[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] QEMM and SCSI host adaptors

chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu (Chuck Rickard; ACS (UGRAD)) (12/15/90)

In article <19074@yunexus.YorkU.CA> Richard Reiner writes:

>I've heard some vague mumblings to the effect that QEMM's
>ability to extend the DOS task space above 640K won't work with
>"some" SCSI host adapters, because these adapters insist on
>using a small chunk at the top of the bottom 640Kb, thus making
>a larger contiguous space impossible.

I have a WD-7000 FASST SCSI controller and I have a dickens of time trying to
run QEMM 5.1.  The program crashes WP 5.1 when attempting a spell check and
won't load things into high memory.  The plus side is that it is faster than
using HIMEM from Microsoft, although it not as reliable.

Any help in this matter would also be appreciated by me.  Thanks!

Chuck Rickard
(chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu)

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (12/16/90)

In article <4679@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu.UUCP (Chuck Rickard) writes:
<I have a WD-7000 FASST SCSI controller and I have a dickens of time trying to
<run QEMM 5.1.  The program crashes WP 5.1 when attempting a spell check and
<won't load things into high memory.  The plus side is that it is faster than
<using HIMEM from Microsoft, although it not as reliable.
<
<Any help in this matter would also be appreciated by me.  Thanks!

Two possible problems come to mind:

	1. Try setting a bigger DMA= parameter, as described in the QEMM docs.
	2. Perhaps your SCSI has some extra h/w that is mapped in to the
		upper address space.  The docs for it ought to mention it
		if this is the case.  You could then EXCLUDE= that space.
--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

boyer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Charles David Boyer) (12/17/90)

In article <4679@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu.UUCP (Chuck Rickard) writes:
>I have a WD-7000 FASST SCSI controller and I have a dickens of time trying to
>run QEMM 5.1.  The program crashes WP 5.1 when attempting a spell check and
>won't load things into high memory.  The plus side is that it is faster than
>using HIMEM from Microsoft, although it not as reliable.
>
>Any help in this matter would also be appreciated by me.  Thanks!

The problem you describe with the spell checker crashing is caused by a
bug in WordPerfect. They have an interim release that solves that problem.
Look on the Help Screen in WP. My release date is 8/20/90. Although it is
not the latest, it does fix the speller lockup problem.

As far as the loadhi problem is concerned I havn't a clue, perhaps some of the
other netters can help.

Dave Boyer
boyer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu (Chuck Rickard; ACS (UGRAD)) (12/17/90)

In article <78448@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> Charles David Boyer writes:

>The problem you describe with the spell checker crashing is caused by a
>bug in WordPerfect. They have an interim release that solves that problem.
>Look on the Help Screen in WP. My release date is 8/20/90. Although it is
>not the latest, it does fix the speller lockup problem.

>As far as the loadhi problem is concerned I havn't a clue, perhaps some of the
>other netters can help.

With the help from another person on the net, I finally found out what the
problem was.  Since the FASST card is a bus master and doesn't like to go
through QEMM normally, I must tell it to by using the /W option.  This also
makes it act fine with Windows, QEMM, LOADHI, and WP Spell Checker.

Thanks again for your help everyone!

Happy Holidays!

Chuck Rickard
(chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu)

ms33@prism.gatech.EDU (Mike Sullivan, a.k.a. Sully) (12/24/90)

In article <4679@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu.UUCP (Chuck Rickard) writes:

>I have a WD-7000 FASST SCSI controller and I have a dickens of time trying to
>run QEMM 5.1.  The program crashes WP 5.1 when attempting a spell check and
>won't load things into high memory....

Some of the people I work with have come to the conclusion that QEMM 5.1 does
not work with either WP 5.1 or Quattro Pro.  They run on 386's, without
any multitasking software (at least when tracing down problems.)  I don't
know if it works unreliably or if it just plain doesn't work.  But I will
say that it may be premature to blame your SCSI controller.

Mike Sullivan

One of many Michael P. Sullivans, my views are expressly my own, and are not
endorsed by my boss, fellow workers, or any other Mike Sullivan. :-)
Internet: ms33@prism.gatech.edu     |      Ga.Tech, Atlanta Georgia, 30332