[net.ham-radio] Xerox 820

sjc@mordor.UUCP (03/28/84)

This is a response to recent pleas for documentation on the Xerox 820, a
version of the Big Board CP/M system which the Xerox Outlet Store ((214)
960-3367) has been selling for $50 per board.

   Digital Research Computers
   PO Box 401565
   Garland, TX 75040
   (214) 271-3538
      For $5 they will send you a nice packet of schematics plus theory
      of operation plus directions on using their EPROM monitor. However,
      the Xerox version differs from theirs in at least three ways: parts
      are positioned and numbered differently on the board, connector
      pinouts are rearranged, and the last stages of the CRT driver have
      been redesigned.

   B.G. Micro
   PO Box 280298
   Dallas, TX 75228
   (214) 271-5546
      These people advertise in the March "Nuts and Volts" magazine that
      they will sell you a blank copy of the Xerox 820 board with EPROMS
      and "complete schematics" for $29.95 plus $2 shipping. Perhaps you
      could persuade them to sell you the schematics alone. I have not
      dealt with them.

   Xerox
   1341 Mockingbird Lane
   Dallas, TX 75247
   Attn: Bonnie Campbell
      The "820 Information Processor Development Guide", part number
      9R80368, is available for $40. It is not clear whether this
      contains software information, hardware information, both, or
      neither. We have one of these on order.

We also have schematics on order from a third source whose address I do
not have with me at the moment. I will post information to the net as
soon as I get it, so the best advice I can offer is to sit tight for a
week or so.

Meanwhile, anyone who has already gotten CP/M to run on an 820 board could
do us all a great service by posting pinouts, advice on the BIOS, etc.

Incidentally, I purchased a switching power supply for the 820 board from the
Xerox Outlet Store for $50. It offers all the voltages the board needs, but
lacks the +24V needed for 8" floppies.--Steve

	(S-1 Project, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)
	MILNET: sjc@s1-c	UUCP: ...!decvax!decwrl!mordor!sjc
				(mailheader return address may not work)

sjc@mordor.UUCP (04/03/84)

Thanks to a good samaritan at SRI, I have a copy of some Xerox 820
documentation. For brevity, I will detail primarily the aspects that
differ from the original "Big Board" from Digital Research Computers of
Texas.  Documentation for the original is still available from DRC
(214) 271-3538.  Xerox 820 documentation (which I haven't seen) is
advertised by BG Micro (214) 271-5546.

Port Address Decoding: no differences

System PIO "A" side:
	Bit0	DVSEL 1
	Bit1	DVSEL 2
	Bit2	Side
	Bit3	Keyboard data available
	Bit4	8"/5.25" disk select
	Bit5	Assigned for future use
	Bit6	Display character set (?)
	Bit7	Bank switching (0=RAM, 1=ROM & CRT & RAM)

Interrupt structures:
	Monitor uses mode 2 interrupts; I register is loaded with 0FF hex.
	Priority chain is organized high to low as follows:

	SIO CHANNEL A
	SIO CHANNEL B
	SYSTEM PIO PORT A
	SYSTEM PIO PORT B
	GP PIO PORT A
	GP PIO PORT B
	CTC CHANNEL 0
	CTC CHANNEL 1
	CTC CHANNEL 2
	CTC CHANNEL 3

General purpose PIO strappings (J11) and pin assignments (J8):

	J11:
		odd numbered pins grounded
		4	Port B READY polarity
		6	Port B lower direction
		8	Port A READY polarity
		10	Port A upper direction
		12	Port B upper direction
		14	Port A STROBE polarity
		16	Port B STROBE polarity
		18	Port A lower direction

	J8:
		odd numbered pins are supposed to be grounded; they
		aren't, so you must ground at least one of them to the
		PIO chip so as to provide a signal ground to the
		peripheral device
		2	Port A STROBE
		4	Port A READY
		6	Port A bit 0
		20	Port A bit 7
		22	Port B STROBE
		24	Port B READY
		26	Port B bit 0
		40	Port B bit 7

CTC Strapping and I/O assignments (J10):

	System clock	2 1	Clock/trigger 0
	ZC-TO0		4 3	Clock/trigger 1
	ZC-TO1		6 5	Clock/trigger 2
	ZC-TO2		8 7	Clock/trigger 3

Video output connector pin assignments (J7):

	6-10 grounded
	3	Vertical sync
	4	Horizontal sync
	5	Video

Serial I/O connector pin assignments channel A (J4):

	1	Protective ground
	2	Transmit data
	3	Receive data
	4	Request to send
	5	Clear to send
	6	Data set ready
	7	Protective ground
	8	Carrier detect
	15	Xmit clock
	17	Receive clock
	20	Data terminal ready

Serial I/O strapping options for channel A (J9): No differences

Serial I/O connector pin assignments channel B (J3):

	1	Ground
	2	Receive data
	3	Transmit data
	4	Clear to send
	5	Request to send
	6	Data set ready
	7	Ground
	8	Terminal ready
	20	Data carrier detect

Keyboard connector pin assignments (J2):

	14-25	grounded
	1-7	bits 0-7
	8	strobe
	13	+5 volts via resistor

Disk drive connector pin assignments (J1):

	20-37	grounded
	1	not connected
	2	8/5.25 select (grounded for 5.25)
	3	not connected
	5	select 1
	6	select 2
	7	side
	8	HDLD
	9	step in
	10	step
	11	write data
	12	write
	13	trk 00
	14	write protect
	15	read data
	16	low current
	17	ready
	18	indep pin +12 or anything
	19	+5

CRT RAM: 3000 hex through 3FFF hex.

I/O ports:
	0-3	Channel A baud (writeonly)
	4	SIO channel A data
	5	SIO channel B data
	6	SIO channel A control
	7	SIO channel B control
	8	GP PIO A data
	9	GP PIO A control
	A	GP PIO B data
	B	GP PIO B control
	C-F	Channel B baud (writeonly)
	10	1771 status/command
	11	1771 track
	12	1771 sector
	13	1771 data
	14-17	CRT scroll register
		if 1, then loc 3000 is at bottom line; if 2, then
		loc 3000 is next to bottom line; if 17, then loc
		3000 is top line, etc.
	18	CTC 0
	19	CTC 1
	1A	CTC 2
	1B	CTC 3
	1C	system data
	1D	system control
	1E	keyboard data
	1F	keyboard control

Power (J5):
	1	-12
	2	+12 CPU
	3	+12 disk
	4-6	ground
	7	+12
	8	+5
	9	+5

Power fed out to monitor (if needed) (J6):
	1	ground
	2	+12

Original Xerox 820 disk formats:

		8"	5.25"
Tracks		77	40
Sectors		26	18
Bytes/sector	128	128
Tracks reserved	2	3
for OS
Capacity	241K	81K

5.25" format is CROMEMCO format, 8" is IBM 3740 format

Monitor entry points are alleged to be the same as the DRC big board.o

Monitor commands are alleged to be the same, except:

	Test command is "X", not "T"
	Verify command is missing
	Boot command is "A", not "B"
	A "T" command connects the keyboard to the printer port like
	a "typewriter"

Setting MSB of displayed character gives blinking attribute.

	--Steven Correll
	(S-1 Project, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)
	MILNET: sjc@s1-c	UUCP: ...!decvax!decwrl!mordor!sjc
				(mailheader return address may not work)

Dbennett%xmm-plexus01.amc@amc-hq.arpa (08/15/85)

Does anyone know where I can obtain modification information for the Xerox-820
computer. Such as Double Density Mod, Hard Disk Mod, etc.  I have two Xerox-820
computers on order and plan on using them for Packet Gateway capability and
Packet Bulletin Board .

Also are there any monthly publications out there for the Xerox-820.

CRC.DlosLV%xerox.arpa@amc-hq.arpa (08/16/85)

	Probably the best source of information for the 820 is a magazine
called "Micro Cornucopia".  There have been many articles about the
things you mentioned in back issues.

	Micro Cornucopia
	P.O. Box 223
	Bend, OR  97709
	(503) 382-8048

	Other than that, we have published a few minor items in our VIP
newsletter here in the Vendor Programs Group at Xerox, Lewisville, TX.
Nothing of a highly technical nature though.

	Chuck Carpenter

bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (08/21/85)

In article <724@brl-tgr.ARPA> Dbennett%xmm-plexus01.amc@amc-hq.arpa writes:
>Does anyone know where I can obtain modification information for the Xerox-820
>computer. Such as Double Density Mod, Hard Disk Mod, etc. I have two Xerox-820
>computers on order and plan on using them for Packet Gateway capability and
>Packet Bulletin Board .
>
>Also are there any monthly publications out there for the Xerox-820.

The best magazine I know of for 820 hackers is Micro Cornucopia.  They
publish bi-monthly, and have a regular 820 column.  Many vendors for
the 820/Big Board market seem to advertise there.  They can be reached
at POB 223, Bend OR 97709, (503)382-8048.

Good luck.

						Bob Halloran
						Sr MTS, Perkin-Elmer DSG
UUCP: {ihnp4, decvax, ucbvax}!vax135!petsd!pedsgd!bobh
USPS: 106 Apple St M/S 305, Tinton Falls NJ 07724
DDD: (201) 758-7000
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own.
Quote: "History is made at night.  Character is what you are in the Dark."