bony1.uucp (Steve Faiwiszewski) writes:
> I have a strange problem with my NEC Powermate SX+ (a 386SX) machine.
> Some time ago the system clock began to halt whenever the computer was
> powered off.  When the computer is turned on again the clock resumes from
> where it left off.  Nothing else seems to be wrong with the system, so it
> can't be a simple case of the CMOS battery dying (after all the last time
> the system was on is retained in the CMOS ROM).

It's almost certainly the battery.  That's what usually happens
when the battery dies-- first the clock stops when the computer
is off, then later the computer starts to forget...

  --jh

--
John Hood, Mann Library, Cornell University
jhood@albert.mannlib.cornell.edu, jeh@crnlvax5.bitnet, uunet!biar!jhood

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (12/23/90)

In article <1990Dec19.040938.8110@bony1.uucp> stevef@bony1.UUCP (Steve Faiwiszewski) writes:
$I have a strange problem with my NEC Powermate SX+ (a 386SX) machine.
$Some time ago the system clock began to halt whenever the computer was
$powered off.  When the computer is turned on again the clock resumes from
$where it left off.  Nothing else seems to be wrong with the system, so it
$can't be a simple case of the CMOS battery dying (after all the last time
$the system was on is retained in the CMOS ROM).

   My machine started losing time when powered off, and quickly progressed
to the point where the real time clock virtually stops when the machine is
powered off.  My guess is that it _is_ the battery; it may not have dropped
to a level at which the CMOS RAM loses its information, but it may not be
enough for the clock to run.  That's just a guess, though.
--
 __            __  _  | ...!nexus.yorku.edu!xrtll!silver |  always