[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Help! Memory Parity Problem!!

shedevil@portia.Stanford.EDU (Annie) (12/21/90)

Help!

Here is what my computer does:

Every so often when I boot it up, *after* displaying the numbers which show
it running up to its 640k, it will go into set-up...it seems to think
that I have changed the size of the memory (which is actually at 640k).
Sometimes the set-up display shows 520k memory,, sometimes 640, and I
think also sometimes 560.

I realize this sounds confusing, but this is what it is doing.

And SOMETIMES it will just freeze up and display this error message:

"Memory Parity Failure".

I realize that something is going in my memory, and I will have to replace it,
but what is it that is going? And how difficult/expensive will it be to
replace? (And how do I physically replace it?)

Thanks,

Annie
--
<*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>
   Anne (She Devil) Mitchell - Stanford Law - BBS: 415-497-5291,1200,N,8,1

bgeer@javelin.es.com (Bob Geer) (12/21/90)

shedevil@portia.Stanford.EDU (Annie) writes:
>"Memory Parity Failure"

Sounds like a marginal memory chip.  There are probably programs out
there that can pinpoint just which chip it is -- I don't have one
myself, unfortunately, to suggest.  The amount of memory detected on
startup is probably a clue.  Individual memory 64k, 256k, or 1meg
chips are reasonably priced, but you don't want to have to buy a whole
flock of them.  Have you a friend in a computer service department?

Replacing individual memory chips is straightforward -- carefully lift
the old chip out of it's socket, push the new one in.  Lifting out
takes patience, as often sockets stubbornly release their contents, so
use a special chip lifting tool; a small screwdriver slid under the
chip & rotated rather than pried mostly works fine.  When inserting a
chip, make REAL sure the legs line up with the socket receptacles -- a
bent leg nullifies the whole procedure.  Also, chips have a small dent
in one end -- make sure to line it up as all the rest are.  Plugging
it in backwards doesn't help at all.  (-: Why those hardware guys
couldn't figure out how to invent "ambidextrous" chips is beyond me
:-)

If you have soldered-in memory instead of socketed, get someone REAL
GOOD at soldering to do the job.  Then be sure to speak to your
favorite diety requesting there be no negative interference.

If you have sipps, it may be easier but more expensive in that you buy
several chips at a time, but it's a little board that plugs in.

PS  Always wanted to meet a she-devil...do you ski?  Ooops, sorry,
this isn't soc.singles, is it...forgot myself :-)  (all in fun)
--
<> Bob `Bear' Geer <> bgeer%javelin@dsd.es.com...dsd.es.com!javelin!bgeer <>
<>      Alta-holic <>   speaking only for myself, one of my many tricks   <>

RFM@psuvm.psu.edu (12/21/90)

My momma always told me to check memory chip seating before you start
replacing chips. On some machines, heat flexing eventually can make
a chip start working loose. This condition produces intermittent mem
parity errors. Open your box & make sure all memory chips are seated firmly.
Bob M., PSU-Harrisburg

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (12/22/90)

In article <1990Dec20.185019.29981@portia.Stanford.EDU> shedevil@portia.Stanford.EDU (Annie) writes:
>Help!
>
>Here is what my computer does:
>
>Every so often when I boot it up, *after* displaying the numbers which show
>it running up to its 640k, it will go into set-up...it seems to think
>that I have changed the size of the memory (which is actually at 640k).
>Sometimes the set-up display shows 520k memory,, sometimes 640, and I
>think also sometimes 560.
>
>I realize this sounds confusing, but this is what it is doing.
>
>And SOMETIMES it will just freeze up and display this error message:
>
>"Memory Parity Failure".

You don't give a brand name, but it looks like your set-up
memory is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaading.

Most AT clones, etc. have a non-volatile storage for set-up info
to retain configuration settings when power is switched off.

Exactly how this is done depends on the mfgr... some use the
true non-volative EEPROM storage (no battery required when power
is off) and some use a low-powered RAM with a (large) capacitor
or a battery.

If your battery is getting low, your machine will intermittently
lose the set-up info when power is turned off.   The longer
power is off, the more likely this will happen.

If this set-up info is lost, the machine will typically enter
set-up mode...with the default setting typically of 500 or so
Kbyte of RAM.   It may even log memory parity errors, either
from the set-up RAM or mistakenly from main memory.

These batteries vary in lifetimes...size, shape, and whether or
not you can change them w/o special tools.

If you or a friend are electronic techie inclined, open the case
and look for a battery.  Typically they look like small stubby
flashlight batteries or are coin shaped like a watch battery.

Try a new one....and DON'T handle the coin-shaped units with
bare fingers...it leaves a thin coating of skin oil on them
which causes premature failures.   (You can get special finger
protectors for handling these, but a DRY UNLUBRICATED cheap
condom works just as well...)

Some times you can do a temp fix by removing the battery and
rubbing the end (flashlight style) or sides (coin style) on a
piece of newspaper, then replacing...watching the fingers...

I would fix this loss of set-up info before worrying about
memory errors...both may be related.  (You MIGHT have a
defective power supply or mother board, but I'd try the quick
fix first...)

            /|
	\'o.O'
	=(___)=

     THPTH! ACKHH!

qaz_wsx@pain (Scott Kelley) (12/24/90)

shedevil@portia.Stanford.EDU (Annie) writes:

> Help!
>
> Here is what my computer does:
>
> Every so often when I boot it up, *after* displaying the numbers which show
> it running up to its 640k, it will go into set-up...it seems to think
> that I have changed the size of the memory (which is actually at 640k).
> Sometimes the set-up display shows 520k memory,, sometimes 640, and I
> think also sometimes 560.
>
> I realize this sounds confusing, but this is what it is doing.
>
> And SOMETIMES it will just freeze up and display this error message:
>
> "Memory Parity Failure".
>

> I realize that something is going in my memory, and I will have to replace it
> but what is it that is going? And how difficult/expensive will it be to
> replace? (And how do I physically replace it?)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Annie
> --
> <*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*
>    Anne (She Devil) Mitchell - Stanford Law - BBS: 415-497-5291,1200,N,8,1
>     No disclaimer necessary as this is *my* account, and besides - nobody
>        would ever accuse anyone else of having these opinions anyway!

        640k will only cost you about $60, just replace it all.  If you have
never done it before it will be tough (sounds like you have an XT w/ DIPPS)
so find a friend who has done it and make them help you.

mrm@sceard.Sceard.COM (M.R.Murphy) (12/25/90)

In article <6ePNu1w163w@pain> qaz_wsx@pain (Scott Kelley) writes:
>shedevil@portia.Stanford.EDU (Annie) writes:
[Scott says he has memory errors, Annie says replace it all]

Now this is about to be a really heretical suggestion, so hold on...

Run memory diagnostics from a good diagnostic package. (IBM(tm) as a minimum).

Replace what it says to replace, or, swap out a chip or pack at a time until
the diagnostic runs clean.

This may take longer than just replacing the whole shebang, but it ends up by
giving the person doing the fixing a warm and fuzzy feeling that they know what
is going on. Whether they do or not :-)

--
Mike Murphy  mrm@Sceard.COM  ucsd!sceard!mrm  +1 619 598 5874

jcburt@ipsun.larc.nasa.gov (John Burton) (12/28/90)

Another thing you might want to look for is dust on the chips/boards
etc... get a can of "dust-off" from a camera store or computer supply
store...

dust partially shorting contacts can cause flakey errors such as
you mention. also its amazing how much dust can accumulate in a *very*
short time...

John Burton
(jcburt@cs.wm.edu)