[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] HP Laser jet questions

kchiu@triton.unm.edu (12/27/90)

	Hello, just 2 questions...

	1.  Is there a program available that would let you emulate
	Epson printers on a HP Laser Jet II or III?

	2.  Does anyone have the Document file for the Laser Jet printers
	(The *.sfp font files) explaining the structure of the font files,
	I writing a program that would require me to use the font files.

	If you have any infos on any of the programs, please mail me whatever
you have or direct me to a ftp site where I can find them.

						Thanks...
						kchiu@triton.unm.edu

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (12/28/90)

In article <1990Dec27.064817.18838@ariel.unm.edu> kchiu@triton.unm.edu
>	1.  Is there a program available that would let you emulate
>	Epson printers on a HP Laser Jet II or III?

   HP is supposed to be shipping in january 1991 (but nobody has seen it yet
so I'd look about march,,,

>	2.  Does anyone have the Document file for the Laser Jet printers
>	(The *.sfp font files) explaining the structure of the font files,
>	I writing a program that would require me to use the font files.

   HP has a very nice technical programmers guide to HP PCL V or whatever.
It's available now,....  even for the HP III
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (12/28/90)

kchiu@triton.unm.edu writes:

>	1.  Is there a program available that would let you emulate
>	Epson printers on a HP Laser Jet II or III?

My gosh, is there still software that doesn't support the Laserjet?

What a waste of a LaserJet!
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.             EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary        VOICE: (303)231-1014

dold@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (12/30/90)

in article <marshall.662332948@wind55>, marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) says:

> kchiu@triton.unm.edu writes:

>>	1.  Is there a program available that would let you emulate
>>	Epson printers on a HP Laser Jet II or III?

> What a waste of a LaserJet!

I have an Imagen Laser printer that will emulate an Epson.  What it produces
looks exactly like a Xerox copy of an Epson printout, not a 300DPI printout.
--
---
Clarence A Dold - dold@tsmiti.Convergent.COM            (408) 435-5293

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (01/03/91)

In article <1749@mitisft.Convergent.COM> dold@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) writes:
>in article <marshall.662332948@wind55>, marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) says:
>
>> kchiu@triton.unm.edu writes:
>
>>>	1.  Is there a program available that would let you emulate
>>>	Epson printers on a HP Laser Jet II or III?
>
>> What a waste of a LaserJet!
>
>I have an Imagen Laser printer that will emulate an Epson.  What it produces
>looks exactly like a Xerox copy of an Epson printout, not a 300DPI printout.

	But to answer the question... the answer is yes. Insight Dev. makes
a product called LaserControl, which is a TSR that allows HP LJ's to look like
a number of other, more simple-minded printers, like the Epson. The point is
well-taken, though: do not expect it to produce beautiful 300dpi graphics.
However, many programs only support Epson or IBM graphics printers, so there is
a need (I needed it...).

				Cheers,
				Dan Ts'o		212-570-7671
				Dept. Neurobiology	dan@rna.rockefeller.edu