[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] remote use

nrossi@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Nick Rossi) (12/12/90)

Is there a program available that allows you to call into your computer from
a remote site and execute DOS commands and such as if you were right at your
computer (giving you the DOS prompt and all)?  It would preferably be
something where you would have to enter a password to get into it.  I may
need to get at some stuff on my IBM here while I'm home for Christmas, so
something like this would be ideal.

Nick Rossi, '93     | "That's nasty, Wyatt..."
Harvey Mudd College | "That's Chet, Gary!"

mahoney@primerd.prime.com (12/13/90)

> /* Written  4:27 am  Dec 12, 1990 by nrossi@jarthur.UUCP in primerd:comp.sys.
> /* ---------- "remote use" ---------- */
>
> Is there a program available that allows you to call into your computer from
> a remote site and execute DOS commands and such as if you were right at your
> computer (giving you the DOS prompt and all)?  It would preferably be
> something where you would have to enter a password to get into it.  I may
> need to get at some stuff on my IBM here while I'm home for Christmas, so
> something like this would be ideal.

> Nick Rossi, '93     | "That's nasty, Wyatt..."
> Harvey Mudd College | "That's Chet, Gary!"
> /* End of text from primerd:comp.sys.ibm.pc */

Carbon Copy by Meridian Technology should do what you want. It allows you to
execute DOS commands on the remote PC, transfer files, and has password
protection. The address that I have for them is:

			1101 Dove Street, Suite 120
			Newport Beach CA 92660

							Mike

Mike Mahoney                Commercial UNIX Group        (508)620-2800 X2965
mahoney@ssgp62.Prime.COM    Prime Computer Inc.
                            500 Old Connecticut Path
                            M/S 10-15
                            Framingham, MA  01701

eagle@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Daniel L'Hommedieu) (12/13/90)

In article <10099@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> nrossi@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Nick Rossi) writes:

>Is there a program available that allows you to call into your computer from
>a remote site and execute DOS commands and such as if you were right at your
>computer (giving you the DOS prompt and all)?  It would preferably be
>something where you would have to enter a password to get into it.  I may
>need to get at some stuff on my IBM here while I'm home for Christmas, so
>something like this would be ideal.

I believe you can use the CTTY command.  You will need to set up your
com port with the MODE command.  A few years ago, there was an article
in a PC magazine (I think it was PCMag) about using CTTY.  It used a
password program written in BASIC to protect your data from others who
might call in.  I ran it at 300 baud, and it was pretty interesting.
--
Daniel C. L'Hommedieu III             Internet:  eagle@catt.ncsu.edu
Prodigy ID: BCCJ33D                             dclhomm@eos.ncsu.edu

MORRISON@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu (Aaron) (12/14/90)

In article <10099@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, nrossi@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Nick
Rossi) says:

>Is there a program available that allows you to call into your computer from
>a remote site and execute DOS commands and such as if you were right at your
>computer (giving you the DOS prompt and all)?  It would preferably be
>something where you would have to enter a password to get into it.  I may
>need to get at some stuff on my IBM here while I'm home for Christmas, so
>something like this would be ideal.

Yep, there sure is.  The first one to come to mind is PROCOMM.
Procomm has a host mode (ALT-Q - I think?) which will do what you want.  Very e
asy to use.  Best of all it is PUBLIC DOMAIN. (Yes, you can also set up
passwords for access to the dos shell.)

If you can get Procomm Plus, Its host mode is a bit better in that you can
run a "bbs" with multiple users, e-mail.  Here you can control which user
has access to the DOS shell.  Procomm is all or nothing if I remember correctly
..

Aaron :)

MORRISON@ucf1vm     - Bitnet

jimf@pro-gateway.cts.com (Jim Ford, Co-SysOp) (12/15/90)

Yeah, there sure is.  Telix has a whole bunch of Host modes and all of them
have that option.  They, however, do not use a password, they use access
levels to determine whether or not you can go into DOS.  I remember seeing a
program on the commercial market once (Although I can not remember what it is)
that said it could give you COMPLETE access to your DOS system.  (Including
all graphics and such)  I don't really see how this could be possible but I
don't know...

ProLine: jimf@pro-gateway
Internet: jimf@pro-gateway.cts.com
UUCP: crash!pro-gateway!jimf
ARPA: crash!pro-gateway!jimf@nosc.mil
BITNET: jimf%pro-gateway.cts.com@nosc.mil
====================Pro-Gateway 214/644-5113 3/12/2400 baud====================

macress@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Mark A Cress) (12/16/90)

In article <6342@crash.cts.com> jimf@pro-gateway.cts.com (Jim Ford, Co-SysOp) writes:

>[stuff deleted]
>levels to determine whether or not you can go into DOS.  I remember seeing a
>program on the commercial market once (Although I can not remember what it is)
>that said it could give you COMPLETE access to your DOS system.  (Including
>all graphics and such)  I don't really see how this could be possible but I
>don't know...

There are several commercial programs that let you do this well; Carbon Copy
and PC-Anywhere III are the ones I know about.  I set up a system with PC-
Anywhere; from my house, I could call in to the remote computer, boot it up
[with a Honeywell controller, about $60 extra], log in, and run any program
including graphics.  Worked great!

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (12/16/90)

In article <90348.102554MORRISON@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu> MORRISON@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu (Aaron) writes:
>In article <10099@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, nrossi@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Nick
>Rossi) says:
>>
>>Is there a program available that allows you to call into your computer from
>>a remote site and execute DOS commands and such as if you were right at your
:
>Yep, there sure is.  The first one to come to mind is PROCOMM.
>Procomm has a host mode (ALT-Q - I think?) which will do what you want.  Very e
>asy to use.  Best of all it is PUBLIC DOMAIN. (Yes, you can also set up
>passwords for access to the dos shell.)

No dice.  I've used Procomm and procomm Plus for a long time.
Procomm host mode escape to Dos level won't work.  It is true that
it is there alright, but is very buggy and extremely crash-prone at
least on all systems I've tested it.  Try Doug Thomson's TeleReplica
/pc/pd2/tr3-6.zip for much better results.  Available by anonymous
ftp from uwasa.fi archives.

P.S.  Procomm and Procomm+ are excellent products in other respects.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (12/16/90)

In article <90348.102554MORRISON@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu> MORRISON@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu (Aaron) writes:
	[DELETIONS]
>Procomm has a host mode (ALT-Q - I think?) which will do what you want.  Very e
>asy to use.  Best of all it is PUBLIC DOMAIN. (Yes, you can also set up

Public Domain software belongs to the Public. No one owns it. You can copy
it and even SELL it (if you can find a buyer) without paying anyone anything.
Public Domain software is as FREE as anything ever gets.
PROCOMM is NOT Public Domain.

Shareware is software which is OWNED by someone. You can freely copy it
and use it for a trial period. Thereafter, you must PAY the OWNER for its
continued use.
PROCOMM is available in a Shareware version.

Bob Davis, UofALA alum \\ INTERNET: sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com  |  _   _  |
Harris Corporation, ESS \\    UUCP: ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!sonny |_| |_| | |
Advanced Technology Dept.\\ AETHER: K4VNO          |==============|_/\/\/\|_|
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912     \\ VOICE: (407) 727-5886 | I SPEAK ONLY | |_| |_| |
Melbourne, FL 32902        \\  FAX: (407) 729-2537 | FOR MYSELF.  |_________|

akcs.bill@point.UUCP (Bill Wolff) (12/25/90)

Telix also offers the same, yet Telix works faster thaProcomm. <BW>