[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Upgrading: Transferring old data to new computer

albert@endor.uucp (David Albert) (12/16/90)

I have an 8088-XT with a 30 Meg hard CARD (a Viking -- Western
Digital controller).  I am buying a new '386 with a 40 Meg hard DISK
(and a Western Digital 2FD-2HD controller).

How do I transfer the stuff on my hard card to the new hard disk?

(a) Can I just plug the card into the new '386?  Will that work?  Or
can I get it to work with some fiddling?

(b) If not, is there a program I can use along with a null-modem cable
to quickly transfer the entire contents (almost 30Meg) from old to
new computer?

(c) If none of the above, what would you recommend (short of 100
floppies, since the old XT has only a 360K disk drive)?

Thanks.
----------------------------------------------__------------------------------
David Albert				  |  /  )                  /
UUCP: ...!harvard!albert		  | /  /  __.  , ___o   __/
INTERNET: albert@harvard.edu		  |/__/__(_/|__\/  <___(_/_

v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Shawn E Thompson) (12/17/90)

In article <5085@husc6.harvard.edu>, albert@endor.uucp (David Albert) writes...
>I have an 8088-XT with a 30 Meg hard CARD (a Viking -- Western
>Digital controller).  I am buying a new '386 with a 40 Meg hard DISK
>(and a Western Digital 2FD-2HD controller).
>
>How do I transfer the stuff on my hard card to the new hard disk?

should work very simply just by plugging the hard card into
new system.

Any good telecomm package (PCPLUS) will transfer at high
rates over null modem. Prob' is the limits of XT - I tried
with a PC and couldn't get STABLE data transmission over
19200 (kept getting CRC errors). At 30 Mb, that would
take at least overnight!

I like to use an external tape backup (if you *HAVE* one,
that is :-) ). But you *MUST* backup by files NOT by image!

Shawn E. Thompson "..my sig file was so long, I'm not even allowed a quote..."
v087mxgb@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu | set@autarch.acsu.buffalo.edu
University @ Buffalo|Graduate School of Mechanical Engineering
CAD Engineering|Leica, Inc.|PO Box 123|Buffalo, NY 14240-0123|(716)891-3375

PS (wanna sell your 30Mb hardcard *CHEAP* to a poor grad student?)

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (12/17/90)

Most of the time that I've moved old data/programs from on computer to
another, I've backed it up with Fastback Plus, installed Fastback on
the new computer, and restored the entire directory structure to the
new computer. It works quite fast.
--
Michael Volow, Psychiatry, Durham VA Med Center, Durham NC 27712
919 286 0411 Ext 6933               mvolo@ecsvax.edu

tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin) (12/20/90)

In article <5085@husc6.harvard.edu>, albert@endor.uucp (David Albert) says:

>I have an 8088-XT with a 30 Meg hard CARD (a Viking -- Western
>Digital controller).  I am buying a new '386 with a 40 Meg hard DISK
>(and a Western Digital 2FD-2HD controller).
>
>How do I transfer the stuff on my hard card to the new hard disk?
>
>(a) and [b] deleted...
>
>(c) If none of the above, what would you recommend (short of 100
>floppies, since the old XT has only a 360K disk drive)?

You don't need 100 floppies. I've had to do the same thing once in a while.
I just take three floppies and run dos backup and restore and just swap disks.
It seems to work fine (I haven't had any problems).

Carl Schelin
tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (12/23/90)

In article <1990Dec19.185046.19712@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin) writes:
$In article <5085@husc6.harvard.edu>, albert@endor.uucp (David Albert) says:
$>I have an 8088-XT with a 30 Meg hard CARD (a Viking -- Western
$>Digital controller).  I am buying a new '386 with a 40 Meg hard DISK
$>(and a Western Digital 2FD-2HD controller).
$>How do I transfer the stuff on my hard card to the new hard disk?

   If you, or other people in your organization (assuming this is a business
machine), have to do this frequently, you should get LapLink or a similar
product.  We use it all the time at one of our clients' sites where PC
juggling is a very common affair.  One hint, though:  don't just transfer
_everything_ over, because you may screw up DOS in doing so.
--
 __            __  _  | ...!nexus.yorku.edu!xrtll!silver |  always
(__  | | |  | |_  |_) >----------------------------------< searching

adlacy@vax1.tcd.ie (01/02/91)

In article <1990Dec19. (Carl Schelin) writes:
> In article <5085@husc6.harvard.edu>, albert@endor.uucp (David Albert) says:
>>
>>I have an 8088-XT with a 30 Meg hard CARD (a Viking -- Western
>>Digital controller).  I am buying a new '386 with a 40 Meg hard DISK
>>(and a Western Digital 2FD-2HD controller).
>>
>>How do I transfer the stuff on my hard card to the new hard disk?
>>
>>(a) and [b] deleted...
>>
>>(c) If none of the above, what would you recommend (short of 100
>>floppies, since the old XT has only a 360K disk drive)?
>
> You don't need 100 floppies. I've had to do the same thing once in a while.
> I just take three floppies and run dos backup and restore and just swap disks.
> It seems to work fine (I haven't had any problems).

--

Why not use a null-modem cable and some comms progs?? The RS232 can handle
fairly high speeds of data rate.

Isn't there a really high speed soln. called TOWER BRIDGE for this problem

                                 cheers, Andy!
Andrew Lacy, C.Eng. Ugrad.      |   adlacy@vax1.tcd.ie   (preferred address)
T.C.D.  Ireland.                |   adlacy@unix1.tcd.ie  (alternative address)