[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Crunching FRACTINT: a losing battle

ho@hoss.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) (12/23/90)

In <ce3iu1w163w@mantis.co.uk> tony@mantis.co.uk (Tony Lezard) writes:

>mark@zach.fit.edu ( Mark R. Craig) writes:

>> I need to get FRACTINT.EXE to fit on one low density 5.25" floppy.

>As has already been pointed out, LZEXE is the program to do this.
>Unfortunately, FRACTINT (version 14) appears to have already been
>compressed by LZEXE (well, my copy anyway) and so of course no
>further compression attempts will reduce it noticably below 168k.

More bad news for Mark -- version 15 of FractINT uses overlays, which
prevents it from being compresses by LZEXE, PKLITE or (I suspect) any
other .EXE compressor.

The executable alone no longer fits on a 360K floppy, much less with
DOS and COMMAND.COM.

This doesn't disturb *me* too greatly, because I have a hard drive --
but it would be a pain in the @$$ for those without hard drives.  Too
bad, because v15 has a much nicer interface.  (More accurately, v15 HAS
a user interface.)

[Followups directed to comp.os.msdos.misc;  it was my understanding that
this group isn't supposed to exist.]
--
        ... Michael Ho, University of Nebraska
Internet: ho@hoss.unl.edu | "Mine... is the last voice that you will ever hear."

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (12/23/90)

In article <1990Dec22.204844.16050@hoss.unl.edu> ho@hoss.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) writes:
... much deleted ...
>More bad news for Mark -- version 15 of FractINT uses overlays, which
>prevents it from being compresses by LZEXE, PKLITE or (I suspect) any
>other .EXE compressor.
... rest deleted ...

Just a simple question.  Have you actually tried PKLITE on Fracint
1.5?  (No need to answer about LZEXE, it is not even supposed to
handle overlays.)

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)