[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] EPS Technologies Screws Me

scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) (12/29/90)

This was supposed to be a story about a successful mail-order buy.
Instead- EPS Technologies screwed me over.

I'd read the good things being said about EPS Technologies here.  My
own research indicated they would be a low mail-order risk.  So on Dec
3, I ordered a loaded 486/33 from them.  I indicated that for tax
purposes it was absolutely critical that I receive the machine before
the end of the year.  No problem I was told, it would be shipped in 8
working days.

On Dec 7, EPS said they would be shipping my system the week of Dec
17.  Dec 21 - nobody returns my calls.  I talk to someone in shipping
who says they will ship on Dec 26.

Dec 24, Todd Booge at EPS "guarantees" my machine will arrive Dec 27.
He says they are having difficulty getting motherboards in, but they're
gonna "pull" one from another machine for me.

On Dec 28, EPS shipping claims my machine is on the bench being
burned-in.  Will be shipped on Dec 31.  I'm more than a little pissed
off now.  Shipping guy, Jack, changes his story and says he can have
the machine in my hands on Dec 31.  I say I don't believe him.

Todd actually returns my call, and apologizes.  Says the 345 Meg disks
were late coming in.  I find it fascinating that there's a different
excuse each time I call.

Finally, I have the sense to cancel the order.  EPS succeeds in
screwing me out of a 1990 business expense I was really counting on.

Other details I've omitted have caused me considerable concern about
this place.  I would recommend you avoid EPS unless you could care less
when/if you receive your equipment, and if you won't be relying on
their technical support.

-scott

nan@math.ksu.edu (Nan Zou) (12/31/90)

scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) writes:

> <bad experience with EPS>

I sympathize with what the guy went through. But that doesn't mean EPS is an
unreliable company. They do tend to promise deliver date a little too early.
When I order my system from them they said it would arrive in a week. I was a
little skeptical and I was right, it arrived 1 week later than promised. But
I didn't complain, because if I ordered from Gateway it would take 2 weeks
anyway. The machine itself is reliable.

						Nan

jokim@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (John H. Kim) (12/31/90)

In article <1990Dec30.182419.21321@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> nan@math.ksu.edu (Nan Zou) writes:
>scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) writes:
>>
>> <bad experience with EPS>
>
> [Told system would arrive in one week. Actually arrived in two]

Well, as long as we're comparing notes on arrival times, they told
me two weeks.  I got it 3 days early (and they phoned to tell me so).

Scott E. still has a valid gripe.  Giving an early arrival time
is one thing.  Repeatedly leading someone on over a period of weeks
and giving bogus excuses is another.
--
John H. Kim                 | (This space to be filled when I
jokim@jarthur.claremont.edu | think of something very clever