[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] adding a hard disk drive

marka@phi.UUCP (Mark Allen) (12/31/90)

A friend recently bought an old Leading Edge Model D, 8088, CGA, 512K, 2 floppy
disk drives.  He would like to add a hard disk drive.  Does anyone recommend
any hard disks for these machines.  Also will the present controller card
support a hard disk.  Checked his manuals and can only find reference to floppy disks 3 and 4.  Would like hear anyone's experience with this.

  Thanks in advance.
--
      _______                                                           _    _
   __/_______\__     Mark Allen    marka@phi!ncrwic!ncrlnk             (_)__(_)

jayapal@motcid.UUCP (Jay Jayapalan) (01/04/91)

marka@phi.UUCP (Mark Allen) writes:

>A friend recently bought an old Leading Edge Model D, 8088, CGA, 512K, 2 floppy
>disk drives.  He would like to add a hard disk drive.  Does anyone recommend
>any hard disks for these machines.  Also will the present controller card
>support a hard disk.  Checked his manuals and can only find reference to floppy disks 3 and 4.  Would like hear anyone's experience with this.

My recent experience is with adding a hard drive to an XT clone. I think
Leading Edge is an XT clone also. Under this assumption, the follwing
information may be useful. I purchased a seagate 40 megabyte 28ms drive
(SK251-1, I think) which provides an MFM interface and Wester Digital
Gen2 hard disk drive controller card. (~ $280 for both from Soft Warehouse).

I think your friend will need a separate disk drive controller for hard
disk but the one I bought was only about $40. In spite of the fact my
machine is an ancient 4.77 Mhz model adding this hard drive has enhanced
the performance quite a bit as for as reading and storing files go.

Jay Jayapalan

Motorola Inc.	 Opinions expressed are mine and does not involve
			Motorola Inc.

uunet: motcid!marble!jayapal