[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Strange problem with Landmark speed test

albert@endor.uucp (David Albert) (12/25/90)

I'm running MS-DOS 4.01 on a 25Mhz AMI '386.  When I run the Landmark
cpu-speed test (the one with the bar that graphically compares the
speed of the processor to the speed of a 4.77Mhz PC and a 6Mhz AT)
the value I get depends on how many TSRs are loaded -- but not
monotonically.  The value I get is either 25 (approx) or 17 (approx)
and changes from one to the other as I load TSRs.  Some TSRs cause
the change, some don't.  Any idea what's going on?
----------------------------------------------__------------------------------
David Albert				  |  /  )                  /
UUCP: ...!harvard!albert		  | /  /  __.  , ___o   __/
INTERNET: albert@harvard.edu		  |/__/__(_/|__\/  <___(_/_

schuster@cup.portal.com (Michael Alan Schuster) (12/25/90)

>I'm running MS-DOS 4.01 on a 25Mhz AMI '386.  When I run the Landmark
>cpu-speed test (the one with the bar that graphically compares the
>speed of the processor to the speed of a 4.77Mhz PC and a 6Mhz AT)
>the value I get depends on how many TSRs are loaded -- but not
>monotonically.  The value I get is either 25 (approx) or 17 (approx)
>and changes from one to the other as I load TSRs.  Some TSRs cause
>the change, some don't.  Any idea what's going on?

This sounds like a bug in the Landmark code that was fixed in version 1.1x;
systems using page-interleave memory would execute the benchmark at different
speeds depending on WHEREin physical memory the code was actually loaded.
(i.e. on a bank boundary or not). Welcome to the world of benchmarks.
Is this what you bought your computer to run? :-)

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (12/26/90)

   It probably depends on what the TSRs do.  I've found that Landmark doesn't
notice any difference if I put an empty loop into the clock tick to slow the
machine down; it seems to slow down its timer as well.  What TSRs are you
using, and which ones cause a slowdown?
--
 __            __  _  | ...!nexus.yorku.edu!xrtll!silver |  always
(__  | | |  | |_  |_) >----------------------------------< searching

dave@westmark.WESTMARK.COM (Dave Levenson) (12/30/90)

In article <5157@husc6.harvard.edu>, albert@endor.uucp (David Albert) writes:
> I'm running MS-DOS 4.01 on a 25Mhz AMI '386.  When I run the Landmark
> cpu-speed test (the one with the bar that graphically compares the
> speed of the processor to the speed of a 4.77Mhz PC and a 6Mhz AT)
> the value I get depends on how many TSRs are loaded -- but not
> monotonically.  The value I get is either 25 (approx) or 17 (approx)
> and changes from one to the other as I load TSRs.  Some TSRs cause
> the change, some don't.  Any idea what's going on?

I would guess that one or more of your TSRs is hooking the clock
interrupt, and stealing some of your CPU time on every tick.  I
think this interrupt occurs about 18,000 times per second, so even
if the TSR is only looking at its work queue and deciding to do
nothing, it does a lot of that.  I'm not familiar with the internals
of the Landmark test, but it may use the clock-tick itself, and
there may be some contention for it.

--
Dave Levenson			Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave