[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] COMPAQ Portable Video Boards

lwb@pensoft.UUCP (Lance Bledsoe) (12/27/90)

In article <6YQV631@dri.com> liberato@dri.com (Jimmy Liberato) writes:
>In article <580@oneb.UUCP> kmcvay@oneb.UUCP (Ken McVay) writes:
>
>>The system is a 5-year-old Compaq Portable 286, model 101710. I am
>>told it has a built-in 9" mono display and composit jack for RGB output.
>>
>>I am unfamiliar with Compaq, and would like to find out if the machine
>>will accept an EGA card, or if the RGB graphics are built into the
>>motherboard, and can't be over-ridden...
>
>Further, does anyone know if those Compaq portable mono screens can.

The Compaq Portable, Plus Portable 286 and Portable 386 all are built on the
same chassis.  And are all roughly the same except for the motherboard.  At
one time Compaq sold an EGA board for the Deskpro line that just happened
to have a video connector on it for the internal display in the above
mentioned portable line.  Use of this, and only this, board will allow
one to have EGA gray-scale graphhics in an old portable. These boards are
available out there, but you'll have to look hard.

In theory, a Hercules board should work, but the connector and possibly
the signals are different.  Compaq will have an absolute fit (I should know,
I worked there from '82-86!), if you have modifed the electronics of the
computer and you ever want service or warranty work.

Any IBM PC compatible video board will work in any Compaq Portable if you
do not want to use the internal monitor.  But, some video boards WILL work
along side the internal monitor, as long as they don't conflict with the
"B800:0" CGA video address range.

--
Lance Bledsoe                       Off:    (512) 343-1111
Pencom Software, Inc.               Fax     (512) 343-9650