[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Crunching executables

mark@zach.fit.edu ( Mark R. Craig) (12/20/90)

There is a program for the Amiga computer called PowerPacker that compresses
executables in such a way that when you execute the resulting PowerPacked
file, it uncompresses the executable TO MEMORY (not disk) and runs it.
I was wondering if such a program exists for IBM (Public Domain prefered) -
I need to get FRACTINT.EXE to fit on one low density 5.25" floppy.

Thanks.

Mark R. Craig
Internet:  la086318@zach.fit.edu
UUCP:      ...!winnie!zach!la086318

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (12/20/90)

In article <1747@winnie.fit.edu> mark@zach.fit.edu ( Mark R. Craig) writes:
>There is a program for the Amiga computer called PowerPacker that compresses
>executables in such a way that when you execute the resulting PowerPacked
>file, it uncompresses the executable TO MEMORY (not disk) and runs it.
>I was wondering if such a program exists for IBM (Public Domain prefered) -
:

Yes, it is called LZEXE.  Available as /pc/pd2/lzexe91.zip by
anonymous ftp from uwasa.fi archives, Vaasa, Finland.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

cur022%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (12/20/90)

In article <1990Dec20.094412.14679@uwasa.fi>, ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:
> In article <1747@winnie.fit.edu> mark@zach.fit.edu ( Mark R. Craig) writes:
>>There is a program for the Amiga computer called PowerPacker that compresses
>>executables in such a way that when you execute the resulting PowerPacked
>>file, it uncompresses the executable TO MEMORY (not disk) and runs it.
>>I was wondering if such a program exists for IBM (Public Domain prefered) -
> :
>
> Yes, it is called LZEXE.  Available as /pc/pd2/lzexe91.zip by
> anonymous ftp from uwasa.fi archives, Vaasa, Finland.

There is also a PKWare version called PKLITE, which is around in various
places.
Bob Eager                | University of Kent at Canterbury

tony@mantis.co.uk (Tony Lezard) (12/21/90)

mark@zach.fit.edu ( Mark R. Craig) writes:

> There is a program for the Amiga computer called PowerPacker that compresses
> executables in such a way that when you execute the resulting PowerPacked
> file, it uncompresses the executable TO MEMORY (not disk) and runs it.
> I was wondering if such a program exists for IBM (Public Domain prefered) -
> I need to get FRACTINT.EXE to fit on one low density 5.25" floppy.
>
> Thanks.

As has already been pointed out, LZEXE is the program to do this.
Unfortunately, FRACTINT (version 14) appears to have already been
compressed by LZEXE (well, my copy anyway) and so of course no
further compression attempts will reduce it noticably below 168k.

Time to start searching for a program to split large files across
disks!

Still, it's well worth getting hold of a copy of LZEXE anyway.

--
Tony Lezard.  E-mail: tony@mantis.co.uk, Snail: Mantis Consultants,
Unit 56, St. John's Innovation Centre, Cambridge, CB4 4WS, United Kingdom.

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (12/23/90)

In article <1747@winnie.fit.edu> mark@zach.fit.edu ( Mark R. Craig) writes:
$There is a program for the Amiga computer called PowerPacker that compresses
$executables in such a way that when you execute the resulting PowerPacked
$file, it uncompresses the executable TO MEMORY (not disk) and runs it.
$I was wondering if such a program exists for IBM (Public Domain prefered) -
$I need to get FRACTINT.EXE to fit on one low density 5.25" floppy.

   I know of two, and there are probably others.  LZEXE is widely available;
check BBSs, perhaps Simtel20, and major shareware/PD distribution houses.
Phil Katz also has one, called PKLITE; like his other programs, it's shareware,
costs $47 to register, and reportedly works very well.  See the December 25
issue of PC Magazine for a quick review of PKLITE.

   Note that some programs can not be compressed; examples include those
which store overlays as part of the .EXE itself, since they then have to
 __            __  _  | ...!nexus.yorku.edu!xrtll!silver |  always
 __) | |_ \/  |__ | \ | if you don't like my posts, type |    for
_____________________/  find / -print|xargs cat|compress |   SNTF