[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Programs for 3+years

cant@mrmarx.UUCP (Jim Cant) (12/15/90)

Can anyone recommend some programs for a 3+ year
old to play with on a IBM AT?  There is a mouse
available and EGA (although only with monochrome
monitor).  Public domain, free, and for-profit
retail suggestions are all welcome.

I suspect that any suitable program will be a game which is just
fine and all I really want or expect.

Thanks

jim cant

kens@hplsla.HP.COM (Ken Snyder) (12/18/90)

 cant@mrmarx.UUCP (Jim Cant) writes:

> Can anyone recommend some programs for a 3+ year
> old to play with on a IBM AT?  There is a mouse
. . .
----------

   There are several shareware program I have used with pre-schoolers (3-5
years old).  These are:

   AMY's First Primer
   Animal Math / Mosaic
   Play 'n Learn
   Teach-a-Tot

   Each of the programs in these sets is fairly immune to random keyboard
banging and some are more useful than others.  I bought them all from
California Freeware.  They run from $10 - $20 to register.  Amy's First
Primer seems to get the most use at our house.

Hope this helps,
  _____________________________ K _ E _ N __________________________________
 |                                                                          |
 | Ken Snyder                ms/loc:  270 / UN5                             |
 | LSID                      div   :  Lake Stevens Instrument Division      |
 | Hewlett-Packard Co.       gte/tn:  (206) 335-2253 / 335-2253             |
 | 8600 Soper Hill Road      HPDESK:  Ken_Snyder@hpa100/ux                  |
 | Everett, WA  98205-1298   un-ix :  kens@hplsla@hplabs                    |
 |__________________________________________________________________________|

tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin) (12/20/90)

In article <4775@mrmarx.UUCP>, cant@mrmarx.UUCP (Jim Cant) says:

>Can anyone recommend some programs for a 3+ year
>old to play with on a IBM AT?  There is a mouse
>available and EGA (although only with monochrome
>monitor).  Public domain, free, and for-profit
>retail suggestions are all welcome.
>
>I suspect that any suitable program will be a game which is just
>fine and all I really want or expect.
>
>Thanks
>
>jim cant

I tried to send this to you, but my system doesn't seem to like the .UUCP
extension.

3-4 years ago (when my youngest was between 3 and 4), I used a game
called My ABC's. She really loved it. It has a matching game, numbers,
letters and has some nice graphics. The music got to me after a while
("turn that sound off!") but she was able to manipulate it so she could
turn the sound off herself (which was amazing in itself since you had to go
through option menus to get to them].

I'm sorry, but I don't know the name of the company now (it's been a while
since she has played with it).

Carl Schelin
tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu

roger@wrq.com (Roger Fulton) (12/30/90)

In article <1990Dec19.190702.20416@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin) writes:

>3-4 years ago (when my youngest was between 3 and 4), I used a game
>called My ABC's. She really loved it. It has a matching game, numbers,
>I'm sorry, but I don't know the name of the company now (it's been a while
>since she has played with it).

This program is called

ABC FUN KEYS

     by

Courtney E. Krehbiel
199 N El Camino Real
Suite F175
Encinitas CA 92024

It's shareware and looks pretty good.  I don't know if it's
in the archives or not.

Roger Fulton
roger@wrq.com

tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin) (01/02/91)

In article <13567@milton.u.washington.edu>, roger@wrq.com (Roger Fulton) says:

>In article <1990Dec19.190702.20416@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin) writes:
>>
>>3-4 years ago (when my youngest was between 3 and 4), I used a game
>>called My ABC's. She really loved it. It has a matching game, numbers,
>>I'm sorry, but I don't know the name of the company now (it's been a while
>>since she has played with it).
>
>This program is called
>
>ABC FUN KEYS
>
>     by
>
>Courtney E. Krehbiel
>199 N El Camino Real
>Suite F175
>Encinitas CA 92024
>

>It's shareware and looks pretty good.  I don't know if it's
>in the archives or not.
>

>Roger Fulton
>roger@wrq.com

Sorry, the game I mean is a commercial product. It had (can you believe it!)
copy protection. I downloaded a patch from a BBS to break the protection
so I could load it on my hard drive.

The game was only 15 bucks or so. I guess I'll have to see if I still have it
around somewhere.

Carl Schelin
tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu